Crosscut Saw Thread

162845216.M1cSiig1.Jim7.jpg
Now that’s an athletic stance!

Now that’s an athletic stance!
Old retired guys get pretty serious when it comes to "bragging rights"! (and the young guys too...)
Small logs were all that was available at this BCHW Rendezvous a couple years ago, but if I remember
correctly, top cut times were about 8 seconds! These guys don't waste any time when working out on the
trails either..... lots of fun!

Just a little before and after cleaning this Simonds #325 I posted a while back. I used wd-40 and an axe puck. A little work with the coarse side got the worst of the rust off followed by a lot of elbow grease with the fine side. Took about the same amount of time to clean the plate as it did to carefully remove the rust from the teeth and rakers without rounding anything off. The hickory handles have dried up a point where they are quite loose in the collar. I'd rather not have to make new ones so I might just try to shim them somehow so they're snug. I bet they'll drink up some linseed oil too.

rmBMvVV.jpg

3myPJlW.jpg

wXacreY.jpg

Any insight as to why Atkins suggests filing after setting? Tips on harder steel more apt to chip?

I've seen vintage instructions both ways, some suggest setting after filing cutters and some the other way around. Anderson suggest setting then filing. It makes more sense to me and I sharpen cutters as the very last step. As Trailtime said you can back hone if needed and why should you have razor sharp cutters when setting the teeth if you do not need to?

For setting harder teeth make sure that the point of the anvil is nearly inline with the point of the tooth bevel where the hammer strikes the tooth. Like this, no matter if using a hammer set or pliers type set:
162036464.dvUhrZ56.Z99A3820a.jpg

This is not good:
162036473.g1HEvTNN.Z99A3822a.jpg

For very hard teeth I have had good luck (never broke at tooth) setting the whole tooth on an anvil. Like this:
154660367.Bv2AnwUS.IMG_7163a.jpg

As a very last resort you can temper (soften) the cutters but that kind of defeats the idea of having a hard tooth that will hold a good cutting edge.

Last edited:
I “rehung” a lubricant bottle today but I couldn’t find where @Yankee Josh posted his last project bottle so I figured it probably belongs here anyway.

The bottle is a very old Rum bottle with lots of cool air bubbles. The hand carved stopper with a plug in it is also vintage but I had to carve and sand it a little to fit the bottle so I touched up the stain around the stopper where I worked then oiled and waxed it. The hook is a blacksmith made NOS vintage item and even the hemp is stuff that I got like 25 years ago. I stained and waxed it before whiplashing the hook to the bottle.
BF111-A77-20-DF-450-F-9297-60-EF9-D9-D3743.jpg

1-A89-F9-AE-B399-46-F6-930-E-03-A9-DB9-E61-A2.jpg

86-F7-DF13-D2-C5-4-F27-8235-04-CC8-EE5-B31-D.jpg

Next to an antique.
5-C17-B4-CD-9506-4-E17-9-B37-F2-EDECC4-C6-B9.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice! I've never seen one with a hole drilled through the stopper with a plug. All I've seen just have a little slot cut in the side of the stopper with no way to plug it.
Interesting, that old one I have there also has a hole drilled through the stopper. Of course, no plug remaining.

Last edited:
Back