CS Christmas Sale & Broken Skull Knives

Well, you snooze, you lose! My CS Christmas Sale catalogue arrived in the mail, and I didn't act quickly enough. I have been toying with buying a Broken Skull, but have been put off with the name and the price. Then along comes a pink one for $40 in CTS XHP steel... and the Tactical Rondel marked down over $100. Do I jump on the deal? Of course not! Now they are sold out.

So I'm thinking about the blue Broken Skull for $50, but wait a minute, it's listed as XHP steel also, but their web site says S35VN steel. Which is it? Next stop, Walmart web site. I ended up paying a few dollars more (even with the free shipping), but their web site says XHP steel. Plus, I can return it to the store for a full refund if that's not the correct steel.

I was too slow on the draw. Can anyone comment on the differences between the two steels?
By the way, I could have lived with the pink handles as they match the color of the Shell Pink Stratocaster that just showed up at my house...

There are a couple Youtube testers who got better edge retention with XHP compared to S35VN. XHP seems more popular on these boards. Of course the scarcity adds to the value.
Practically speaking I don't think you'll notice a difference.
Hope you like the knife. It's amazingly light weight and yet plenty robust.

FWIW in the latest article about steel corrosion resistance that Larrin wrote on his site(knifesteelnerds.com), he didn’t consider XHP a true stainless steel based on his test results and that S35VN is more corrosion resistance. I personally prefer S35VN and i own both S35VN and XHP version of multiple cold steel knives, and I honestly can’t tell much of a difference between the 2 steel in cutting performance.

I have both S35Vn and CTS XHP versions of the Broken Skull. In normal use, I don't see any performance differences and either is easy to maintain. I actually use my S35VN blades more and I never feel lacking.

Back