CRKT Minimalist

I swore off Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) products for a while after numerous knife failures and losses, but something inspired me to try this new design. This is the Minimalist, model 2385. It was designed by Alan Folts, who makes all sorts of things from knives to swords to titanium chop sticks. This is based on his design of the same name; his Minimalist costs around $120 and the CRKT version will cost you around $18. Overall, it's a very nice knife. It weighs 1.6 ounce in the sheath. You get a knife with linen micarta scales for less than twenty bucks; cool, right? Let's take a look.

2385.jpg

Handle Details: The Minimalist is one solid piece of steel, and has linen micarta scales attached. It's handle is 2-3/4" long and 5/16" thick. It has three finger grooves, and they provide excellent grip. The linen micarta scales are black and green, and are held on with T-6 Torx screws - two on each side. The butt has a black braided lanyard attached, and it's box-stitched. It's a small diameter (a hair under 1/16" thick) cord, but it does the job. It's 2" long and makes the knife easier to extract from the sheath and make it a four-finger knife. The lanyard is attached underneath the micarta scales and through a hole in the butt of the full exposed tang.
The handle is quite comfortable, and almost disappears in your hand. In use, it's comfortable and smooth. There is no repositioning of your fingers when extracting the knife from the sheath because the finger grooves are all exposed and grab-able. Gripping is comfortable in either hammer grip or reverse grip.

Blade Details: The Minimalist has a wharncliff blade, and it's exactly 2" long. The blade is 1/8" thick. It's made of 5Cr15MoV at 55-57 on the Rockwell scale, and is flat ground. There's jimping 1-1/16" long, and it extends a bit onto the handle. The jimping is a little smoother than I'd like, but it's perfectly functional. The left side of the blade has the CRKT logo etched on, while the right side has FOLTS above MINIMALIST and the model number (2385).
This 5Cr15MoV is a relatively soft steel, but it's not as soft as AUS-6 or 420J2. It takes a wicked edge and keeps it for an okay length of time, provided you don't cut anything hard or thick with it. As an EDC, I wouldn't use the Minimalist for anything harder or more abrasive than cardboard - and that's almost stretching it. It will work very well for paper, tape, or light-duty items.

The Sheath: The Minimalist comes with a Zytel sheath; very similar to Kydex. It's black and measures 2-1/4" long by 2" wide. With the knife inserted, it's 5-1/4" long. Retention is very good; not too loose and not too tight. I can insert the Minimalist and turn the sheath upside-down, then shake: no wobble. The sheath has six holes in it for lashing or strapping, but they won't fit a Tek Lok. I think they'll fit a MOLLE clip, but I haven't tried yet. The sheath includes 36" of gutted OD 550 cord for neck carry. Simply tie it to your size and snip the rest off. Neck carry is comfortable and unnoticeable. A normally-fitting T-shirt will not cause the Minimalist to print through, but don't try to hide it under Under Armor.

Overall, the CRKT Minimalist is a great value. Great shape in both the blade and handle, secure grip, secure sheath, great price, and higher-class handles than you'd expect from a $18 knife make it a real winner. The only thing I'd change is the steel; I'd prefer something like AUS-8 or 440C and neither would drive the price up too much. It's still a great knife and a welcome addition to any neck knife user's collection.

Nice review! Thanks for posting. That looks like it would make a good edc if someone wanted a fixed blade instead of a folder.

yes, great review.

we have sold alot of them already, they are nice CR's. I am thinking of keeping one myself!:)
paul

Thanks for the review. I noticed this knife a couple of weeks ago and have wanted to learn more. It seems like a more functional alternative to my Buck Smidgen.

CRKT's got some very interesting designs and nobody should write them off. :)

Good review, I'll have to take a look at that one. :thumbup:

Solid review of a very solid little knife. I have been using one around the office for about a month now to cut boxes and am quite happy with it. I wish that they handle was just touch longer and had a proper lanyard / keyring hole of some sort, but that is really the only quibble that I can make about it. It is compact and light yet very stable in the hand during use, very functional sheath and cuts very well.

How does the lanyard attach to the handle??

The tang is drilled so the lanyard goes in and out, like any lanyard. But the scales are grooved so that a half-moon shape is present on the inside of each scale, lined up so they would surround the lanyard. The lanyard doesn't go through the scales; rather, the scales are grooved to go around the lanyard.

Thanks for the good review. I've been thinking of buying one of these for a friend.

CRKT's got some very interesting designs and nobody should write them off. :)

Good review, I'll have to take a look at that one. :thumbup:

I own a CRKT M-16 it has done great, holds a good edge and is easy to tear down. Their company was nothing short of excellent, I lost a clip screw during a cleaning, called the company and explained. They sent me a packet of new screws and some spare hardware for just incase oh shit situations, should they arise again in the future.

I have the bowie version actually have two. One I put snaps on the sheath and corresponding snaps on the strap of my Yeti and it is along for the ride. It gets used a lot fishing and well for just about everything you'd need a knife for. I recently modded my LM super tool 300 with a pocket clip and started carrying it in my pocket which has been fantastic but as it doesn't have outside accessible blades I needed something for quick cutting tasks. Off to lowes, I went to buy another minimalist. I carry it horizontal on my belt right near my buckle and it has filled the need quite well.
It is taking some getting used to as I was carrying a spyderco tenacious for all my daily knife needs but I have to say for the price and size I am very happy with it as an edc.

I’ve been considering getting one for quite a while now but haven’t got around to pulling the trigger..at just $20,you really have nothing to lose...I often steer away from CRKT products,I love their designs but I feel they are often over priced for the cheap materials they often use...they have $70-$100 knives made in 8CR13MOV or D2 at best while Kershaw has released several knives in the same price range with M390 and 20CV..SOG has the Terminus XR in S35VN and carbon fiber scales for $80..Gerber has the fastball and the Gerber Gator premium in S30V for around $100..my brother bought a Boker Kalashnikov 74 auto in XHP for just $60..you can get the Boker Kalashnikov 74 in S30V for $70..you can get several Kizer knives for around $100 with titanium scales and a S35VN blade..Spyderco has several models for $70-$100 in VG10,S30V,LC200N,etc like the Delica,Endura,Manix 2,Para 3,etc..you can get a Benchmade Griptillian in S30V for $90-$100,not much more for a Bugout..this is something that always bothers me when it comes to a lot of CRKT products..SOG often does the same thing,I know one can’t expect too much out of a $60 knife but when I bought the SOG Flash 2,it came to feel like robbery..lol..IMO..the Flash 2 is a $20 knife at best.I was pleasantly surprised when I seen the SOG Terminus XR for just $80 with a S35VN blade and carbon fiber scales..with all that being said,after Shot Show 2020 there is a new trend where American knife manufacturing companies budget Chinese made knives seem to be steering away from the 8CR13MOV and AUS8 and are starting to use D2 more and more..now hopefully 2021 will bring the death of assisted opening knives or at the very least,the death of assisted opening knives that come with a safety..lol

As a measure of how old this thread was when its corpse was disturbingly resurrected, the Folts Minimalist custom was $120 when this thread started, and the one I bought a month ago was $289.

My
As a measure of how old this thread was when its corpse was disturbingly resurrected, the Folts Minimalist custom was $120 when this thread started, and the one I bought a month ago was $289.
My apologies,I didn’t realize how old this post was when I commented..I try to avoid commenting on the older posts,as I know it is frowned upon

My

My apologies,I didn’t realize how old this post was when I commented..I try to avoid commenting on the older posts,as I know it is frowned upon
And on other sites you will be chastised for starting a new thread on an existing topic and not conducting an extensive search first. If your post is relevant to the topic, you're good to go! To me, a thread covering a long span of time is more informative than 12 short threads. Especially in a review subforum.

My

Oh, don't worry too much, you just gave me a start, is all. I didn't see how old it was, either, until I saw "The custom version is $120, but you can get this production version for $18!"

The date's on the post and all, and the only way I noticed how old it was was because of the price of the knife, LOL.

Back