CRK Cheat Day

I don't mean to be blasphemous, but the basic old Endura paired with K390 has me reconsidering how many CRK folders I really need to own.

I don't think you're being blasphemous at all. Lets face it, we are all "knife enthusiasts." Everyone has a different point of view for their ROI/diminishing returns from a basic cutting tool to something from CRK or (insert your favorite manf). I think for many of us PRIDE of ownership / Emotional attachments outweighs the simple "cutting" needs any basic knife can do.

For my needs will brand X knife do the same end job? I'm sure it would, but I don't get the same "experience" I get from using my CRK. From the silky smooth hydraulic operation, to the rock solid lock up, to the simplicity of splitting the material. Its having the same consistent experience with the brand that I enjoy. I was fortunate to be gifted my first, which created an emotional bond with the brand. I've been fortunate to be able to provide that same experience to others, which is why I personally have supported and will continue to support the brand.

Thats the best part is you get to figure out what needs you want fulfilled and find the right tool to fit that need. That can change from time to time, but hey that is life right? Anything extra, is just well, extra!

Enjoy it all in good health!

Last edited:
i2dcVI1.jpg

Great combo right there! Love that they are both users too!

Cheat day would not fall into the same class. either it is a traditional..

2D483019-D858-4099-B9C8-65921931DBC8.jpeg

Or a fighting (self defense) knife like this 2000 Emerson with wave

7E0C9B88-3B9A-40D4-B0B8-2DBCD2ECD443.jpeg

Anything else in a similar catogory would be serious cheating

I almost always have a small side piece with me but anymore it seems the only knife that ever completely unseats a CRK from my pocket is my Spyderco Brouwer. It's like everything I love about the Sebenza with a few added features I like such as an opening hole and lockbar insert/stabilizer combo. And it only comes in one color which happens to be my favorite color. The one and only thing I might change about it would be a more attractive blade design/shape/grind/finish. But here's another kicker: it's the only knife besides my CRKs that has ZERO side-to-side blade play whatsoever.

6nY6ByJ.jpg

That's frickin' badass as hell.

thank you,

The best thing about this scale, and the reason I took this project on, is it makes the two halves of the knife the same thickness. I never really like the lop-sided design of the Spyderco Southard. Having the blade off-center looked goofy to me with the thick G10 scale and the thin Ti lock-side.

Now it it symmetrical in thickness.

thank you,

The best thing about this scale, and the reason I took this project on, is it makes the two halves of the knife the same thickness. I never really like the lop-sided design of the Spyderco Southard. Having the blade off-center looked goofy to me with the thick G10 scale and the thin Ti lock-side.

Now it it symmetrical in thickness.
I find that especially cool because one of my main draws to micarta is its invention by Westinghouse for use as an electrical insulator, and as an electrician by trade I enjoy having the chance to use such a material on my tools. What size breaker did you need to get a piece of micarta big enough?

I find that especially cool because one of my main draws to micarta is its invention by Westinghouse for use as an electrical insulator, and as an electrician by trade I enjoy having the chance to use such a material on my tools. What size breaker did you need to get a piece of micarta big enough?

The Micarta was part of a phase-barrier inside a 2000 amp Westinghouse breaker from the 1950s maybe. It was being thrown away, so I opened it up on a whim. The minute I saw that orange micarta, I thought “someday I’ll have a use for this”

As an aside, I recently had to buy a 4 foot by 8 foot 1” thick sheet of true Micarta for a project where Micarta was specc’d and they would not accept G10 (glastic). The sheet held some very heavy lugs inside a large transformer and they were worried the standard red G10 we use would not be strong enough, or would break down in the oil (the sheet ended up immersed). That sheet cost $2500 and was beautiful. Also a nice amber colour. Would have made a great coffee table!

I notice even in 2021, where almost all electrical applications are using G10 (Glastic), when real strength is needed, like tie-bars inside breakers, it is still Micarta that you find in there. Glastic is typically used for phase barriers and guarding.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1 in the pocket all week. Wish I would have bought a back up.
Another one of my favourites. I agree. I wish I owned at least two. Spyderco’s best heavy user knife. I rank it above the PM2 if I’m being honest,

I’ve been debating cheating with a Spartan SHF; but then it’s always - nah.

Back