CPM440V

Sal, What has been Spyderco's experience with this steel? Specifically, How many have you seen (heard of) with chips? Can you give me an idea of how many CPM440V blades have gone out, and how many have chipped? (Been returned or complaints) I am anxiously awaiting the release of the REKAT collaboration. CPM440V and a rock solid lock.
I like the idea of the slide release also. About how thick would the overall knife (sans clip) be? 1/2 inch would be nice.

Danny

Danny - we've got a few thousand out in the field. Spyderco was the first manufacturer to use this steel in production, so there is little history. One of the disadvantages of being first. It took us two years to develop the right grinding wheels. Followers need only to order "the same wheels that Spyderco uses". Saves a lot of R&D time and money. Those companies that are willing to try something first need to be given credit for their courage to try something new in production. there are always glitches, losses, errors...the "new frontiers" are difficult (and expensive) to push.

The only time we've seen chips in the edge is when the rockwell is too high (CPM440V performs better at lower rockwells than ingot steels - Rc56/57 works best), or when the blade is too thin. Inclusive angle is more critical when getting very thin. We have had very few complaints about the steel. The majority of complaints on the early Military Model was build quality of the handle. (Which we've improved).

We are pleased enough with the performance that we will use CPM440V in the Bob Terzuola Starmate, the Martial folder / Rekat rolling lock (SpyderKat?), and the Native during '99.
sal

Back