Crooked guard or gap in guard acceptable for near $400 knife?

I am trying to establish whether I am being unreasonable regarding a production dagger worth close to $400 I had purchased & issues with the guard & also it's two replacement knives' guard. 1st knife had a 1mm gap b/w the bottom of the guard & metal collar below it, on one side. Both (2) replacement knives had crooked guards, not hugely so, but noticeable.
At this point I wish to get constructive feedback on whether I was reasonable in objecting to accepting any of the knives, without giving any detail on the manufacturer (this whole situation has far more aspects to it).

https://s26.postimg.org/t4lzo7jc9/Cold_Steel_Tai_Pan_3_V_gap_-_29-10-16.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/6ty4o8m21/Taipan_Replacement_-_crooked_Guard_2_-_24-3-17.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/uyyu5y6cp/Tai_Pan_replacement_3_-_18-5-17_-_Tai_Pan_side_-.jpg

Last edited:
I am knit picky and have knife OCD and that would bother me. I to would have sent it back. Especially for something with that price tag. I personally always steer away from knives with guards that aren't apart of the knife itself and that are added on as an additional piece because I have read and seen a few circumstances where they are loose, break or not attached on properly. So, no I don't think you're being unreasonable.

I am knit picky and have knife OCD and that would bother me. I to would have sent it back. Especially for something with that price tag. I personally always steer away from knives with guards that aren't apart of the knife itself and that are added on as an additional piece because I have read and seen a few circumstances where they are loose, break or not attached on properly. So, no I don't think you're being unreasonable.

Hi XtianAus,

Thanks for your input here. You raise a good point about the type of guard implemented that I never really gave much thought to. I really like the shape, rubber grip, pommel design, perceived toughness of the knife (metal used & blade geometry) but found the execution of the guard a real turnoff for the price asked (even at half the price).

Hi XtianAus,

Thanks for your input here. You raise a good point about the type of guard implemented that I never really gave much thought to. I really like the shape, rubber grip, pommel design, perceived toughness of the knife (metal used & blade geometry) but found the execution of the guard a real turnoff for the price asked (even at half the price).

Yeah it is a shame, I have overlooked knives I really wanted to check out because they had the guard/hilt and I just can't get past the issues it could potentially raise. That being said there are many other great knives out there in 3V and some with rubber grip if that is what you like :)
If you want to stay with cold steel, they have a 3V SRK I think? No pommel however

I think if you're that particular you should be buying hands on vs. mail order.

And if you're getting dinged $400 for that knife online you're being robbed.

Problem is there is no hands on where I am situated in Australia & I assumed a knife would have any guard issue sorted before going out, regardless of price. Price was cheapest I could find for OZ dealer.

If you are going to get a knife for $400, get a custom!! Not a knife that sells for $200 in stores.
As for that knife, I would try and get my money back. You could buy two of them if you are able to.
You could get one awesome knife for $400! Or two amazing knives. Just got to do some research
Hope it all works out man!

Yeah it is a shame, I have overlooked knives I really wanted to check out because they had the guard/hilt and I just can't get past the issues it could potentially raise. That being said there are many other great knives out there in 3V and some with rubber grip if that is what you like :)
If you want to stay with cold steel, they have a 3V SRK I think? No pommel however

Thanks again for the input XtianAus, & yes that pommel is an important part of what I wanted in that dagger. Might have to reconsider what I want in a dagger & am now wary of Cold Steel products (I do have a San Mai Tanto from way back & consider it my most treasured knife to date).

If you are going to get a knife for $400, get a custom!! Not a knife that sells for $200 in stores.
As for that knife, I would try and get my money back. You could buy two of them if you are able to.
You could get one awesome knife for $400! Or two amazing knives. Just got to do some research
Hope it all works out man!

Just to clarify for everyone, I did get my money back but had to put up with some insulting behaviour from the appointed warranty guys here in OZ (which Cold Steel is well aware of but has decided to do nothing about - interesting implications, but that is a whole other topic). I am also still owed for the full amount it cost me to post back the 2nd replacement knife (Cold Steel knows about this also - another topic again)

^That is too bad! But, at least you got your money back!! There are too many great knives out there to spend that much on that knife!

I am trying to establish whether I am being unreasonable regarding a production dagger worth close to $400 I had purchased & issues with the guard & also it's two replacement knives' guard. 1st knife had a 1mm gap b/w the bottom of the guard & metal collar below it, on one side. Both (2) replacement knives had crooked guards, not hugely so, but noticeable.
At this point I wish to get constructive feedback on whether I was reasonable in objecting to accepting any of the knives, without giving any detail on the manufacturer (this whole situation has far more aspects to it).

https://s26.postimg.org/t4lzo7jc9/Cold_Steel_Tai_Pan_3_V_gap_-_29-10-16.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/6ty4o8m21/Taipan_Replacement_-_crooked_Guard_2_-_24-3-17.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/uyyu5y6cp/Tai_Pan_replacement_3_-_18-5-17_-_Tai_Pan_side_-.jpg
You spent $400 on a 3V Tai Pan? Wow. They retail for less than half of that. The San Mai ones sit in that generalprice range though.

^That is too bad! But, at least you got your money back!! There are too many great knives out there to spend that much on that knife!

I basically agree with you there ATJ999, it just that I was after a dagger & this was I felt the best choice for acquiring one without having to apply for a permit here in Australia (compulsory for all imported daggers). I really like the design of the Tai Pan (though having second thoughts regarding the guard/hilt employed), size, perceived toughness, rubber non slip handle, pommel that could do some real damage, just a great set of features that really appealed to me.

Any suggestions for an alternative (regardless of import permit requirements)?

You spent $400 on a 3V Tai Pan? Wow. They retail for less than half of that. The San Mai ones sit in that generalprice range though.

Hi ursamajor, I am based in Australia, thus the price. Plus any imported daggers here require a permit & Australia is becoming quite the nanny state these days from what I hear.

Hey cirles, I am from Australia too. I suggest finding a freight forwarder and having your knives shipped over through that. OZ dealers jack up the prices way more than they need too.
Some US makers even ship directly here for $10 US or so.

Lamnia have really decent prices and free shipping here last time I checked. They are a European dealership that stock European brands. Not sure what you're into besides cold steel and whether they have US brands but either way they are worth checking out.

I can't remember if I am allowed to link sites like that, I will edit my post if so.

But hey, nothing wrong with supporting Aus dealers either. You're definitely the better of us two ;)
I just think $400 AUS is steep for a knife like that as are most dealers here.
Just imho.

Hey cirles, I am from Australia too. I suggest finding a freight forwarder and having your knives shipped over through that. OZ dealers jack up the prices way more than they need too.
Some US makers even ship directly here for $10 US or so.

Lamnia have really decent prices and free shipping here last time I checked. They are a European dealership that stock European brands. Not sure what you're into besides cold steel and whether they have US brands but either way they are worth checking out.

I can't remember if I am allowed to link sites like that, I will edit my post if so.

But hey, nothing wrong with supporting Aus dealers either. You're definitely the better of us two ;)
I just think $400 AUS is steep for a knife like that as are most dealers here.
Just imho.

Thanks for the suggestions XtianAus, something I will have to explore. Getting import permits for a dagger is not something I am looking forward to & I have no idea how long it would take. So my purchasing decision based on the OZ dollar at the time kind of goes out the window, though it has been relatively stable lately. Guess I'm just to damn lazy to have to deal with complications :)

I am not fussy on where a dagger comes from as long as I can make some type of assessment on their structural integrity (whether valid or not). I must admit to being impressed with the videos (again, whether valid or not) made by Cold Steel, which shows the potential of the knives. The combination of features really appealed to me for that Tai Pan.

Back