CPKhuk

I would think its going to have enough length and mass that shaping away some of the back will reduce tiring weight to be swung without reducing effective cutting power. And the quality of steel is going to ensure it stays in good shape.
Lesser knives need mass because it dulls fast enough that it needs that weight to power thru brush and limbs with a weak edge. This thing is not gonna have that issue.....Hell no.....

I agree 100% with sickpuppy1 sickpuppy1

Kind of a jack of all trades I want to be able to carry ot for a stretch and not fatigue when using it to clear a lot of brush!

I still use a beater kabar khuk because it is thinner than a traditional easy to swing and light to carry

not sure. Doesn't really matter, since whatever form this khuk takes- production wise- it will have a distinct transition between bevels. That said, I prefer a soft transition, so that's probably what this unit will have when I begin testing

someone asked about how the fuller is done. Here's a part answer;
HpUk9kL.jpg

Looking good!

Where did you get the steel broach (tool name?) Set??

Looks like a handy set!

a knife maker of some esteem sent them to me as a gift years ago, when I was embarking on one of my first knives. He enjoyed the WiP thread I made about it and I think he felt my pain, since all his knives are made without power tools

I found out today that a .25" hole will save me .06875oz. It's .55oz less today than it was yesterday and I haven't done the math but I think I might be able to drop enough weight from the handle to compensate for the scales and fasteners. Feels nicely balanced, for a khukuri, and if I can maintain that feeling I think we'll have a pretty awesome knife on/in our hands!

just curious whynot start with 1/4 inch stock? -- from 5/16 down to 4/16 would give you a 20% base weight savings ... also, that much grinding for a production cpk will be murder on whatever grinders/belts are used

I love the design so far :) but I expect production realities will translate to 1/4" stock :)

Back