CPM-154 VS CPM-S35VN

Which stainless would you choose or prefer for a 4 inch EDC blade?

• CPM-154 @ 60-62 HRC

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • CPM-S35VN @60-62 HRC

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
The RWL34 is cold rolled and might be processed better. I have a bar of it and some CPM154 to compare.
Same chemistry

The other Same two steels are also same chemistry but non PM and a little cheaper.
-ATS-34, Japan, Hitachi
-154CM, USA, Crucible.

Have and use both steels. In my experience there is no comparison between the two on edge retention. I make my own knives from CPM154 and own several folders from the "big boys" using S35vn. My blades retain their shaving edges much longer in the field gutting and processing elk, deer and such than do the S35vn blades. This past year I gutted and skinned a nice 6x6 bull and then two white tails and my blade still shaved. I cant get that kind of edge retention with the other steel.

Have and use both steels. In my experience there is no comparison between the two on edge retention. I make my own knives from CPM154 and own several folders from the "big boys" using S35vn. My blades retain their shaving edges much longer in the field gutting and processing elk, deer and such than do the S35vn blades. This past year I gutted and skinned a nice 6x6 bull and then two white tails and my blade still shaved. I cant get that kind of edge retention with the other steel.

How hard do you typically run your CPM-154 blades, and how hard are the folders? Just curious to hear someone say CPM-154 has better edge retention of the two I imagine the folders must be ran softer? Good to hear it can stand up to that kind of work in the field!

I heat treat, temper my blades from 60.5-61.0 Rockwell. My Sebenza, I honestly think there was a glitch in the ht process. I could get it shaving sharp, but letter opening, a cardboard lid on a box would take away the edge virtually immediately. It was traded off last week.
I am a huge fan of Microtech blades and know Tony the owner. With his knives I could get that scary sharp blade we all seek very easily....wicked sharp. I recently bought one of his SOCOM elites (a limited production model) made from M390 steel.....couldn’t wait to carry it and play around with it! My first resharpening with it @20 degrees left a sharp, but not shaving sharp edge. It wasn’t until later I read that M390 shows difficulty with taking a hair popping edge, even though it’s many other attributes really shine.

Back