Crosscut Saw Thread

It's not that hard bud. It's just a cross shape with little bits hanging off the ends. Bend over the bits and set your spacing. I cut that onw out with a hacksaw and file in about 2 hours

It's not that hard bud. It's just a cross shape with little bits hanging off the ends. Bend over the bits and set your spacing. I cut that onw out with a hacksaw and file in about 2 hours

I agree about the making one.
I definetly got to excited when I found and had delivered my Simonds saw tool and spider set...I justified it as my early Christmas present to myself.
It's the only axe, saw related gift I got for Christmas, so I think I did alright for the gift giving;):thumbsup:

well, i just wasted 3 hours, i filed up that new saw, went to file the rakers and realized i forgot to joint it.

in other news it was 23 degrees, i cant feel my toes and my space heater is not strong enough

well, i just wasted 3 hours, i filed up that new saw, went to file the rakers and realized i forgot to joint it.

in other news it was 23 degrees, i cant feel my toes and my space heater is not strong enough

Oh man phantomknives. You gonna just run it?

I hear and feel your cold. 1°F here now, no heat source in my garage and on a regular day my free garage time is after 9p.
Woodstove is high on my (dream)list...small to medium sized pot belly style...something more vertical than square and or horizontal to fit in nice and safe.

I find a lot of saws where the previous owner just kept filing the cutters without jointing the saw or lowering the rakers. The raker tips stick up above the cutters. I think lots of guys didn't understand the function of the rakers but knew what cutters were supposed to do.

Now that you're had your filing practice, warm up, have a happy New Year, and get it jointed tomorrow.

Bringing this thread back with oodles of pictures. I hope I haven't posted any of them already :rolleyes:

Disston Toledo 598 felling saw with perf-lance teeth and western handles (mismatched, one atkins and one simonds)

Picture753.jpg

Disston Keystone felling saw with perf-lance teeth and original loop handles, also; hand built (and I mean it, those were originally 10" dead pines) and my little Mann 2 1/4 pounder

Picture813-1.jpg

Simonds red end 4' bucking saw with tuttle teeth and climax pattern handles

Picture952.jpg

and some noodles

Picture953.jpg

Post yours if you got any!

Within this post is a picture of a Simonds Bucksaw and I wish it wasn't photobucket so we could see of it looks like the Simonds model 102 or 120...

I came across this a while ago, and I just stumbled onto it again this morning while drinking my first pot of coffee...

Screenshot_20180101-091319.jpg

https://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/d/foley-saw-sharpening-machine/6395758928.html

I don't have any room for such equipment nor an interest in having but I thought this was a great, interesting, relevant machine to post up.

I do have a minor interest primarily our of curiosity and desire to check out and How it operates, as well as if it does the job and does it well... but I definetly don't have the room, I can't hide the monster to easily from my wife and another piece if equipment covered with a tarp and a bicycle may start to raise her curiosity LOL.

Happy New Year

i immediately knew what that was, there was one local down here for $95 but i had no place for it. be sure to let us know when you figure out how to work it

I do now.:thumbsup:
I have several worn, near smooth Nicholson files.
The flat bastard I cut the tang off above had the most bite of the bunch.

I followed the advice of Warren Miller in his videos and the companion manuals from the USFS

I may need to purchase a file to get in and clean/cut the gullets.
My next chance I will see what I have in my aresenol before I go by a Nicholson made in Mexico
If you eat P,B&J for lunch, Peanut Butter (or any long chain fatty acid, vegetable oil for instance) will break down sap. Just a quick rinse of water and good to go.

LOL!! Already you know me

i immediately knew what that was, there was one local down here for $95 but i had no place for it. be sure to let us know when you figure out how to work it

There was a time I would have gone to buy that without a second thought or worry if it worked well or if it even worked, if I had a place to put it other than the livingroom or not ;)
Since our children came...
My better half has learned me to prioritize...or else LOL!

If you eat P,B&J for lunch, Peanut Butter (or any long chain fatty acid vegetable oil for instance) will break down sap. Just a quick rinse of water and good to go.

I could use straight vegg oil too, that's a great tip thanks!
Much better on my hands and for the environment compared to the 3inONE and WD40

I have my plain tooth 36" Supplee Biddle saw in the vise and i was like a kid in a candy shop and couldn't keep hands from touching...i had to just feel the file on a tooth, I didn't do all I should nor could have and didnt want to continue and cause damage until i could devote more than a couple minutes...it was awesome and I can't wait to find the time to properly get at it.

20180101_005434.jpg

I then grabbed the new to me and probably never before used, 36" Keystone 954.

20180101_130220.jpg

20180101_130214.jpg

I had a little fun for the fireplace.
The keystone ran smooth and without much effort...after i address the teeth, clean, set, sharpen and swage, I expect her to run like a hot knife thru butter.

I had a little fun for the fireplace.
The keystone ran smooth and without much effort...after i address the teeth, clean, set, sharpen and swage, I expect her to run like a hot knife thru butter.

You will be amazed when you see how much better a bigger heavier saw cuts. Even 48" makes a big difference compared to a 36".

With the 36" I'd recommend moving the supplemental handle back near the D handle and use it to apply downward force on the front of the saw. With the bigger saws you just pull it back and forth and let the weight of the saw do the work. Much easier cutting.

You will be amazed when you see how much better a bigger heavier saw cuts. Even 48" makes a big difference compared to a 36".

With the 36" I'd recommend moving the supplemental handle back near the D handle and use it to apply downward force on the front of the saw. With the bigger saws you just pull it back and forth and let the weight of the saw do the work. Much easier cutting.
only ever seen 2 saws bigger than the 36s that are common, one is hugely overpriced the other was a choice between a chainsaw and a 52" with worn teeth

I had picked up a Disston 48" not to long back. It's a plain tooth and will need cleaning, jointing, setting & sharpening.

IMG_20171106_125429146.jpg

I moved the supplemental handle up to the D handle this afternoon and cut a few more logs down to split. I know the teeth need to be set and sharpened, rakers filed and swaged. However it cut slower with more difficulty today.
I came to the conclusion I need to get to sharpening my saws. ;):thumbsup:

On the other side of the coin...my Rogers Very Best split the rounds beautifully and smoothly with Just a flick:cool:

20180102_123950.jpg

I'm a big fan of bucking with "shortened" western saws. A 7-foot saws cut down to 5 feet makes a serious single bucker. These were usually saws that were damaged and shortened back in the day. I just added a D-handle and filed it up. They show up regularly on Ebay. The one in the pic is a Simonds 520, very stiff and can take a good push.

i dont see those enough or find any with broken teeth enough to justify doin that, but i'd like to. how do you drill the holes for the handle?

only ever seen 2 saws bigger than the 36s that are common, one is hugely overpriced the other was a choice between a chainsaw and a 52" with worn teeth

I'm fortunate that there are still plenty of saws here in the northwest. I think I'm up to 7 saws now, 36", 48", 54", 60", 66", 72", and 90". The 72" and 90" both await sharpening and the 54" is in the process. I can afford to be choosy up here.

Back