CRK's fixed blade: hard use knives?

CRK makes knives that will survive a lifetime of rugged use easily. Destroying a knife to see how much irrelevant abuse it can it can take before breaking is a sideshow act.

CRK makes knives that will survive a lifetime of rugged use easily. Destroying a knife to see how much irrelevant abuse it can it can take before breaking is a sideshow act.

While this is probably true, the same guy gives a Busse the beating of a lifetime. Now that was interesting.

Note: I am not trying to be a Busse fan boy or anything, just saying. He goes like 10 videos long with that thing and even attacks concrete with it to test the INFI steel.

He has been at this long enough that he knows how to make it look like he is hitting hard when he is not. Or do you believe the magician really saws the lady in half?

@Esav Benyamin: ...

So, any of you guys know that s35vn is better than s30v, talkin about resistance?

Because yes, I dont plan to kill concrete with a $350 CRK, but the blade broke while hammering the knife on a piece of wood...

And I sure plan to use a woodstick to hammer it on larger pieces of wood. And I would like this Pacific to endure this...
Thanks.

There is a thread on BF where a member went out and used the knife in the wilderness, also a review of 16 knives where one was the knife in question on SYKW, both times it performed within its desigh parameters, without issue, I will post links for you a bit later, on my phone.

It was being hammered into a knot, not just any "piece of wood" with a fairly heavy hammer, certainly not comparable to a wooden baton.

@brownshoe: You're right. But still, cheap knives done that great.

@marthinus: Thank you, that's cool.

By the way, I presume that if I (( XXXX )) one CRK, in "normal-use" Chris Reeve should replace it.

Do you guys have noticed that S35vn was tougher than s30v?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Presume whatever you like. Personally, I would refer to the CRK warranty instead.

Differences between steels can be subtle. Blade geometry and heat treat have a lot to do with performance. Some differences have more to do with how easily the steels can be worked than with performance in the field.

Just my opinion but if you are gonna put a knife though that kind of beating wouldn't a CRK one piece knife (carbon steel) be more appropriate?

I noticed it broke at the top serration, would that be because of the higher stress in that area with less supporting material?

Batoning it with a steel hammer rather than a piece of wood isn't a great idea either i'm betting

Well, I'm not gonna use a hammer... because I won't bear a hammer into the wild...

Plus I don't want to ruin my blade's coating

But yeah, this knive will be used.

Ok.

Here is the review on the knife done by a member here, read the full review, it went off track but I feel it was a good review.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/608769-GB-Field-Trials

By the way, in the CRK dvd Chris chops into a piece of wood with his GB and twists pieces of for kindling. Was good to see that.

I dont want to post direct links to other forums, so I sent you the other forum link to your profile.

Try telling that to my Umnumzaan.
I guess my knife didn't get the memo that it was supposed to be wimpy.

Don't get me wrong, I edc my zaan every day. Their folders are the $h!+. Just sayn their fixed blades are not known for hard use.

I've been through mud in my truck, towed BIG trailers with my truck, driven thousands of miles at once in my truck, my kids have thrown-up in my truck and the bed is scratched and dented. And I love my truck! None of that is abuse. I love my truck too much for that. It wasn't the most expensive truck, but it sure wasn't the cheapest. I could have bought a cheaper truck that could do the same thing, but it wouldn't drive as nicely. It does exactly what it was designed for. If I hated my truck, I'd destroy it with a hammer.

I use to watch those silly videos by the dork in the "Jason wanna be" clown suit but I finally realized how silly his tests really are! I mean common, beating on a knife with a hammer! How stupid!

Ok, I got it.
I love this knfe, I7m gonna buy it, use it, play with it.

If it dies, I'll make the waranty work.

Thank you all of you.

Back