Cpm m4 at 61 hrc?

Hello all, this is my very first original post here. I am in the market for a bravo 1 or custom model with the same design. The brk Bravo 1 in cpm m4 is calling to me, as well as the one in cpm cruwear. Bark river aims for 61 hrc (60-62) with their m4, while their cruwear is at about 62 (61-63 I believe). Now I know m4 would USUALLY claim the edge retention category, but I'm quite curious if any Smiths or owners here have ever ran cpm m4 at this low of hardness. I'm curious if it will STILL hold an edge better than the cpm cruwear, at these hardnesses. This thread pertains to edge retention only, and hopefully we can get some info to the buyer(s) on this subject. Yes I know brks reputation problems blah blah blah, save it please. The amount of info on bark rivers cpm m4 is basically non existent, so here I am asking. The specific information on these steels at these hardnesses is also (for me) proving elusive. Im not a fanboy, dont even own one yet. So any actual help on the subject would be hugely appreciated. If you do have an issue with brk, but do have knowledge on this steel at this hardness, just comment on the steel stock/dimensions and act like we're talking about your favorite brand lol, thanks everyone.

I'm not sure a point or two hrc would make any significant difference; probably blade geometry would be just as significant. Mike Stewart at Bark River knows his steels, speaking from my own experience with his blades (A2, 52100), so I would have no concern about either steel.

I'm not sure a point or two hrc would make any significant difference; probably blade geometry would be just as significant. Mike Stewart at Bark River knows his steels, speaking from my own experience with his blades (A2, 52100), so I would have no concern about either steel.

Not to quibble, but actually a point or two of HRC would make a significant difference. The HRC is not a linear scale, it is exponential, so a change of a point or two is a big change.

Not to quibble, but actually a point or two of HRC would make a significant difference. The HRC is not a linear scale, it is exponential, so a change of a point or two is a big change.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. (Note to self: do research...:oops:)

I have a Benchmade mini Grip at a lower hardness for M4. The knife held an edge forever when I used it during an interstate move. It went through loads of cord and tape. This was excellent performance, at a time when I didn't have access to sharpening stones.

Back