CQC 7A

I spend about 30 minutes "buffing" the scales of my new Emersons on an old pair of jeans, with the knife still assembled (clip off), as soon as I get them. I just watch TV while I'm doing it, and when I'm done I blow the knife out with canned air.

This basically gives it several weeks or months of pocket wear all at once, and makes the knife pocketable without shredding my pants. Slightly less grippy, but not functionally less so for me. And it avoids generating G10 dust, like you would with actual sandpaper.

I didn't come up with this trick, but I don't remember where I read about it.

Just did a good denim rub for maybe ten minutes and I achieved desired results. Awesome idea

I really like the CQC7A
Here are some pictures for comparison
In addition to the PM2 and cqc7a, I have added 0562 and 0640 from ZT and a large 21
mPBLv76.jpg

bEd5Oqo.jpg

For completely different usage I kind of feel some aesthetics similarities with the bugout
ijWBQFE.jpg

I really like the CQC7A for it is a compact design but still a workhorse
When I compare it to my PM2, which a great performer too, I really understand how different are both concepts

In the perspective of building a collection i think it make sense to get a waved Emerson
But beside the tacticool aspect of the wave opener, IMO for most of us the waveless are much better :)

By the way check the ZT0640
IMO it is an underestimated knife
It is clearly an emerson design the you get all what is good in an Emerson waveless design with the material and machinery capabilities ZT can offer

I changed the overlays because I really think CF doesn’t match the purpose of an emerson design ;) but that was my only “concern”
The pocket clip need a break in period but after some time it is actually great

I have put some OD greens micarta overlays on mine and it is great

Therom Therom

I handled the Emerson ZT and it just isn't rough enough around the edges for me.

However I see more CQC in my future.

I had a 7A for a while, which I chose specifically because I have zero need or interest in a waved model. Good knife, nicely built, no functional problems, nicely centered and quite smooth enough. A tad heavy for the size maybe, but hey, it's a 1990s design, from an era before all the ultralight obsession.

The big problem for me was ultimately the standoff construction. The stock ones are too thin and frankly quite feeble, replacing them with the much larger MXG Gear standoffs was a big improvement, but IMO the CQC-7 with its square butt needs to have a backspacer. Standoffs can be OK in handle design that is more rounded and sweeping, but now I was just left with a big honking gap around the lanyard hole, which, to be honest, really bugged me. A drop-in backspacer to slip over the standoffs would have solved my issue but I didn't find one available on the aftermarket, so the knife was eventually sold. Pity, really, because I wanted to like it enough to keep.

I had a 7A for a while, which I chose specifically because I have zero need or interest in a waved model. Good knife, nicely built, no functional problems, nicely centered and quite smooth enough. A tad heavy for the size maybe, but hey, it's a 1990s design, from an era before all the ultralight obsession.

The big problem for me was ultimately the standoff construction. The stock ones are too thin and frankly quite feeble, replacing them with the much larger MXG Gear standoffs was a big improvement, but IMO the CQC-7 with its square butt needs to have a backspacer. Standoffs can be OK in handle design that is more rounded and sweeping, but now I was just left with a big honking gap around the lanyard hole, which, to be honest, really bugged me. A drop-in backspacer to slip over the standoffs would have solved my issue but I didn't find one available on the aftermarket, so the knife was eventually sold. Pity, really, because I wanted to like it enough to keep.

I couldn't agree with you more. Although the standoffs dont bother me. They are better than the old set up by far.

This knife feels like its crawled out of a machine shop in the late 90s and I love it. Refined but so simple. And the blade is great. Very capable and I'm actually impressed with the edge holding of the steel. Well done.

Was able to pick one up and it’s on the way.
Really like the waveless. Looking forward to this CQC-7 :thumbsup:

Anyone have a pic of the standoffs being used currently? I remember not caring for them on a CQC-7A model.

Anyone have a pic of the standoffs being used currently? I remember not caring for them on a CQC-7A model.

The standoffs are thin barrels and they suck. So do the screws imo. But Emerson will send you a pile of them so not a huge deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: P2P
Back