CPM S30V and 154CM

I am a fan of S30V, and the heat treat on the only JK in that steel is spot on. I keep thinking something larger, like a Kephart in S30V would be cool, but have talked myself out of it since it just does not take on the wonderful 01 patina.
I just got a Rule #9 in S30V. It kicked my original O1 Rule 9 off my belt. It's that good.

I just got a Rule #9 in S30V. It kicked my original O1 Rule 9 off my belt. It's that good.

Ha! That is one thing I am afraid of. I do sometimes worry about knocking off my favorites with something I like more...it sometimes sucks being a sentimental accumulator. Man does a Rule 9 in S30V sound nice, something to ponder!

I’m pretty sure a stainless Kephart would be against the law.

Stainless Kephart in a good steel, wow, that would be a good one for summer days in a humid environment. In cm 154 would be good, in 1/8 thickness. Uh oh, the wheels are turning in my mind!!, slowly (need a little grease) but moving.

I like S30V but 154cm is pretty nice for fixed blades. From the testing Larrin has done, I am surprised on the toughness of the steel, leading me to think it would make be pretty decent in some of the bigger fixed blades (5-6") that I have traditionally gone with carbon steel.

However, for simplicity I think either is pretty good. I think 154cm is more traditional and helps that it's easier to sharpen, but S30V has better abrasion resistance and enough toughness for smaller fixed blades, like EDC. I think S30V is a near perfect EDC steel for most people. It seems like either is common enough now that you can get it pretty easily for knives.

I wish more of Larrin's charts had the mid to low 50's hardness for the carbon steels since plenty of them are run softer, like 1075, and it would be nice to know how they stack up.

From Knifesteelnerds.com https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/06/03/the-history-of-3v-cru-wear-and-z-tuff-steel/
Vasco-Die-toughness-stainless.jpg

I was thinking that offering a choice of something different than O1 would help to increase orders, I thought it was a good idea, so I’ll plan on ordering some in July.
Just need to figure out what sizes to order, don’t want to have stock sitting around with no need for it, they don’t give it away! Hoping to get some clues on what to get.

If they are smaller blades like 2.5 a 3.5 then I say the popular 3/32, if they are larger 3.5 to5 inches then 1/8.

Is there much difference in s30v vs s35vn? Or advantages one over the other? I have heard that s35 may be easier to sharpen while s30 has more wear resistance. Would the cost of these two steels make 154 cm more attractive knowing it also has good qualities?

There is very little difference between the two. 154CM has a cost advantage over the others. I’ll do more research this weekend, taking Connie for tests today.

Is there much difference in s30v vs s35vn? Or advantages one over the other? I have heard that s35 may be easier to sharpen while s30 has more wear resistance. Would the cost of these two steels make 154 cm more attractive knowing it also has good qualities?

From my experience, which I'm sure if far less than John's, in use S35Vn and S30V act nearly the same, assuming the same HT. My exerience has been mostly spyderco but some benchmade. In theory, S35vn is slightly tougher at the cost of edge retention and S30V is the opposite. 154cm is a lot tougher than both, very good stain resistance, but less abrasion resistance. S30V/S35V benefit from the high vanadium content in regard to abrasion resistance. It does really well cutting things like cardboard or catra cards. I think 154cm is going to take a finer edge, certainly takes it easier.

Here's a current thread about S35VN and CPM-154, actually. Seems the opinions and experiences are split, though Larrin referenced that his tests showed similar to what I mentioned, since his info is what I've been using for nerding out on steel lately.

He has some good HT info on 5160 and I think 52100, both hing on my non-stainless love list. I'm really surprised at how well 5160 performed with the HT he prescribed, running it in the high 50's but it's still tough as nails.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/cpm-154-vs-cpm-s35vn.1666895/

Last edited:
I know 3/32”x 1”and 1/8” x 1 1/5” 154CM will be purchased for sure. That would cover the small knives and Kephart size knives. I’m just hoping to get orders for it.

John,
Could you do a RWC in 3/32" s30v or 154CM with the same type of grind you just debuted?

I dont know anything about stainless. I do know my grandpa told me as a boy.( spike a mans knife is made of American made carbon steal. Sharpen and oil every morning when you have your coffee. throw the communist stainless steel crap in the trash.) As he gave me my first knife on my 6th birthday he scared me so I remeber it.Old ww2 vet

The smaller one you showed in another thread in SS interests me!

That hurley creek deluxe looks like a sweet little knife in SS. I have one on order. I think it would be a nice EDC and hiking knife, maybe roll it into the bird and trout roll as well.

Last edited:
Back