Cracks at the cho: PICTURES ON Pg 3

Himmmm. I can see very tiny black lines extending down into the blade from the base of the cho and yes all my khuks are/were HI's. Maybe it is not a crack I'm seeing but it looks like one. They are extremely fine and not long at all. Maybe 1 32" of in inch long. I'll try to get a pick of what I'm talking about.

You have to understand that photos are what everyone is waiting for. Without the photos, right or wrong, you're wrong, simply put. If you need help in posting photos, let me know.

Last edited:
I don't know what SS40 is after, but he does have a sizable khukuri collection. Those of you implying he's a troll, SS40 is a long time HI customer, pre-BirGorkha, having dealt with Uncle Bill when this was still a mail order business.

I'm in no way shap or form bashing HI or khukuries. I've been around a long time and knew Bill for years before he was on line. NONE of my khuks have failed EVER! I just happen to examine all the little details and noticed that most of my knives have what appear to be cracks at the cho. I'll get a pic up soon.

Several dozen or near 100 photos would be nice. One photo tells one knife.

I agree.

Thank you for the other suggestion off-site as well, I cannot send PMs, so I'm writing here. I appreciate your input and once again sorry for sounding at least a little bit too 'loaded'.

I agree.

Thank you for the other suggestion off-site as well, I cannot send PMs, so I'm writing here. I appreciate your input and once again sorry for sounding at least a little bit too 'loaded'.

I am glad to hear you got it.....had to go that route as it seems i cannot PM either....i was wondering how i would ever know you received and you took care of that for me.
...now to break out the illudium Q34 explosive space modulator and erase it before seen by others, if possible...ah....success....sorta.....need more illudium.....
(If a mystery, look up loony toons and marvin the martian).

Several dozen or near 100 photos would be nice. One photo tells one knife.

Those photos Bill posted for me were a long time ago and my collection has grown several times over. I could not post photos back then so Bill did it for me. I have sold most of my collection to fund guns and to help with medical bills. I have almost 100 guns too these days and have sold over 100 to help pay medical bills and to fund other projects. You want pictures of my guns too because I can post them if you like. I'll even put on a piece of paper "mtngunr's proof" or what ever you want me to put in the picture to prove they are mine.

I'm working on several pictures of these cracks everyone it telling me Im full of crap on. Very hard getting the tiny details caught on camera.....stay tuned.

It would be so very nice if people would take the time to read stickies before posting; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/903477-Warranty-Issues

I have to say that I'm mostly with Berkely on this also.
I find it hard to believe that this problem wasn't addressed by Uncle Bill when it was originally posted in 2003.
I personally also find it hard to believe that one member would start with a couple dozen cracked cho khukuri and end up with over 100 of the same. The probability of this is nearly off the charts impossible. I'm not saying that a cracked cho can't happen. It can, but not in the numbers that the op seems to be suggesting.

Until SkagSig40 takes the time to personally address this problem with Yangdu by either sending her pictures....or better yet sending a knife back to her for scrutiny, anything posted here is speculation. If he feels that this is a warrantable problem caused by manufacturing defect and upon inspection, Yangdu feels the same, I am fully confident that he will be made whole as HI has always done.

Forge marks still left after polishing are also a possibility.

That's also what I think it is since he sees cracks in the photos I posted.
The inside edge of the Cho is a tricky place to work with for hand made blades. Can also just be file marks.

I'd like to see a photo of a so called cracked specimen.

I am glad to hear you got it.....had to go that route as it seems i cannot PM either....i was wondering how i would ever know you received and you took care of that for me.
...now to break out the illudium Q34 explosive space modulator and erase it before seen by others, if possible...ah....success....sorta.....need more illudium.....
(If a mystery, look up loony toons and marvin the martian).

Haha, no mystery, a favorite of mine (still)!

Ok I have tried all afternoon to get good clear photos and these are the best I can do. These "cracks" are extremely fine and hard to see. They are black and not a scratch like in the green circle on one of the pictures(I can tell the difference between a crack and a scratch). I'm willing to bet a lot of you guys have these and just don't know it or can't see it. I missed a lot of mine.
I marked the cracks with red dots where they end. Most of them can seen see on the side of the knife and also through to the inside of the cho so I know they go through the steel. This can see seen best on the Sanu cross marked Khukuri. The pictures consist of khukuris from the very early 1990's through to Vim being the latest I own from 2007-2009. All are HI khuks.

Maybe these are not cracks but they appear to be and yes, they were on most of my aprox 100 khukuries but not all. I'm guessing about 65-75% had this issue. I used many of them and never saw a crack move or had a blade failure. I'm not calling these cracks a problem or a flaw. I just sometime worry for no good reason(OCD) they they may fail one day and want to know if anyone has ever seen this or a failure caused by this. I forgot I asked about this years ago as posted above. I have been out of the khukuri game for a while but thinking about getting back into the knives again and revisiting the forum more and talking about knives and learning more. Sorry for the poor grammar...Out of time and have to go so I'm trying to speed post this with the pictures:

Not sure why the last thread was locked. I NEVER ONCE called this a problem and certainly not looking for warranty repair. Just trying to see what the many others have noticed on this and IF there was ever a failure because of it. Here is my last post because I don't have time to retype everything and I have to leave now and I want to clear this up. I'll try to clean up the post grammar when I get back:

Ok I have tried all afternoon to get good clear photos and these are the best I can do. These "cracks" are extremely fine and hard to see. They are black and not a scratch like in the green circle on one of the pictures(I can tell the difference between a crack and a scratch). I'm willing to bet a lot of you guys have these and just don't know it or can't see it. I missed a lot of mine.
I marked the cracks with red dots where they end. Most of them can seen see on the side of the knife and also through to the inside of the cho so I know they go through the steel. This can see seen best on the Sanu cross marked Khukuri. The pictures consist of khukuris from the very early 1990's through to Vim being the latest I own from 2007-2009. All are HI khuks.

Maybe these are not cracks but they appear to be and yes, they were on most of my aprox 100 khukuries but not all. I'm guessing about 65-75% had this issue. I used many of them and never saw a crack move or had a blade failure. I'm not calling these cracks a problem or a flaw. I just sometime worry for no good reason(OCD) they they may fail one day and want to know if anyone has ever seen this or a failure caused by this. I forgot I asked about this years ago as posted above. I have been out of the khukuri game for a while but thinking about getting back into the knives again and revisiting the forum more and talking about knives and learning more. Sorry for the poor grammar...Out of time and have to go so I'm trying to speed post this with the pictures:

According to the mod log, you must've accidentally locked it yourself. It is now open and this merged with the other.

It would be so very nice if people would take the time to read stickies before posting; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/903477-Warranty-Issues

I have to say that I'm mostly with Berkely on this also.
I find it hard to believe that this problem wasn't addressed by Uncle Bill when it was originally posted in 2003.
I personally also find it hard to believe that one member would start with a couple dozen cracked cho khukuri and end up with over 100 of the same. The probability of this is nearly off the charts impossible. I'm not saying that a cracked cho can't happen. It can, but not in the numbers that the op seems to be suggesting.

Until SkagSig40 takes the time to personally address this problem with Yangdu by either sending her pictures....or better yet sending a knife back to her for scrutiny, anything posted here is speculation. If he feels that this is a warrantable problem caused by manufacturing defect and upon inspection, Yangdu feels the same, I am fully confident that he will be made whole as HI has always done.

It is because I never considered it a problem and never noticed till many years into collecting. I will never look for warranty repair unless the blade actually failed. In the 25 years I have collected HI khukuries, I have had 2 handles fail. Bill replaced one and I have one chiruwa handle wood slabs fail and I'm keeping it for a project to repair on my own soon.

Well, i work aircraft structures and electrics and have about 20yrs of structures, so i know cracks in metal.

The photos are suspicious, however, one dimensional photos are generally only good for illustrating something already proven, rather than something for speculation.

I have never seen or heard of a complaint personally, nor heard of the outcome after making a warranty claim first....

If it were my knife, i use them hard and look them over well, and had i an issue such as you seem curiously concerned over but not curious enough to send to Bill to see what was going on, i would have taken it to work and cleaned the area thoroughly to get to fresh steel in all 3D and then done a dye penetrate inspection if looking at it with magnification did not settle the issue.

And if i had determined it a crack, i would have sent it to Bill with extreme curiousness as to why in the world these cracks on 60%-70% of knives owned were propagating across the grain rather than with the grain and why they did not run fully side to side of the blade first, before propagating on a corner exclusively.

Although suspicious, since the mystery marks do not seem to be following normal patterns of cracks, they would be assumed surface marks until proven otherwise..

Have you even cleaned these to fresh metal to see if still there or reappearing? I'll not ask again why posted rather than dealt with through normal channels first....this latter part is akin in many minds to badmouthing a wife before discussing matters with her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, I'll check my stuff tonight, and see if I can find anything.

In answer to your inquiry of has anyone heard of a failure due to cho cracks. No I have never heard of a failure, much less a crack in or near the cho.

Alas, I only have 2 years of experience with khukuris, and they have all been HIs or KLOs, like cold steel, etc...

I totally agree. I'm a bit mixed on this. I know Chris has been around for a long time, but I'm not sure what he is referring to or expecting to hear. As is usual, our fine forumite friends tend to get their dander up when a somewhat vague post is thrown up and left to stew. I don't think this is a bad thing as we have always watched out for HI's best interests. I'm not saying we should stick our heads in the sand and fingers in our ears to any issues or criticisms. Addressing these sort of things is what makes HI the best in the business. Still, I know how easy it is to get attached. HI hasn't been able to shake me after 13 years;)

Let's just keep our heads and our minds open, friends.:)

Thanks SG. I apologize for being vague and figured this topic was probably hashed out many times over the years but I guess not. I love HI and will be buying more in the future. I'm just shocked that I have some many knives with these tiny "cracks" and no one else has seen this! I surly cant be the only one. I wish I could pass all mine around for you all to inspect. Im willing to bet if I could inspect everyone else's knives that I'd find these same tiny cracks on a lot of them. They are extremely fine and hard to see.

Again I'm not saying this is a problem! I just want to understand what is going on with all my chos.

Well, i work aircraft structures and electrics and have about 20yrs of structures, so i know cracks in metal.

The photos are suspicious, however, one dimensional photos are generally only good for illustrating something already proven, rather than something for speculation.

I have never seen or heard of a complaint personally, nor heard of the outcome after making a warranty claim first....

If it were my knife, i use them hard and look them over well, and had i an issue such as you seem curiously concerned over but not curious enough to send to Bill to see what was going on, i would have taken it to work and cleaned the area thoroughly to get to fresh steel in all 3D and then done a dye penetrate inspection if looking at it with magnification did not settle the issue.

And if i had determined it a crack, i would have sent it to Bill with extreme curiousness as to why in the world these cracks were propagating across the grain rather than with the grain and why they did not run fully side to side of the blade first, before propagating on a corner exclusively.

Although suspicious, until proved otherwise, since the mystery marks do not seem to be following normal patterns of cracks, they would be assumed surface marks until proven otherwise..

Have you even cleaned these to fresh metal to see if still there or reappearing? I'll not ask again why posted rather than dealt with through normal channels first....this latter part is akin in many minds to badmouthing a wife before discussing matters with her.

1)I have and I have not seen any of the "cracks move".

2)I have not.

3)I have NEVER bad mouthed Yangdu or HI. I met Bill in the 1980's and bought my first knife in 1991. He was a good friend and I spoke to him on the phone monthly. If anyone thinks I'm bad mouthing HI, they need to get thicker skin! I NEVER once said this issue was a flaw or needed warranty repair. I simply want to know why I see this in most of my chos and why others do not or cant see it in theirs(I figured this was a common issue and talked about here). I want to understand it and what it is or what is going on with it. Probably no way to really know what this is without huge tests being done. 'll just keep using my knives and if they fail at the cho we will know it is a problem. I don't think we will ever see that though.

Last edited:
Back