1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CPM S30V and 154CM

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Jun 8, 2019.

1. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Excuse me for asking, but what’s wrong with a stainless Kephart?:eek:

2. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    Traditionally they were carbon steel, but in your rainy area stainless makes sense.
    Brad is just teasing. I’ve known him for close to 40 years, he has an “unusual “ sense of humor.

3. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    WWKD? What would Kephart do?

It does lead one to wonder, what would these gents have used had they had access to good stainless steels back then. I know much of the knives were forged so it may not have mattered, but then again, maybe they would've changed their methods.

4. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    A lightweight necker made from 1/16” 440C would make a great knife for fishing and canoeing.

5. Sturubu

Sturubu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Kydex??? Absolutely not. Naugahyde.

JK Knives and B JACKSON like this.
  6. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    never mind

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Sturubu likes this.
  7. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    As it stands right now, I have enough stainless on hand for all but two of the knives ordered. If there is no more interest I may cancel those two orders, it would be more cost effective than ordering steel that won’t be used. I’ll wait a bit longer to see if that changes, if not I’ll contact the customers.
    Basically, what I’m saying is if you want something out of stainless, order now so I know how to proceed with planning.

8. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    If there is a model that you might want in stainless, email me and I’ll let you know if it’s available.

9. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Looking through my box of current and old designs, it looks like 90% of them can be made out of stainless.

10. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Any interest in knives in 1/16” 440C?

11. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Personally, that's too thin for anything above maybe the hurley creek or other very small knife, or an extreme slicer like a kitchen or caping knife. I would worry about toughness in outdoor use. Could make a wicked fillet/B&T knife (hurley creek again).

I think 3/32" could be pretty solid.

I'm trying to think of the super thin knives I've had, like an opinel, spyderco dragonfly, and chaparral, and they were great slicers but certainly light use knives (great for most EDC). I know the opinel carbons are supposed to be pretty darn tough, just not sure how that works out for a fixed blade for more uses. I think the opinel is the only one I've had right at the 1/16" thickness, which I like for that knife but I do have some concerns that it will wear away fast from sharpening. It's cheap, so less a concern, but on a custom knife I think I would be more of a consideration.

The big plus of a 1/16" blade, it's pretty hard to get it to be dull since it's already so thin. To be honest, this is purely speculation on my part and limited experience. I think it would interest me to try, and maybe I should spend more time with the opinel.

I do find that 2.5-3mm blades (I like the metric system) is my favorite spot for nearly any blade, 4-5mm for a harder use knife (camp knife, bk7 or bk9 for reference), and over 5mm for chopping or needing the ability to do non-knife tasks with a knife.

12. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Later today I’ll post a picture of our most used knife, an all around kitchen knife I made about 6 years ago. My wife prefers it over everything else.

bikerector likes this.
  13. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    If you are interested in a knife in one of these steels, contact me now. If there is no interest I won’t be ordering any.

14. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 16, 2007
    How many knives do you need to have lined up to be worth getting the steel?

15. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I am going to order it.

16. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I’m placing the order in early August, it will probably be the only order I place seeing orders are not coming in. If anyone wants something now is the time to get your order in.

17. protourist

protourist Obdurate member Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I went fishing on the jetty yesterday. I bought some frozen squid on the way to use as bait I had nothing to cut the squid on other than the rocks.
    My stainless Rule #9 handled the cutting with absolutely no problem and no edge damage.
    John, I think you've nailed it with the stainless.

18. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks! I usually spend a few months researching and making crude test knives before I offer any type of steel.

Rob Babcock and protourist like this.
  19. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 16, 2007
    What thickness and size of stock? Which knives can you do in that steel? I'm probably in for one, depending on which ones we're talking about.

20. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    3/32 x 1 and 1/8 x 1 1/2, so basically everything I currently offer except the Belt Hawk. If in doubt email me with any questions.

Rob Babcock and protourist like this.