CRKT Crawford Kasper: My Quest for the earlier versions.

MTHall720

Gold Member
CRKT Crawford Kasper: My Quest for an earlier version(s)

I have always liked this model a LOT! I got one made about 10 years ago I think. I recently acquired one from a fellow forum member which is called the Pro Model. I love it. My big question, from all I have read, is that at some point, the quality started going down hill. The weight also became far less.

Questions I am trying to answer are:
1] About what year did this model become cheaper made, and much lighter weight? I want to look for ones made when they were still heavier.

2] Is there something beefier than the specs in the model 6773 which is what I think is the closest I can find to earlier made versions? Below is a spec list of the 6773.

Thanks very much to everyone for any input.

Forgot to say: I would love to have the real thing by the custom knife makers but the budget is simply not there so I am looking for the CRKT.
Scales textured black Zytel Steel Liners: 420J2 Model 6773
Blade Shape and composition: modified clip point of AUS 6M stainless steel, double hollow ground
Blade length: 3.87'' Model 6773
Blade hardness: 55-57HRC
Liners: 420J2 double stainless steel liners, Model 6773
Back Spacers: 6061 T6 hard anodized aluminum back spacer, Model 6773
Weight : 7.4 oz. Model 6773

MT, sent you an email about the Kasper's. Those are the same specs that have been used on all of them, including a .160" thick blade.

I have one of these and, for me, the bad far outweighs the good. It is REALLY heavy and the AUS 6 steel just isn't good enough to hold
an edge for very long. That being said, it does feel good in the hand and the lockup is rock solid. Unaccetable trade-offs, at least for
me.

I have one of these and, for me, the bad far outweighs the good. It is REALLY heavy and the AUS 6 steel just isn't good enough to hold
an edge for very long. That being said, it does feel good in the hand and the lockup is rock solid. Unaccetable trade-offs, at least for
me.

Was researching to see if there is a production blade with similar shape and dimensions but under a 100.00

I still have the smaller version of the professional model.
The Zytel handled model used AUS6/ Aluminum handled model (P-C/K) was AUS8M.

I have all the CRKT Kasper/Crawford models except the older large zytel-handled version in AUS-6. Been looking for it for a while. I'm about to scoop up the newer version soon. Can't lose for $20. Anyone compared the new ones to the old AUS-6 version?

Early versions
25sr2gy.jpg

It was designed as a fighting folder,so the edge holding of the AUS6M blade did'nt really matter.It was still able to get razor sharp.Chances are you would only use it once for its intended purpose before confiscation.It was'nt designed as a utility knife.

Back