Crosscut Saw Thread

Ok I am still reprofiling gullets on my 48" Plain tooth but I had to try to see what I have here...
This is the 5&1/2 felling perforated lance tooth I just picked up the other day...

20180315_101400.jpg

20180315_101313.jpg

20180315_101300.jpg

I think I almost see Disston in one etch and a Keystone with the scale.
Other than that I am searching for similar images

Before you start sharpening the felling saw, take a chainsaw file and remove the bridges between the teeth, as at this point they are no longer serving a purpose. After jointing, your teeth are going to be a bit shorter anyway and you'll want room to reprofile them.

Thanks for that but a bummer..., take the perf out of the lance LOL!
Live and learn on what to look for...but will still be a great saw!

She is a few saws down the list but I definetly see and understand what and why to file out the bridges now that you suggested that.
Thanks Trailtime, I am certainly all in and can't wait to get more time in on my saws!

Last edited:
Five and half feet. It has all its teeth and seems straight, the handle hardware is salvageable. I'll have to get a better picture for pro input - I run out of light on my side of the hill.

Old.Feller
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

I look forward to learning if you find an etch and or make and model. Western handle...nice sir!

I am working with a friend and may soon be acquiring a western set that lock in different positions and have the finger guard. I want to apply one to my 5' Plain Tooth here for single bucking...

20180115_225550.jpg

And possibly put aside the other for a new saw to be found or mount it after I dress my 6' champion tooth and really scare the neighbors out at the Wood pile ;)

20180122_104437.jpg

Thats Charlene my awesome Disston 48, they came to me as a pair, sisters.:cool:

One.piece.Western
by Agent Hierarchy

How common where "one-piece" Western handles? I guess meaning the guard is part of the spacer (or whatever that piece is called ;)).

Good question. If the one piece is the same as the fixed position western...for arguments sake I might guess the one piece more common than the multi locking position type simply due to cost perhaps??

I do not know part names to handles, but you have lit a fire for me to learn more about the handles of the crosscut:thumbsup:;)

One.piece.Western
by Agent Hierarchy

How common where "one-piece" Western handles? I guess meaning the guard is part of the spacer (or whatever that piece is called ;)).

I have several like that, they are quite common on the west cost. With the short end of the wood handle down it extends very little below the level of the teeth on a bucking saw and there is little advantage in having a handle that turns horizontal.
Jim

I met one hell of a great, stand up guy and after a short conversation we both did pretty well for each other.

20180326_214854.jpg

Just need to get this blade in the vise

20180326_224303.jpg

20180326_224313.jpg

20180326_224407.jpg

And because a guy gets thirsty he hammered this out for me...

20180326_145546.jpg

;):cool::thumbsup:

That is a great looking saw - I am as interested to know who you met up with lol.

That is a great looking saw - I am as interested to know who you met up with lol.

Thanks Agent_H!
I am racing thru my day here hoping to get an hour to start in on the saw. My optimal goal would be to have her ready and cutting by the weekend...realistically we will see which weekend I actually get her ready.
The saw I picked up not to long ago, these new to me handles and bottle opener are awesome and will be cherished. :thumbsup:
I have been wanting to find a western handle to mount on this blade, I am very fortunate.
The opener is a mule shoe. Damn awesome!:cool:

Thanks Agent_H!
I am racing thru my day here hoping to get an hour to start in on the saw. My optimal goal would be to have her ready and cutting by the weekend...realistically we will see which weekend I actually get her ready.
The saw I picked up not to long ago, these new to me handles and bottle opener are awesome and will be cherished. :thumbsup:
I have been wanting to find a western handle to mount on this blade, I am very fortunate.
The opener is a mule shoe. Damn awesome!:cool:

A mule shoe... :thumbsup:

Back