CRK's fixed blade: hard use knives?

I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

I could break virtually any knife - at least any knife that will cut anything.

Best luck and success.

Ok, I got it.
I love this knfe, I7m gonna buy it, use it, play with it.

If it dies, I'll make the waranty work.

Thank you all of you.

I really like the Green Beret... the ONLY (repeat, ONLY) thing preventing me from getting one is the serrations. I guess they could be ground out without too much difficulty though...

I plan on adding the Pacific to my user stable as some point this year. I don't think the knife will disappoint me at all. I carried a Shadow II for several years in the army and the knife worked like a champ. I am buying without hesitation.

I'm not quite sure what to think of those videos. When I first saw them years ago I was like wtf this guy is a nut. While his tests don't reflect my use of a knife it is kinda interesting.

Does he have an agenda? I don't know if he does or not. But I don't really see it if he does. I'm surprised how easy some of the knives broke and was surprised how tough some others were.

I personally wouldn't hit any knife with a steel hammer. But I wouldn't baton a stainless knife either. To each his own. I don't know how much value there is in his videos for me but I still they are interesting to a degree. I do wish he had abbreviated versions available. Maybe he has a chart that shows which knife took what abuse and which ones didn't.

The fact that knives break when you hit them with a hammer is not surprising, in fact I think it would be the expected result.

Some of the knives which have done poorly on his tests have worked well for me in the past. I guess noss and I are just different.

men, i think the best way to show that the CRs are tough is to put them into hard use , but what a pity that there is few pics of hard use .

the supporters where are you ?

My Green Beret screams quality. The tapered tang makes in very comfortable in the hand. I would fully trust it to hold up fine to most outdoor taks.

This is an excellent test, this is how I employ al my knives, thanks for the great video, and the excellent points therein. I guess I will never buy a Chris Reeve Knife again :)

If you want an axe go buy an axe, I make knives that cut efficiently and effectively we use high quality materials that will work all over the world 26yrs in business and
10s of thousands of knives in nearly every corner of the globe,deserts to the poles the highest mountains,my knives have been there.Some dufuss beating them with a hammer is no test,
cutting concrete blocks is neither, use a jackhammer.I have spent most of my life working with steels of all different types and know what they can and can not do.I work with and have access to Crucibles metalurgists that chuckle and shake their at these guys antics.My knives used with a little brain power you will be amazed at what my theycan do but sledgehammers and concrete blocks I did not design them for.Chris Reeve.
What is hard use,it is certianly not being stupid.

If you want an axe go buy an axe, I make knives that cut efficiently and effectively we use high quality materials that will work all over the world 26yrs in business and
10s of thousands of knives in nearly every corner of the globe,deserts to the poles the highest mountains,my knives have been there.Some dufuss beating them with a hammer is no test,
cutting concrete blocks is neither, use a jackhammer.I have spent most of my life working with steels of all different types and know what they can and can not do.I work with and have access to Crucibles metalurgists that chuckle and shake their at these guys antics.My knives used with a little brain power you will be amazed at what my theycan do but sledgehammers and concrete blocks I did not design them for.Chris Reeve.
What is hard use,it is certianly not being stupid.

And those of us who understand how to use a tool properly, completely agree! Knives are meant for cutting, not beating on concrete and steel. It amazes me that people pound on these objects with a knife and are surprised that the knife doesn't shrug off the abuse.

Thank you for commenting sir, you make some of the finest knives around and I will continue to use my Chris Reeve knives! My Sebenza is a wonderful tool that is integral to my daily life!

Well said Chris! You and your company make great products and I'm proud to be your loyal customer. Thanks for making left hand folding knives. :thumbup::D

Well said Mr. Reeve. Those of us who know how to use and take care of our Chris Reeve knives understand your comments completely! You don't buy a Lamborghini Diablo and take it to demolition derby!

I have managed to use CRK fixed blades for years with out any problems. I am a fan of the A2 one piece knives over the S30V blades and those are the knives I use for a lot of things. I have never had a single issue and don't expect to either.

This little skinner has been batoned with, choped with, droped, spat at, slaped and kicked in the nakers but it still seems to be working just fine.....funny that, isn't it. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

While this is probably true, the same guy gives a Busse the beating of a lifetime. Now that was interesting.

Note: I am not trying to be a Busse fan boy or anything, just saying. He goes like 10 videos long with that thing and even attacks concrete with it to test the INFI steel.

I have the FBM and (Neil Roberts Warrior - very similar just no serrations)......

The FBM is close to twice as thick so it was never going to be any easy knife to break no matter what you do to it. It's reputation has been well earned.

The CRK knife is a lot lighter and would never stand up to the same type of beating as an FBM from Busse but that does not mean that it is not an excellent knife. It is well designed, well made and uses high quality materials and if you use it as a knife should be used then it will last a life time.

I like both brands very much and while it is nice that the FBM can stand up to that kind of abuse, at the same time the test is stupid to say the least. Nobody abuses a knife like that in real life normal conditions.

Truth be known the CRK fixed blade is a lot more practical and therefore more useful.

Ok, I got it.
I love this knfe, I7m gonna buy it, use it, play with it.
If it dies, I'll make the waranty work.
Thank you all of you.

I am glad you have made the decision to do this.
Buy the knife and use it and you will find you have one of the best cutlery purchases anywhere.

Chris has made thousands of hard use knives starting in the 80's with his one piece series. They have been purchased and used hard by outdoorsman and serving members of the military all over the world yet this one stupid video appears and everybody questions them.

I prefer to trust the many positive reviews from REPUTABLE folks.
Wearing a hockey mask and beating the crap out of a knife with a hammer has no basis in science or reality. It is done simply to increase the number of hits his website receives.

The CRK warranty is brilliant. Trust us you will not be sorry.

Last edited:
There's a difference between a test and a stunt. I can break anything if I try a little... :rolleyes: :barf:

I can't believe this topic still comes up. It's ridiculous to think a knife should be beat with a 5lb sledge to begin with. Nevertheless to test how strong it is. It's a knife!

That was one lame test! If you took a hammer to a $20,000.00 antique hand forged samurai sword, you could break it also! Each knife, no matter who makes it is made to withstand a certain usage. A good skinning knife will not stand up to abuse like a multi purpose knife will, but it will hold an edge better and longer. A cheap machete will cut down weeds and small saplings, but won't work too well as a skinner. My sebenza will not do what my Shadow I will do and vice versa. Something else, continual hammering will weaken steel unless it is annealed every now and then. Obviously the person doing the test had no idea about metalurgy and the way metals can change properties with usage and hammering and other stress. The harder a metal is doesn't mean it will be stronger. Might keep an edge better. a softer steel would put up with more abuse but would not hold an edge. I would guess that any use that the Green Beret knife would be put to, it would handle and then some. A ceramic knife is a great kitchen knife but drop it and it's toast.

These "hard use" test would be sort of like dropping a pallet of cinderblocks onto the back of my Acura TL and testing it's hauling abilities. It is not designed to haul heavy loads. On the same token, I don't think beating a knife repeatedly into blocks of wood is a good "hard use" test. If I'm surviving in the woods with my Pacific, I doubt a key to survival will be pounding through 15 inches of wood after stabbing metal sheets. I like these kinds of test but more for entertainment value. It's fun to see what kind of abuse they stand up to, much like it's fun to see a Mercedes get ran over by a monster truck... doesn't mean the car is an absolute POS because it can't withstand a monster truck attack. Just my .02 at the risk of beating a dead horse. :)

Last edited:
Back