CPM S30V and 154CM

Excuse me for asking, but what’s wrong with a stainless Kephart?:eek:

WWKD? What would Kephart do?

It does lead one to wonder, what would these gents have used had they had access to good stainless steels back then. I know much of the knives were forged so it may not have mattered, but then again, maybe they would've changed their methods.

A lightweight necker made from 1/16” 440C would make a great knife for fishing and canoeing.

As it stands right now, I have enough stainless on hand for all but two of the knives ordered. If there is no more interest I may cancel those two orders, it would be more cost effective than ordering steel that won’t be used. I’ll wait a bit longer to see if that changes, if not I’ll contact the customers.
Basically, what I’m saying is if you want something out of stainless, order now so I know how to proceed with planning.

If there is a model that you might want in stainless, email me and I’ll let you know if it’s available.

Looking through my box of current and old designs, it looks like 90% of them can be made out of stainless.

Any interest in knives in 1/16” 440C?

Personally, that's too thin for anything above maybe the hurley creek or other very small knife, or an extreme slicer like a kitchen or caping knife. I would worry about toughness in outdoor use. Could make a wicked fillet/B&T knife (hurley creek again).

I think 3/32" could be pretty solid.

I'm trying to think of the super thin knives I've had, like an opinel, spyderco dragonfly, and chaparral, and they were great slicers but certainly light use knives (great for most EDC). I know the opinel carbons are supposed to be pretty darn tough, just not sure how that works out for a fixed blade for more uses. I think the opinel is the only one I've had right at the 1/16" thickness, which I like for that knife but I do have some concerns that it will wear away fast from sharpening. It's cheap, so less a concern, but on a custom knife I think I would be more of a consideration.

The big plus of a 1/16" blade, it's pretty hard to get it to be dull since it's already so thin. To be honest, this is purely speculation on my part and limited experience. I think it would interest me to try, and maybe I should spend more time with the opinel.

I do find that 2.5-3mm blades (I like the metric system) is my favorite spot for nearly any blade, 4-5mm for a harder use knife (camp knife, bk7 or bk9 for reference), and over 5mm for chopping or needing the ability to do non-knife tasks with a knife.

Later today I’ll post a picture of our most used knife, an all around kitchen knife I made about 6 years ago. My wife prefers it over everything else.

If you are interested in a knife in one of these steels, contact me now. If there is no interest I won’t be ordering any.

I’m placing the order in early August, it will probably be the only order I place seeing orders are not coming in. If anyone wants something now is the time to get your order in.

I went fishing on the jetty yesterday. I bought some frozen squid on the way to use as bait I had nothing to cut the squid on other than the rocks.
My stainless Rule #9 handled the cutting with absolutely no problem and no edge damage.
John, I think you've nailed it with the stainless.

I went fishing on the jetty yesterday. I bought some frozen squid on the way to use as bait I had nothing to cut the squid on other than the rocks.
My stainless Rule #9 handled the cutting with absolutely no problem and no edge damage.
John, I think you've nailed it with the stainless.
Thanks! I usually spend a few months researching and making crude test knives before I offer any type of steel.

Back