Cru-ware vs Rex-45 experiences.

A few months age the para 3 in cru-ware was THE steel to get and you couldn’t go wrong with that choice. Now everybody is all caught up in the new rex-45 para 3 (good luck trying to find one). Does anyone have info on their comparison or benefits between these two super steels?

I did visit the spyderco booth at GX yesterday and was told a para 3 in maxamet is coming out ( no date yet, but in the future ). It did appear in the upcoming releases catalog a while back before the cru-ware version came out but no sightings yet for maxamet para 3’s.

I asked Shawn about this in a PM about a week or so back but I think he may have skipped over that part of the discussion we were having. So, I'll be interested in impressions as well.

The most obvious characteristic would be that the Cru-Wear will have better stain / corrosion resistance.

I'd expect that the ability to support a thin edge would be similar but that's speculation...both being tough steels.

Both seem to take fine edges based upon the video reviews online from Michael Christy.

Both seem to take fine edges based upon the video reviews online from Michael Christy.

Ha ha. I just got done watching some of his videos. Shaving a single hair twice and still in one piece is crazy.

I just ordered a M390 para 3. So now I have cru ware and M390 to play with.

A few months age the para 3 in cru-ware was THE steel to get and you couldn’t go wrong with that choice. Now everybody is all caught up in the new rex-45 para 3 (good luck trying to find one). Does anyone have info on their comparison or benefits between these two super steels?

I did visit the spyderco booth at GX yesterday and was told a para 3 in maxamet is coming out ( no date yet, but in the future ). It did appear in the upcoming releases catalog a while back before the cru-ware version came out but no sightings yet for maxamet para 3’s.

I think one that thing that makes the Rex 45 blades stand out is the excellent heat treat. Very high hardness which increases toughness a lot. The Para 3 Maxamet is already out, or did you mean a second release? I'm sure they are working on releasing it again but I think they're working on more efficient manufacturing processes to reduce waste and cost.

... The Para 3 Maxamet is already out, or did you mean a second release? I'm sure they are working on releasing it again but I think they're working on more efficient manufacturing processes to reduce waste and cost.

Yeah. I missed on seeing any release date when they came out. And due to the higher cost vs cruwear I was ok with getting the cru. And I haven’t seen any of the 9 online places that I know of that has the maxamet para 3.

I bought my MM Para 3 in March. I had always planned on getting the MM version so I never got the cruwear version then been kicking my self since last year for not buying it for $125 new. Crazy

I know people seem to turn their nose up at it, but imho the PM2 in Cru-Wear available on Knifecenter is a nice knife. I might have preferred the standard G10 but I have no issues with the knife and the price was right.

If you're looking for Cru-Wear you could do a lot worse. Again, just my opinion.

Here's another Rex45 test

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmqCKDJgHoq/

And some on this page compilation in one post...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnReuyJAGOq/
I don't agree with the comment someone made that the edge was burned. I don't think that can happen with their sharpening robot where as maybe it used to be possible with the old hand sharpening. Good to hear about corrosion resistance I was wondering how it would compare to other things.

Also you said it was almost as tough as M4? I wish Spyderco ran the M4 steel at higher hrc so we could see more apples to apples

Test I saw Rex 45 was significantly tougher than M4

I’m impressed with Rex 45. I pruned a couple handfuls of finger sized bottle brush branches this evening with my Para 3. Not a super hard wood, but I put quite a bit of lateral stress on the edge making a lot of carving cuts. The edge was unfazed and would still easily shave. I did some similar type work with my 204P Millie once, and it caused some minor edge rolling.

Nothing scientific here. I just like it so far. It did take some stain from the bottle brush, so I have a San Mai look now. :cool:

L0hknGYl.jpg

3G1t1tPl.jpg

Last edited:
The M4/Rex 45 "toughness" test making the rounds on the internet and youtube probably tests strength more than toughness. Both steels passed the toughness test, as in chipping was minor. The M4 rolled, which means it was not strong enough to withstand the lateral force. The Rex 45 is harder, so it is stronger, and did not roll, and at the same time has enough toughness to not chip in that test.

The M4/Rex 45 "toughness" test making the rounds on the internet and youtube probably tests strength more than toughness. Both steels passed the toughness test, as in chipping was minor. The M4 rolled, which means it was not strong enough to withstand the lateral force. The Rex 45 is harder, so it is stronger, and did not roll, and at the same time has enough toughness to not chip in that test.
Problem is M4 doesn't work at the same hardness Rex45 does without being brittle at the edge.

Problem is M4 doesn't work at the same hardness Rex45 does without being brittle at the edge.

Yes, probably true, though Crucible's data sheet for Rex 45 shows that M4 at 65 is significantly tougher than Rex 45 at 67. That M4 Para 3 in the test was probably in the 62-64 range, the Rex 45 maybe 66.

An older one, but it gives the hardness:

https://www.cartech.com/globalassets/datasheet-pdfs/cpm_rex_45.pdf

A newer one that also shows the difference, but without stating the hardness:

www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets2010/ds45rev12010.pdf

My point was that the test showed strength more than it did toughness. Even so, I was impressed with how they both did with that kind of lateral stress, particularly the Rex 45. Every time I heard that pop as the blade was torqued out of the cut I was expecting a piece of the edge to go flying. It makes me wonder how other steels would do in that same test - like S110V and Maxamet.

High speed steel outperforming M series steels. Man, the friction to heat that stuff up to its performance range must be ridiculous. Someone must be opening boxes at an alarming rate!

M4 was able to perform at just under 700 degrees F if I remember right. What are they cutting non stop that heats up to such high levels via friction and isnt damaged by the heat of the blade.

I want a Para 3 with 3V. If theyre gonna do Cru Wear they might as well do 3V.

I want a Para 3 with 3V. If theyre gonna do Cru Wear they might as well do 3V.

THIS!!! I would love to see a whole run of 3V sprints. Para 3, Military, Native, Manix...Manix XL, Manix Backlock, and Shaman would all be great with 3V as well. Yes, you will have your haters who say there is no point to putting 3V in a folder, but I think there are more than enough people like us to justify a run of sprints.

Cruwear has always been my favorite. I’ve chipped m390, M4, s90v, CTS-XHP, AND REX 45. (I was cutting some tall weeds around a campfire and was lower to the ground than I thought and hit a rock. Didn’t even feel it.)

But I have never EVER chipped Cruwear. And I’ve hit stone, a ceramic plate, carved hardwood, you name it. I also firmly believe Cruwear is more stainless but let the tests roll out first.

REX is certainly giving it a run for its money though. Loving this steel.
Both easy to sharpen.
Both somewhat stainlessish
Cruwear is tough as nails and REX is so hard I can’t tell if it’s “tough” or just harder than everything weve seen it cut.

Seems like Rex is Cruwear that gave up a little stainlessness and toughness, for better edge holding and higher hardness.
Like a harder m4 but no loss in ease of sharpening (because of the cobalt)?
Am I rambling or making sense.. my head hurts:confused:

Back