CPM 3v pitting/staining

My bad about the video. Fixed it.

The staining is pretty minor imo. Autosol is similar to Flitz in paste form. Just a few seconds of rubbing and it's as good as new.

Note: The tree/bush sap staining may vary due to the difference in plants as I'm living in Singapore(Asia).

Hahahahahaha!
1. Get new knife
2. Make shavings and curls in the kitchen

I love it. New knives beg to be used!

Seriously though, thanks for the info on autosol and vegetation/use in your area.

I'm not sure of the location, but when I read about someone's GSO 10 pitting he was chopping/clearing light vegetation.

Hahahahahaha!
1. Get new knife
2. Make shavings and curls in the kitchen

I love it. New knives beg to be used!

Seriously though, thanks for the info on autosol and vegetation/use in your area.

I'm not sure of the location, but when I read about someone's GSO 10 pitting he was chopping/clearing light vegetation.

Pretty sure yall are talking about Chiral's video and he also said that he put it back in the sheath wet and left it in there overnight.
So as long as you give it a quick wiping off before you store it, it should be ok.

Pretty sure yall are talking about Chiral's video and he also said that he put it back in the sheath wet and left it in there overnight.
So as long as you give it a quick wiping off before you store it, it should be ok.

You're absolutely right. I feel silly not realizing that.

I think I saw that thread before I knew there was a SURVIVE! Sub forum and recognized the cast of main characters.

This thread helped me a lot, thx. I go for the 4.1 in 3v
I live in a pretty wet environment (germany) and was concerned about rust but I will take care of that blade and it must be possible to not get those ugly pits on such a high quality steel.
Altough I wonder whats happening behind the handle scales and if the blade smells and tastes like some other non stainless knives (japanese knives).

General purpose knife 4.1,
CPM 3v because of an (at least slightly) easier sharpening than CPM 20cv, finer edge and better toughness if really someday needed (batoning, chopping).
I know that CPM 3v is not that usual for a knife of that size but you don't need CPM 20cv absolutely to cut cardboard or other common stuff. Edge retention should be just fine at both steels.

Wrong decision ? Any doubts ?

Too bad the staining happens from sap since my knives are used in the woods.

It will happen from any residual material left on the blade, especially organic material. A simple wipe is all it takes, unless, you're like me and don't mind if you're tools aren't pretty ;)

riverstalker, I live on the SF coast here in CA, plenty wet and salty, never had a problem with the wet environment. I'd put money that on a blind test, no one could tell the difference in use and sharpening of 3V vs 20CV.

Back