CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

Is the .063 too thin for a knife? That is what I ordered but I’m wondering if I should go thicker?

I have a puko out of .07 15n20 that is pretty handy. It could be thinner.

After heat treat, removing decarb, it may be close to. 06 at this point. I keep meaning to. Get my calipers and see what it ended up at.

Thats some wishful thinking. They just now decided to switch over to s45vn.

They would be wise to rethink this decision.
What's the point to switch to S45VN when MagnaCut is (nearly) here?
According to tests done by Larrin you have only upsides when you compare 61RC S45VN to 62.5RC MagnaCut : Finer carbide structure, 60% more toughness, same edge retention and much better corrosion resistance.

Last edited:
What about machinability and the ease of the heat treat? The properties more important to makers.

Took a month to sink in, eh?

This feels like a jab for replying a couple of weeks after the last post. Is that now considered necroposting? I wouldn't have bumped a year old thread for a minor comment but I really hope a couple of weeks isn't a problem.

This feels like a jab for replying a couple of weeks after the last post. Is that now considered necroposting? I wouldn't have bumped a year old thread for a minor comment but I really hope a couple of weeks isn't a problem.

I think you're being overly sensitive. My post, that you quoted, was addressed to another member who I felt was, (perhaps unintentionally), treading into an area that I feel is a private matter between Larrin and those with whom he engages in business.

Your quoting my remark to discuss "his deserving to be rewarded" was outside of the parameters which my reply addressed.

If you feel a need to take offense...I'm very sorry. Necroposting truly had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: DMG
& fwiw, my question came from my belief in something approaching a meritocracy
...I think most bf members believe that good work should result in a good reward...

I didn't ask Larrin Larrin to give us the break down of what % he might make from magnacut, but I think most bf members would like to know that he does indeed get something for his good work

too often we hear about inventors or developers or creators being robbed

I purchased his book because I know he'll get some of it... and will encourage more excellent writing from him - we all benefit
I feel many of us would like to know if buying a magnacut knife results in supporting his good work also

I certainly hope so, and I expect many of us would like to know as well

If you feel a need to take offense...I'm very sorry. Necroposting truly had nothing to do with it.

I do not feel offended. Thanks for explaining. I should have tried to express the sentiment I felt without quoting your post.

Ok I will give some unpopular opinions. The best sword steel is 420 with at least 0.35% carbon. Super high toughness and good achievable hardness and of course excellent corrosion resistance. You don’t need wear resistance in a sword and it makes sharpening all of that edge take longer. A stainless 3V could be made, however.

I don’t have that much interest in “nitrogen” steel craze. The definition of nitrogen steel isn’t consistent and nobody seems to understand what nitrogen can and can’t do. We could make a “saltwater” stainless steel without significant amounts of nitrogen.
Dr Larrin
Please oh please make a nitrogen 3V!
I have been a good boy. What can I do to bribe you back to your bat cave and create this new super 3V”N”

Dr Larrin
I have been a good boy. What can I do to bribe you back to your bat cave and create this new super 3V”N”

I would like to see Larrin improve upon Z-Tuff and 3V by pushing the strength-toughness envelope.

30 ft-lbs CVN impact toughness at 64+ HRC. Can it be done?

I would like to see Larrin improve upon Z-Tuff and 3V by pushing the strength-toughness envelope.

30 ft-lbs CVN impact toughness at 64+ HRC. Can it be done?
4140 is around 20 ft-lbs CVN well below 64 Rc. 3V and L6 are single digit ft-lbs when tested with CVN.

Dr Larrin
You already quoted me saying that I didn't think nitrogen was necessary to make better steels.

Very impressive balanced steel .

I can only hope this will eventually become more widely available on affordable production knives . :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back