Photos CRK Umnumzaan Thumb

DJ&S

Gold Member
Hey all. Newbie here excited to join the forum. I've been a firearms enthusiast for years and have just started to branch out more to knives. For Christmas my brother bought me a ZT 0562ti and I bought myself an Umnumzaan about 10 days ago. My thumb after trying to break in the Umnumzaan for the last 10 days or so below, complete with a few kisses from the ZT. I'm not complaining, it's totally worth it and I'm fairly certain I've entered into a rabbit hole that I won't be returning from. Nice to meet everyone and I'll keep any dumb questions to myself for now.

ABm5FaQl.jpg

XKKnG7Ql.jpg

LJBd85rl.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the show and sounds like you started off right with two amazing examples of folding knives.

I don't carry my 0562cf as much as I should, it's an absolute homerun.

Post your pics to an online host of your preference and copy and past the BB code and simply paste it in your reply.
Here is an obligatory pic of my 0562cf.

Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

Thanks alot for the direction and very nice cf version of the 0562!Trying again via Imgur..

Welcome to the show and sounds like you started off right with two amazing examples of folding knives.

I don't carry my 0562cf as much as I should, it's an absolute homerun.

Post your pics to an online host of your preference and copy and past the BB code and simply paste it in your reply.
Here is an obligatory pic of my 0562cf.

Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your thumb looks like that from using the Umnumzaan? You're doing it wrong (unless there's something wrong with the knife).
Even if you are one of those incessant fidget flickers, there's no reason that a properly opened knife should leave knicks on the knuckle or below the nail. If you did the ones at the tip opening the knife, perhaps you should find another pastime...at least for a while. (;))

Enjoy your knives :thumbsup:

Your thumb looks like that from using the Umnumzaan? You're doing it wrong (unless there's something wrong with the knife).
Even if you are one of those incessant fidget flickers, there's no reason that a properly opened knife should leave knicks on the knuckle or below the nail. If you did the ones at the tip opening the knife, perhaps you should find another pastime...at least for a while. (;))

Enjoy your knives :thumbsup:

The knuckle nicks are from my first time dropping the ZT blade down and the tip of my thumb is just from pushing the thumb studs in an upward motion as suggested by Apostle P and a few other YouTubers. I've opened it the proper way too, but trying to flick it upwards when it's new and not broken in seems to invite some damage. At first I found that if the pivot screw is even a hair tighter than it needs to be, even traditional non flicking opening along the contours slowly is met with resistance. I will say it's not like that anymore, but the first few days it was.I agree with you though, I was doing it wrong too.

Last edited:
Flicking is doable on a CRK but tough on the digits! But don't worry there's a few hundred if not more GREAT models out there that are very flickable.

My suggestion is grab one of the great edcs next...a Hogue mini grip or benchmade version or Spyderco PM2!

Flicking is doable on a CRK but tough on the digits! But don't worry there's a few hundred if not more GREAT models out there that are very flickable.

My suggestion is grab one of the great edcs next...a Hogue mini grip or benchmade version or Spyderco PM2!

I appreciate the recommendations. I did get an email today announcing that Three Rivers are about to restock their Atoms and Nuetrons, but have my eye on a few Benchmade/Spyderco models too. Nobody ever mentioned to me that this was an illness..

If I was in your position, I'd give my thumb a break until it was completely healed but good luck with whatever you do. I have a ZT 0562Ti and I like it a lot, but it’s a substantive piece to play with. If you'd like a light weight, small “fidget flipper” I’d suggest trying a ZT 0450Ti. I’ve had one for a couple years and it’s the smoothest flipper I’ve ever had.

If I was in your position, I'd give my thumb a break until it was completely healed but good luck with whatever you do. I have a ZT 0562Ti and I like it a lot, but it’s a substantive piece to play with. If you'd like a light weight, small “fidget flipper” I’d suggest trying a ZT 0450Ti. I’ve had one for a couple years and it’s the smoothest flipper I’ve ever had.

Thanks. I've seen the Nick's review on the 0450ti, he echoes the same high levels of enthusiasm I've seen across the board. Good one to keep in mind for sure, I'm impressed with ZT.

The umnumzaan is my favorite CRK and it will give your thumb a working out for the first few weeks. But once you get use to opening it and figure it out the rest is down hill. I have quiet the small collection going in the 4 months since picking up the umnumzaan. 5 as of now the 6th one will be here by the end of the month and the 7th by mid February. 10 by mid march. It is a rabbit hole. Welcome to the forums and to the CRK family. You will find everyone super helpful and amazing respectful. Cheers.

The umnumzaan is my favorite CRK and it will give your thumb a working out for the first few weeks. But once you get use to opening it and figure it out the rest is down hill. I have quiet the small collection going in the 4 months since picking up the umnumzaan. 5 as of now the 6th one will be here by the end of the month and the 7th by mid February. 10 by mid march. It is a rabbit hole. Welcome to the forums and to the CRK family. You will find everyone super helpful and amazing respectful. Cheers.

Thanks, I do appreciate the warm welcome. That's encouraging to hear, it's getting easier to deploy every day. And wow, that is a good haul over a few months! I look forward to seeing what you picked up along the way.

20200109_094302.jpg
Here's the two that came in Thursday. I have a 21 large insingo out with @WValtakis having some custom work done on it and here's the inkosi.20191125_164803.jpg
And then there's Uma my beloved umnumzaan. 20191008_163025.jpg
All left handed for now. Even the Mnandi.

Can't get enough of them. I'm sure the CRK bug will hit you as well.

Hey all. Newbie here excited to join the forum. I've been a firearms enthusiast for years and have just started to branch out more to knives. For Christmas my brother bought me a ZT 0562ti and I bought myself an Umnumzaan about 10 days ago. My thumb after trying to break in the Umnumzaan for the last 10 days or so below, complete with a few kisses from the ZT. I'm not complaining, it's totally worth it and I'm fairly certain I've entered into a rabbit hole that I won't be returning from. Nice to meet everyone and I'll keep any dumb questions to myself for now.

ABm5FaQl.jpg

Definitely need to revise your Umnumzann technique, that picture will haunt me for days.

View attachment 1262870
Here's the two that came in Thursday. I have a 21 large insingo out with @WValtakis having some custom work done on it and here's the inkosi.View attachment 1262871
And then there's Uma my beloved umnumzaan. View attachment 1262872
All left handed for now. Even the Mnandi.

Can't get enough of them. I'm sure the CRK bug will hit you as well.

Extremely nice pieces. I really like the raindrop Damascus, looks very clean. Can I ask what the inlays are on the Inkosi? Macassar Ebony?

The inkosi has red linen micarta. The 21 with the raindrop Damascus has box elder as does the Mnandi. But ya love then red linen micarta inlays. Really nice.

Welcome to the forums and the world of knife collecting/using/hoarder/OCD'ing. The Umnumzaan will put a hurting on an unseasoned thumb. Give it a month and your thumb and the Umnumzaan will both be "broken in". In a good way.

Back