Crosscut Saw Thread

I pulled this gal out yesterday from my bin of panel saws, along with several others screaming to be cleaned up.

D7 - 5 1/2

20190409-171533.jpg

20190409-171603.jpg

20190409-195757.jpg

20190409-234956.jpg

20190410-002412.jpg

20190410-002424.jpg

20190410-002444.jpg

20190409-235005.jpg

20190410-002455.jpg

:)

Beautiful work phantomknives. Great find on the Simonds. Beautiful saw and I am not sure of the wood, but it does look smooth and handsome.
How is the blade, straight...ish?
thank you,i havent checked it but there's no major dents or warps, it may be just slightly bent from leaning against something for a few decades but nothing major.

i Do however, have to joint the teeth on the far end, there's no major issues, it just isnt "pre-restored"
whoever this guy guys these simonds from is awesome, he brings the etch out and files'm up pretty well.

I’ve never cleaned a saw before and could use some direction in cleaning up this one. Would a conical wire wheel on a drill be to abrasive? I certainly don’t want to mess up the embossing.
I also have this saw vise that needs at least a surface cleaning and I’m not sure what to clean the brass with either.
422564-EC-B886-4942-98-C5-FF4-FB9-BC58-B4.jpg

FFEEB845-2-CF3-4-A0-C-92-C5-1402-CAB0-CB30.jpg

764742-C7-71-F7-45-AA-9-B22-5-BBD65-F01-C36.jpg

Any direction by way of general advice, tips or links would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I’ve never cleaned a saw before and could use some direction in cleaning up this one. Would a conical wire wheel on a drill be to abrasive? I certainly don’t want to mess up the embossing.
I also have this saw vise that needs at least a surface cleaning and I’m not sure what to clean the brass with either.
422564-EC-B886-4942-98-C5-FF4-FB9-BC58-B4.jpg

FFEEB845-2-CF3-4-A0-C-92-C5-1402-CAB0-CB30.jpg

764742-C7-71-F7-45-AA-9-B22-5-BBD65-F01-C36.jpg

Any direction by way of general advice, tips or links would be much appreciated.

I wouldnt use any power tools on the saw.
It is a tad (by miles) more valuable than any saw I have or have cleaned, not sure if this is something you would want to clean by the same methods or somehow differently for the purpose of retaining its value as a complete and functioning piece locked in time...
That said, if you have not watched and read anything by Warren Miller, try starting here with his 5 part video series

Between An Axe To Grind, The Crosscut Saw Filer and their accompanying literature..I dont watch or read to much else :cool::thumbsup:

Carry on doing what you do, always great to see what you will have next :)

I wouldnt use any power tools on the saw.
It is a tad (by miles) more valuable than any saw I have or have cleaned, not sure if this is something you would want to clean by the same methods or somehow differently for the purpose of retaining its value as a complete and functioning piece locked in time...
That said, if you have not watched and read anything by Warren Miller, try starting here with his 5 part video series

Between An Axe To Grind, The Crosscut Saw Filer and their accompanying literature..I dont watch or read to much else :cool::thumbsup:

Carry on doing what you do, always great to see what you will have next :)

Agreed. I have several saws that I just scrubbed but that thing you picked up is in a whole different realm of "How much is too much" just due to its rarity and completeness.

Agreed. But I don’t want to let rust scale get to it necessarily. How bout just #00 steel wool and gun oil? That can’t hurt it can it?

My intention was to take apart everything to take off the surface rust, wash and oil the wood all prior to reassembly.
But if even that would be a mistake, I would want to know. It’s dirty, grimy but there is beautiful oak under there that wants oil.
That brings up perhaps the biggest concern of all, piling the wood and still preserving the labels. Or preserving the labels in general...

Maybe I should make a separate thread instead of muddying up this one with this discussion?

Brasso and a rag maybe some aleve for your arm.0000 steel wool like a gun would think to start fine and go down.Only done a couple scrape with a razor then sandpaper keeping it wet

Unfortunately there isn't much etch left. It's partially my fault too and I'm pretty mad at myself.
I just don't have enough experience with the different etches to recognize what's left. I'm hoping one of you will??
SDTeoT5.jpg

vV7BbzY.jpg

Before I sanded too much there was a number beneath the etch. I think it was 8019? Thanks for any help if you can offer it!

Since I'm not a collector, I just couldn't pass up quality handsaws for $5, so I have a few. I'm old enough to have used handsaws at work. In those days, it was one Skilsaw a crew. So when I came apon an etch, it was just for my own interest. A long winded way of saying I didn't bookmark the site on how to raise an etch. But the information is out there.

I see where crosscut files got their name, maybe you can find some NOS. We use to use them on Skilsaw blades.

I read all the websites cautioning never to use power tools to clean up a crosscut saw but no one has ever related to me an instance of damaging a saw with a wire cup brush. I can see where using power abrasive wheels or discs could gouge or heat the metal. But the last saw I cleaned I did it with a brass-coated wire cup brush and it didn't leave a mark on the saw. It never got hotter than slightly warm to the touch. I won't hesitate to clean my next one that way.

Back