CS vs SS

Patina is not a[n] " issue "

It is if you don't like patina...
It's simply a personal choice

Exactly. If your preference is stainless, buy stainless. If it's carbon, buy carbon. If you like both, get both. Who cares what anyone else says (an exception being Bill Howard; I would like it if he said, "More stainless!")?

I like stainless personally. Here are some of my favorites. The 2018 Buck forum 301 (CPM154), a Moki Kronos (VG10), a Camilus/Santa Fe Stoneworks (unknown, but definitely stainless), an A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut (VG10), a Canal Street Co-op (154CM) and a Fontenille-Pataud Laguiole XS (14C28N). All great knives with good steels. Apologies for the poor photo, but the thread needed one!

stainless_trads.jpg

I like to buy knives that have stainless steel forged over carbon:

fOFWUou.jpg

MzoPCip.jpg

Stainless is very convenient in the summer heat and humidity but I use carbon most of the time. I really don't care about specific steel types anymore, it all cuts with proper geometry and all of them eventually need sharpening.

Stainless is very convenient in the summer heat and humidity but I use carbon most of the time. I really don't care about specific steel types anymore, it all cuts with proper geometry and all of them eventually need sharpening.
In my opinion you just 'cut' through you-know-what.

AEB-L is a good stainless steel for people who like carbon steel. It has similar toughness and sharpenability and takes a smooth keen edge unlike the SS's with large carbides.

So where does D2 fit into this discussion? LOL

Re my original post. Should have stated that my SS preference was for folders, and more specifically EDC folders. My current favorites are the peanut, swayback gent, and mini copperhead. I have larger folders, but they don't get EDC. For fixed blade knives, I know very little. But I can appreciate the need for a robust steel to withstand tougher uses. All of myDad's folders were CS, and they worked fine. but SS wasn't an option back then. I have no beef with CS. Just a preference for SS in EDC folders. Cheers, and please don't ban me!

Re my original post. Should have stated that my SS preference was for folders, and more specifically EDC folders. My current favorites are the peanut, swayback gent, and mini copperhead. I have larger folders, but they don't get EDC. For fixed blade knives, I know very little. But I can appreciate the need for a robust steel to withstand tougher uses. All of myDad's folders were CS, and they worked fine. but SS wasn't an option back then. I have no beef with CS. Just a preference for SS in EDC folders. Cheers, and please don't ban me!
You don't get banned for preferring SS...... SHUNNED, maybe, but not banned....:D

Boy, I'll second that !! Those allen head screws are the first thing I notice ... just don't like the concept.

Another personal preference. I like them. And screwed together construction is definitely traditional, it's only the shape of the driver that's the issue ...

I probably don't really have a preference. If I like a knife and get it, I'll makes excuses for the advantages of whatever steel it happens to have. If it's carbon, it will patina and develop it's own personal character similar to my other non-knife tools. If it's stainless, I won't have to worry about rust and it will always have that mirror-like blade.

I like and use them both. I have a few examples of identical knife patterns in both Case CV and Case SS (two muskrats and several swaybacks) and I find that I'm able to get them equally sharp to the point where they will easily pop off individual arm hairs. (That's sharp enough for me.) I'm not a heavy enough user that I can comment on durability or which one will hold an edge longer. I do like the "romance" of CV (The "traditional knife with traditional steel" kind of thing) and a like a nice patina making a newer knife look older and well used.

Here's an interesting series of videos that compare two Case tribal locks, one SS and one CV. It's long and detailed, with over 45 minutes of video. (skip to the last one for the 4.5 minute summary):

Last edited:
Back