CS vs SS

Helo to all,

I know this will set off some howls, but I prefer SS blades over CS. For me, they take and hold a good edge which can be tuned on a strop easily. No rust given normal care, no patina issues, etc. My first knife was a Case 6269 half Congress in CS, bought in 1962 while in college. Still have it. But since then my knives have been with SS blades. Most are Case knives plus a few Schrade (USA) Uncle Henry's. Isn't freedom of choice great!

That's overly simplistic. I'll take 1095 over 420J2. For folding knives, stainless steel definitely has definite advantages. But for large knives that may be subjected to high levels of stress? Keep your SS and give me some differentially tempered carbon steel.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with preferring SS over carbon. I lean toward carbon steel, but have been finding that Case's Tru-sharp stainless will take, and hold an edge probably as well as their CV steel. I have a GEC with a 440C blade that takes an incredible edge, and one of the Forum knives made by Buck in stainless that is as sharp as any carbon blade I own. It's all a matter of what YOU like, and how it works for you. We are blessed to have such a huge number of variations and choices at our disposal.

I don't use a knife hard enough for it to make much of a difference. I cleaned a bucket of panfish last year with a Case Muskrat with SS trusharp blade & didn't need to resharpen it afterwards .... thats good enough for me. I'm fine with SS...

Most of my knives are stainless, simply because there is no choice, in the pattern I want, by the brand(s) I can afford.
A couple where I had a choice in the matter (Opinel Number 8 and Mora Number One, for example) I "splurged" and bought the Carbon Steel version' "just because".
Either or will do everything I need a knife to do. I don't mind a patina.

Each has its advantages. I lean heavily to carbon steel blades on traditionals because, in my mind, it’s more traditional than stainless (yes, I know the chronology). Whether true or not (a subjective judgement) I like carbon and the character it can develop.

I like carbon steel a little better myself, but stainless is great too. I like Tru Sharp for pocketknives, its pretty good (I prefer Bucks stainless, but Tru Sharp is a good option). It really doesnt lag too far behind CV, and its good to not worry about rust and patina.

Y
For me, it's all about the temper.

Geoff
Yeah, I can't say a bad word about my case medium stockman. It's a good little carver and takes a whisper edge. I'm currently having a bit of a fling with my queen trapper - D2 is my favorite knife steel, and I completely agree it's all in the temper. Mora and Case do their work well.

I like carbon or tool steel much more than stainless.

But I have some super nice non traditional stainless also; H1 and even nicer LC200N.

Patina is not a " issue " it's the beauty of carbon steel, and I don't get rust on my carbon steel blades because I give them normal care.
I'll take what I can get most times, but do prefer carbon steel and love it most because the patina adds a charm over time you'll never get with stainless steel.

Nothing wrong with preferring stainless steel at all though.

This is like asking if you like the Ford F150 or the Chevy Silverado.
It's simply a personal choice based on your lifestyle and influences.

I'll take a good modern stainless any day of the week. But when the choice is cheap stainless vs cheap carbon steel, carbon wins every time because it holds an edge far longer for me. Now if we could get something like AEBL instead of 420J2 or 440A, I'd be willing to give it a spin.

Oh thank Goodness, I was afraid this topic wouldn't ever come up again. ;):D
I like my carbon steel knife blades and all the characteristics that come with it. But if somebody were to produce a high quality traditional knife (akin to a GEC), in a pattern I really like, with high quality stainless steel blades (>440C) , at a reasonable "user" price... I'd pick one up for sure. C'mon Lionsteel, how 'bout some pinned construction for us traditionalists. :cool::thumbsup:

Oh thank Goodness, I was afraid this topic wouldn't ever come up again. ;):D
I like my carbon steel knife blades and all the characteristics that come with it. But if somebody were to produce a high quality traditional knife (akin to a GEC), in a pattern I really like, with high quality stainless steel blades (>440C) , at a reasonable "user" price... I'd pick one up for sure. C'mon Lionsteel, how 'bout some pinned construction for us traditionalists. :cool::thumbsup:
check out Enigma Knives, John.

My interest in carbon steel is on the downswing and I am once again more appreciative of modern steels. All the fusion modern/traditional patterns appearing are very exciting to me. That Viper Swayback released by CollectorKnives with titanium construction and M390 steel is so fantastic for a assembled knife, its getting harder for me to justify the value of similarly priced GEC with brass and carbon steel. (I still can't resist buying both types, btw, so don't even.... ) ;-P

Back