Recommendation? Crack or very deep scratch on 31 sebbie?

Crack or Scratch

• Crack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scratch

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmikaz3

Gold Member
So, i recently polished by hand, no power tools or machinery, my 31 due to this very hairline scratch. But i started to wonder if its a scratch or a crack. I polished up today again by hand with various lapping films from number 15 to 3 micron. But that line doesn’t disappear. It does faded up from before but still here and it’s harder to see without proper lighting, im kinda perplexed now. The line doesn’t go through to the other side of the blade therefore im not entirely sure if its a hairline crack or a very deep scratch that i haven’t been able to buffed out yet.

Your thoughts, do cracks behave like that and started out of nowhere in the middle of the blade? If it is a crack, does it grow bigger to eventually break the blade?

Return the knife to warranty is currently out of option, being in Canada.

CB59-D07-A-6596-4090-8-B56-5-B3-AF2186058.jpg

5-BC6-D517-8-E5-C-4649-888-D-9744-F009-EFBC.jpg

Last edited:
It's a deep scratch to my eye. I've run into scratches like that every once and a while, I'd advise learning to live with it because you'll run yourself ragged trying to polish it out :(.

It's a deep scratch to my eye. I've run into scratches like that every once and a while, I'd advise learning to live with it because you'll run yourself ragged trying to polish it out :(.
True! I actually ran out of films trying to polish that damn line! I also believe its a deep scratch since it does show up on the other side of the blade, but just want to be sure here!

The vertical grind marks look much deeper than that horizontal mark.
And yet I managed to buff most of them out. That line was given the most time and it still there. Makes me wonder.

Grab yourself a 30x/60x jewelers loupe and you’ll be able to tell for sure. I had a Shirogorov with a cracked blade and there was a very distinct feeling when running my thumbnail over it; different than a scratch. A crack is “sharper”.

APqQIbb.jpg

Grab yourself a 30x/60x jewelers loupe and you’ll be able to tell for sure. I had a Shirogorov with a cracked blade and there was a very distinct feeling when running my thumbnail over it; different than a scratch. A crack is “sharper”.

APqQIbb.jpg
Thanks for the advice! Just bought one, i will see in a couple days. But i do not feel it over by fingernail though, so fingers crossed!

Based only on the picture and what appears to me heavy modification, it could be a crack. Did you get the blade too hot when polishing?

Based only on the picture and what appears to me heavy modification, it could be a crack. Did you get the blade too hot when polishing?
That would be impossible, i polished by hand, no power tool or machine but it does get warm like human temp warm. The line was there before i started the whole polished thing

Last edited:
So, i did try to see under a microscope though. Nothing appeared out of order except those lines which is this line
C0906421-C60C-4B18-9118-4D8E5232FE43.jpeg 90213C38-7EF8-4D9A-A24A-4638C1D5D1AC.jpeg F19CCDD8-48E8-4505-9586-CDE72F172469.jpeg 88E33791-28BD-4520-93B5-88AF1B2A14B2.jpeg
44DF6CD0-6D4C-47D1-8441-1097C030EF6C.jpeg

What do you think?

Last edited:
Okay.... i think im overthinking it... worst thing is it will snap down the road. By then ill just enjoy it as is. Seems like nothing can be done for now.

Just use it

No worries, it get used. Just wanted to refinish the blade then stubbled on an unsettling scratch/crack. Normally, this blade, since it a satin blade to begin with, it get used on lighter task. Or else a would use my Inkosingo or Zaan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back