CPM S30V and 154CM

I’ll be placing the order first week of August, this will probably be a one time thing.

I personally can’t think of a better candidate to be made from stainless than the Bluegill, the most perfect EDC fixed blade I offer.

I personally can’t think of a better candidate to be made from stainless than the Bluegill, the most perfect EDC fixed blade I offer.

I was scoping this one out when I was thinking what candidates would be good with another stainless option. How do you think the bluegill compares to the hurley creek for things like, ease of carry (assuming pocket carry), feel in hand, slicing of softer materials performance (tape, pouches, cardboard or harder plastic probably the maximum), etc? I think the straighter handle of the hurley creek is probably a preference of mine but the bluegill is pretty.

I also thought the compact tool could be a winner is stainless.

The Hurley Creek is a better option for larger hands, it has a slightly longer handle.

Now you've got me thinking... which could look good with a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot blade for EDC? Maybe the B&T could do the same but I think only a sheeps would look good of those two straight edged options with the flowing handle shape.

The original Worker would be a good choice in stainless. It’s a good size for pocket carry, and a little more versatile than the Bluegill.
Can’t wait for my stainless Bluegill!

IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS A KNIFE MADE FROM EITHER OF THESE STEELS ORDER NOW! I AM ORDERING STEEL ON AUGUST 2ND. AFTER THAT I DO NOT KNOW IF I WILL PLACE ANY MORE ORDERS FOR THESE STEELS .

Now you've got me thinking... which could look good with a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot blade for EDC? Maybe the B&T could do the same but I think only a sheeps would look good of those two straight edged options with the flowing handle shape.
John made me a Hurley Creek in semi-wharncliffe, I will dig out the picture.

John made me a Hurley Creek in semi-wharncliffe, I will dig out the picture.

That would be cool. I did place an order for one of those in S30V so I imagine he's thinking of making basically the same thing, or similar.

I'm lost on all this super steel lingo

3V is not a stainless steel, but a super tough tool steel. S30V is stainless, but less tough, probably tough enough for most of us. If you want to hit you knife with a hammer, 3V. S30V, generally speaking, holds a better edge and handles moisture very well.

Maybe for simplicity, if your more familiar with some traditional steels, from a performance perspective, 3V performs like a "super" 5160 and S30V performs like a "super" D2.

Last edited:
I’m ordering stainless Friday, if you want in, now is the time to order.

Two more days until I close this thread. I thought the option of two different stainless would be a good idea.

John, definitely doing a Worker in s30v and probably one more model if I can make up my mind!

Steel was ordered, enough for the orders and a little extra just in case. Don’t know if I will be placing future orders, doesn’t look like enough interest.

Back