Crosscut Saw Thread

Just wanted to share. . .

At some point one of my uncles acquired a dozen Simonds cant files NIB. He died a few years ago at age 93. I was given these two from that box.

Bob

Thank you for sharing the files, and the fantastic long life of your uncle. He must have known they were special to have acquired and then held on to a box of new ones.
I have never seen nor heard of the cant style, now to hunt for cant files today.

Thanks again

I have a few cant saw files. I thought they'd be nice for shaping rakers. They are Nicholson if I recall.

A taper or slim taper is better for that overall I think, but there are times I'm glad to have them.

I also have a couple that shape and size with no teeth on two sides, just the one largest face. I'm not sure if they are called cant saw files as well. I do like those for pointing up, with the tapered edge and safe back they do well working in the space but not marking up the next tooth or raker.

Those red tangs are nice files, it's a good score rjdankert rjdankert .

Last edited:
Is crosscutsawyer registration page ever going to get fixed? Seems like the captcha is broke. I emailed the board administrator on the 5th, and heard nothing back. Picked up a few one man crosscut saws off ebay, and curious if anyone had insight into them.

Bob

Is crosscutsawyer registration page ever going to get fixed? Seems like the captcha is broke. I emailed the board administrator on the 5th, and heard nothing back. Picked up a few one man crosscut saws off ebay, and curious if anyone had insight into them.

Bob
Maybe he is fighting forest fires. Looks like the registration page is working now, you may want to try a different browser to see if that works.
Jim

Maybe he is fighting forest fires. Looks like the registration page is working now, you may want to try a different browser to see if that works.
Jim

Registration page displays, but instead of displaying a captcha, the folllowing is displayed: reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN. Happens with Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Bob

Bob

Jim

Thank you J Jim Thode perhaps that will help.
I too have been attempting, reattempting to register for the better part of a year though to have no response as well. I just tried again last month, all I have been able to ascertain from the site in all my attempts is that it recognizes my email and password but still no acceptance/ registration or acknowlegment that I have tried to contact them for help several times over the past year.

Registration page displays, but instead of displaying a captcha, the folllowing is displayed: reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN. Happens with Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Bob

There are members here that have knowledge, experience, and share their knowledge freely, Mr. Thode being one, and I have learned a great deal from them. Some have even posted their own experiences and how to videos on youtube. Perhaps other members here are members there, but I started with and have learned and keep learning a great deal from watching, rewatching the Warren Miller video series and reading his Crosscut Saw Manual.
Both the Warren Miller video series and manual are free upon request from the U.S.Forsest Service.
...if you contact the forest service for those publications, I would recommend you also ask for "An Axe To Grind" by Mr. Bernie Weisgerber.
These manuals and videos for both are excellent resources for crosscuts and axes and the resources I started with. There is other great literature for both but I use these as my center and starting point references that all others are gauged and compared to.

Bob
The site was down for a while, but is back up now. I've been able to log in and post comments. Try registering again.

The site has been up since at least the 5th of this month. However the captcha system that generates random letters you need to type in as part of registration system is not functional.
Just tried registering again and not entering captcha text (cause not there) and got the following message: "The visual confirmation code you submitted was incorrect"

Like someone said, could be fighting fires.

Bob

Anyone have a link to information on Bishop crosscut saws?
Is there a better thread/subform to post this question?

Below is some info i was able to make out from what is left of etching:
THIN BACK
GEO H. BISHOP & CO
CAST STEEL
<ENT?> GROUND

Text in <>brackets above is only a guess.

Other characteristics of the saw:
40" blade
top/back is 1/32nd
teeth are 1 16th
4 screws in handle
handle has bishop cincinnati on it

When i google searched i wasn't finding anything for Bishop crosscut saws. Smaller saws i did find info for.

Bob

Patent ground? And I hope this helps.
s-l1600-6.jpg

Perhaps Crescent, Patent, or segment, terms I've seen used on crosscut saws, though they may be specific to the manufacturer. I've seen Patent of Disston saws, Crescent on Simonds, Segment on Atkins.......

Likely patent ground.

Not crosscut saw but Geo H Bishop Cincinnati
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Ge...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Again not crosscut, but reference to patent ground, and no references to crescent/segment
https://geobishopsaws.blogspot.com/2016/12/geo-h-bishop-ohlen-bishop-handsaw-models.html

Details of one of the other saws i got off ebay. Can anyone point me to additional information? My searches have come up with nothing

Etching details:
"Red Diamond" (the quotation marks are etched)
American Fully
Spring Steel Warranted

Other characteristics:
48" long blade
flat ground
A.E.A. is stamped in the blade next to the one-man helper handle hole
AEA is stamped into the wood handle
There is a sideways T engraved or stamped near the wood handle. (suspect this was engraved by owner)
Superior Warranted is raised on one of the wood handle screws (don't think this means anything, seen it on many saws on ebay)

I have not found anything about "Red Diamond" crosscut saw when google searching.

Back