Photos Crab feast with some friends

Been getting together with 2 other families almost every weekend, since the season began. It was my turn to get the crabs this week. I pick them up from a customer of mine, who is a commercial fisherman. All alive and kicking.

20210130_124706_resized.jpg 20210130_104945_resized.jpg 20210130_104931_resized.jpg

All cooked in fermented black bean sauce and ground pork with egg wash, and devoured.

20210131_182332_resized_1.jpg

20210131_182344_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
Marvelous detail in photographs.

Bon Appetite

Last edited:
Oh Man! Im droolin now! You know them are boy crabs eh? Jeezus they look like them congrejo Caribbean crabs I used to catch. They had hard shells but great to eat!
OK i got a story now i got to tell....HE HE>>>
After a good rain on the BVI island of Tortola the mountain land crabs would make their way down to the sea and do their thing (spawn). After a good rain I would drive the seaside roads at night knowing they had to cross the road to get to the sea to do their biz and I could catch them crossing the road. What you do is take a five gallon bucket and a piece of plywood and when you see one crossing the road you go chase it down and slam the bucket down over the carapace of it and stuff the legs inside the bucket one at a time then slip the plywood underneath it and then stash it in another bucket in the car. Keep in mind these land crabs get to six feet in diameter and one of their claws is big as my hand. The other claw is dwarfed but they can really do some damage to you if they get latched on to ya. Anyway if you can cool them on ice and flip them upside down it pretty much immobilizes them kind of like a shark. When i got home I threw them in a big bucket flipped them upside down in the refrigerator and went to bed figuring i would clean them in the morning. He He... My mother in law was staying with us that night and when she got up in the morning the first thing she did was go to the fridge...Ha!... I heard a blood curdling scream and one of them big arse crabs crawled out the fridge and went into hiding in the room nearby and well. ..No need to explain the rest but was surely a time to remember. It went into a storage area and eventually I found it and it got eaten but was sure good! Looked kinda like those crabs cul but sure scared the heck out of my mom in law! I can only imagine that crab crawling out of the fridge while mom looking for some coffee creamer! I always worried about them getting loose while driving home but never thought about them escaping from the fridge at home! Sorry just had to tell that story! Sure was good to eat tho. Mom ate some too!

Oh Man! Im droolin now! You know them are boy crabs eh? Jeezus they look like them congrejo Caribbean crabs I used to catch. They had hard shells but great to eat!
OK i got a story now i got to tell....HE HE>>>
After a good rain on the BVI island of Tortola the mountain land crabs would make their way down to the sea and do their thing (spawn). After a good rain I would drive the seaside roads at night knowing they had to cross the road to get to the sea to do their biz and I could catch them crossing the road. What you do is take a five gallon bucket and a piece of plywood and when you see one crossing the road you go chase it down and slam the bucket down over the carapace of it and stuff the legs inside the bucket one at a time then slip the plywood underneath it and then stash it in another bucket in the car. Keep in mind these land crabs get to six feet in diameter and one of their claws is big as my hand. The other claw is dwarfed but they can really do some damage to you if they get latched on to ya. Anyway if you can cool them on ice and flip them upside down it pretty much immobilizes them kind of like a shark. When i got home I threw them in a big bucket flipped them upside down in the refrigerator and went to bed figuring i would clean them in the morning. He He... My mother in law was staying with us that night and when she got up in the morning the first thing she did was go to the fridge...Ha!... I heard a blood curdling scream and one of them big arse crabs crawled out the fridge and went into hiding in the room nearby and well. ..No need to explain the rest but was surely a time to remember. It went into a storage area and eventually I found it and it got eaten but was sure good! Looked kinda like those crabs cul but sure scared the heck out of my mom in law! I can only imagine that crab crawling out of the fridge while mom looking for some coffee creamer! I always worried about them getting loose while driving home but never thought about them escaping from the fridge at home! Sorry just had to tell that story! Sure was good to eat tho. Mom ate some too!

That's funny as hell! 6' in diameter, damn! That's huge. Yea, the fishermen out here aren't allowed to catch any of the females, they have to be released. This law has now been in effect for a couple decades I believe, to help sustain the crab population for the next season. I have a contact with some of the crab boats, and I send them an order the day before I want to pick up, and they'll save me some big arse ones. Generally, they are about 2.25lbs on average, and they'll save me the ones closer to 3lbs!. They generally sell each crab for $20. I have a buddy who ends the season selling crabs for one day, at $10 each, and you have to call ahead, to let him know how many you'd like. We usually order like 10 - 15 on that day, and do a crab boil with shrimp, sausage, clams, mussels, potatoes, and of course, sourdough garlic bread to soak up all that goodness.

Man! That sounds great! Sourdough garlic bread? WOW! Love that idea! Yall get dungeonous crabs there right! Those crabs there look like them but havent seen the blue ones. Love them all tho! They are about $20 a piece here frozen. I think they are about two pounds.
OK Edit! Those are not cooked yewt in the first photos right? After you cook them they turn red. OK I think im with ya! YuuumMMMM!!!

Yea, the ones in the photo are live. We have the blue crabs too, but they are usually flown in live, they aren't caught locally.

Back