CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

4140 is around 20 ft-lbs CVN well below 64 Rc. 3V and L6 are single digit ft-lbs when tested with CVN.

My mistake. I meant your toughness testing, using 2.5 x 10 x 55 mm unnotched samples with the 55 mm length along the rolling direction, rather than standard Charpy V-Notch testing.

My mistake. I meant your toughness testing, using 2.5 x 10 x 55 mm unnotched samples with the 55 mm length along the rolling direction, rather than standard Charpy V-Notch testing.
OK I see. Getting 30 ft-lbs at 64 Rc may still be difficult/impossible. Higher carbon and higher hardness are one of the best ways to reduce toughness.

Two seven inch chef knives made by me and Bob Kramer (who am I kidding, he's doing all the hard stuff) in the works! :D

jY68PUh.jpg

uMmncRq.jpg

dwQd18S.jpg

0S8vroe.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. Larrin.

Excited to one day have some of your unicorn steel in a knife.
Question…
Since this is a jack of most trades steel (I say this with praise and respect) I see this being great at EDC for folders and mid size fixed blades. What 5” fixed blade profile and grind would make the most of this steel? I can see it having a relatively thin BTE of around 15 thou convex grind with a high saber grind and drop point. Would you agree with these assumptions? Thanks. I am planning a knife to be an all round camp/hunt/bushcraft knife with magna cut.

PS. I can’t find data on the toughness in ft lbs for H1 steel. Do you have data for that?
Thanks.

Dr. Larrin.

Question…
Since this is a jack of most trades steel (I say this with praise and respect) I see this being great at EDC for folders and mid size fixed blades. What 5” fixed blade profile and grind would make the most of this steel? I can see it having a relatively thin BTE of around 15 thou convex grind with a high saber grind and drop point. Would you agree with these assumptions? Thanks. I am planning a knife to be an all round camp/hunt/bushcraft knife with magna cut.

PS. I can’t find data on the toughness in ft lbs for H1 steel. Do you have data for that?
Thanks.
There are even larger knives that have used the steel as well. Make any 5” fixed blade you want. A high saber grind drop point would be great.

No data on H1 toughness exists. It would likely be high since the strength is quite low and it doesn’t have any carbides.

Dr. Larrin.

Question…

Thanks.
I have a 5 inch fixed blade in Magnacut in the works right now. I am getting. A saber ground blade with what I would call a drop point profile. I am getting it in thicker stock and at just 60 hardness as I want to maximize toughness. The beauty of the steel is, though, you could go with a larger blade and the steel could support it; a thinner and harder blade would be excellent too. I think it is perfect for folders, small fixed blades, kitchen knives, and would be suitable for smallish choppers too. Geometry and hardness will play some role.

Two seven inch chef knives made by me and Bob Kramer (who am I kidding, he's doing all the hard stuff) in the works! :D
Were you able to finish them up yet?

Were you able to finish them up yet?

Nah, not yet. We only had a few hours to work/talk so we got the blades ready for heat treatment and stopped there. Bob is going to heat treat them when he has some time and then I'll be heading back over there a time or two to finish them up with him.

Wow. A synapse just fired deep inside the reptilian part of my brain. It signalled that I just stumbled across significant information, to be re processed. Perhaps I won’t feel so fancy using my D2 steel anymore. Ya, maybe that’s it. Must re process.

There are even larger knives that have used the steel as well. Make any 5” fixed blade you want. A high saber grind drop point would be great.

No data on H1 toughness exists. It would likely be high since the strength is quite low and it doesn’t have any carbides.
Thank you Dr!

I don’t know if this has been stated anywhere as of yet but I just watched an interview with Chris Reeves son, Tim, at blade show by someone from bladehq. At any rate, he was carrying a Sebenza 31 in MagnaCut steel that he was prototyping for ‘future’ use in production.

I don’t know if this has been stated anywhere as of yet but I just watched an interview with Chris Reeves son, Tim, at blade show by someone from bladehq. At any rate, he was carrying a Sebenza 31 in MagnaCut steel that he was prototyping for ‘future’ use in production.

Is it this video by DeadboxHero DeadboxHero ?

He did a bunch more interviews with people at Bladeshow talking about magnacut - they are on his youtube.

Larrin getting his magnacut Sebenza:

Back