1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CS folders you would like shrink?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by insta9ves, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    Exactly! Unfortunately CS seems to be backing away from XL folders with no new models offered in 2016.

2. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Outstanding vid. Thanks! :cool: Now I really want that Tuff Lite XL.:thumbup:

3. ohioan

ohioan Basic Member Basic Member

May 22, 2012
    I'd like a 3" Talwar. I enjoy having multiple sizes of the same knife.

I own the Hold Out Series. I carry the III at work, the II as a off work EDC and the I when when I'm feeling frisky.

I just picked up a Talwar 5.5", will be picking up a 4" soon. I'd love the have a 3" to match the hold out series

4. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd prefer a 3.5" Talwar with a straighter handle. 3.5" is sweet spot for me. Maybe i'm asking for a new knife, but i've heard complain about the talwar handle being too restrictive, hence even people with large hand is having trouble with the 5.25" handle

5. ohioan

ohioan Basic Member Basic Member

May 22, 2012
    I can get a hand and a half on the XL Talwar handle.... I can't imagine how big your hands would have to be for the XL handle to be too small.

6. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    5.25" handle refers to the handle size of the normal 4" talwar. I've seen people in the forums complaining about the handle being curvy and restrictive hence leaving only limited space for the hand to grip on. I believed i saw this on the Recon 1 vs Talwar thread, where most people thinks Recon 1 handle with the same length fits their hand better because it's relatively more neutral

7. mael333ca

mael333ca

Jul 5, 2012
    a code 4, with a thinner blade stock too, for less car door destruction and more slicing ability.

8. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    :D Only large and XL are interesting. I have SAK's for the rest.

9. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Well I can understand that. CS does have pretty much every base covered, its just that the first time I took the XL voyager out of the box I was like :D:D:D. None of my large sized Cold Steels have done that for me. I would HATE to see CS jump on the teeny tiny knife bandwagon and start phasing out the XL's, which I dont think they will.

10. hermit dave

hermit dave Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oddly, they've discontinued the entire Talwar series, as well as the Recon 1 XL clip point. I think they will always make large/gargantuan folders as long as people buy them. I personally own a Recon 1 XL clip point (CTS-XHP) and an Espada large (OD green CTS-XHP) and they are both fantastic, and would a bargain at MSRP (I paid well under half that).

Back on subject, I think they have the small knife market covered, although a 3-MAX would be nice.

11. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Holy schist! I didn't even notice that, but a perusal of their new site shows no Talwars. That bums me out. :(

12. hermit dave

hermit dave Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2011
    There's still a lot of them on the market @ really good prices (especially the aus8 versions). I had a XL in coyote brown, but didn't like the grip and sold it.

13. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Why I am then the only one who can't find a decent deal on them?
    I've been looking to trade my Ti-Lite 6 Limited Edition for an XL talwar in OD Green, or Coyote Tan, but no luck in any place. From forums to trades sites, nobody seems to have one of those!

And if I found a deal on an old AUS8 one I'd gladly take it, but all the main sellers (Knifecenter, Knifeworks) that ship overseas have run out of stock already.
    Darn!

14. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Weird. The talwar is one of my favorite cold steel folders. Guess didnt sell well or they need room for new models?

15. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm all for a smaller 4 Max aka AD10. I would pre-order that right now.

16. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    Broken Skull - spear point 3.5" blade with stronger tip and thicker G-10 like in CS Talwar.

17. Lockedin

Lockedin

May 20, 2016
    Similar Knives:
    American Lawman (3.5" Spear Point, G10 Scales)
    Ultimate Hunter (3.5" Drop Point, G10 Scales)
    Code 4 (3.5" Spear Point, Aluminum Scales)

FWIW, I really like my Ultimate Hunter. The scales are a bit thicker and nicely contoured. I go between the Ultimate Hunter, AK-47, Larger Voyager and an XL Talwar for EDC.

18. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Sure, but they are not Broken Skull. Im sure most people here who bought the BS is long aware of the models you mentioned.

Design matters. If you are just plainly looking at size and weight then CS can stop producing any new models cause they got everything covered.
    It's like when people ask for a smaller Spyderco Military, sure you can suggest Manix 2, why do we still need Paramilitary 2? Or maybe ZT can stop producing anything beyond ZT0550, since all of the model that came out after that have similar size. Or why produce anything else other than Recon 1 and Lawman series, since they pretty much covers anything from XL to micro. The entire Benchmade lineup wouldn't exist if that's the case, since there are too many "overlaps".

BTW, i personally would prefer CS keep the thinness of the BS since IMO the selling point for BS is its size/weight ratio. A 3.5" blade 8" OAL Broken Skull would probably cut its weight down to 2.5oz which puts it in Benchmade 940's range(the new G-10 version) which is a popular EDC size for many people.

I've yet to find anything other than the 940 with this number:
    - 7.9" Overall
    - 3.4" Blade
    - 2.6oz

19. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Opinel?

20. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh yeah, that... in fact i just bought a no.8 and no.9
    But that doesnt really count...... or maybe they do :yawn: But im just not carrying them around, probably because i carry my knife in the back pocket and the thickness plus the round shape is literally giving me a "butt hurt" :cool: