CRKT M21 02G

I wouldn't recommend it, you will find yourself having to sharpen that Chinese steel frequently, and Crkt are known for subpar build quality.

I would recommend the Ontario Rat 2 w/ D2 steel. It's a much tougher steel. Much better build quality as well.

I had some flavor of M21, I forget exactly what. My junkie stepson selected it, along with a Mini Barrage, to sell for drugs. He has since fessed up. I would like him to replace the Benchmade, but I don’t really care about the CRKT. I’d second the recommendation of the Rat 2.

I have one of the M21 designs. It is one of those knife I wished CRKT would redo in better mats.

I'll echo that was previously said, for $40+ dollars, I'd get a Rat 2 in D2 or Steel Will MIni Cutjack.

I carried one for years and it was an OK knife, but mine was made in Taiwan. Now they are made in China I feel like the quality took a nose dive. (Bought two as xmas gifts for my nephews on sale).
I liked the double lock, but most people hate it. Personally I feel like there are knives that give way more bang for your buck like the Ontario Rat mentioned above.

Just for a little clarity and additional info, I had the M16-12z about 15 years ago. Only knife I've owned where the lock failed.

Well I have seemed to of lost both of my CRKT m16 and an M-21. And I feel nothing as I haven't bought a CRKT product ever since.

Have both the M16 and the M21, love both.

And 8cr13mov is the best of entry level steels available. Dead easy to sharpen and touchup to a scary sharp edge. And holds it better than 12c27 or 420hc.

I used to be a big CRKT supporter but, not anymore. Their QC is just lacking. Especially at the prices they are asking for most of their knives. With that being said, I admit the M16/21 series is very popular. I own an M16-02 myself. Also own a Marzitelli Prowler, one of my all time favorite knives even though the blade steel is poor.

For the money CRKT is asking, you could do much better than most of the products they offer. Do yourself a favor and keep looking at other brands.

I love the M16 and M21 platform. Ive handled a few recently and they had solid lock up.

There are some discontinued CRK models on BHQ for the $20 range like the kasper or hammond cruiser. Medium duty knives at best though.

But for the money there are plenty of other options on the market.

If CRKT would shift most of their production to Sandvik steel and paid more attention to their QC; I would happily buy their knives again.

The only thing of theirs that holds my attention for any length of time is the Swindle series. Looks like it would be a fun, budget dress knife but, poor QC keeps me away.

With the pricing, QC, and subpar steel make me sad...and upset that Brian Tighe soils his good name by collaborating with then. Ken Onion as well.

Thinking about buying one. It will be for EDC, used harder then most.

If you like the design go for it.
8cr steel is fine if you use your knife because it is easy to get back to shaving sharp.

Back