CTS-XHP or CPM M4?

Ok, I'm definitely becoming mental about edges and getting knives stupid sharp.

Having said that...what are all of your collective opinions about getting a folder in M4 or CTS-XHP. I'm thinking of getting a Spyderco Millie or Manix...

I'm not too concerned about the staining nature of M4...but I do love getting knives SHARP.

Thanks!

M4 is not the same as CPM M4. We'll go with the alloy you put in the title.

Haven't tried CTS-XHP yet. But according to Carpenter, it is supposed to have the edge holding of D2. CPM M4 holds an edge considerably better than D2.

CTS-XHP Cuts like d-2 but will hold an edge much longer I believe thats why it is being compared to d2...I have both a military and manix2 in XHP and I love the steel, I also have the gayle bradley which also happens to be another favorite of mine...They both can get scary sharp and m4 doesn't rust as easily as I thought it would...sorry not much help but honestly try and just both military in xhp and manix in m4 (they are my favorite spyderco models)

I have a Millie CTS-XHP can not say about sharpness (I use a spyderco sharpmaker no stropping) but edge holding is excellent. Use it cutting roots in dirt, looses its razer edge quick but stays sharp for the rest of the time maybe 20 cuts through tough roots under ground. Comes back to razer sharp on white rod quick, I give it 20 strokes but probobly is there before then.

XHP is one of the better all around steels, it sharpens easy, takes a very nice edge, holds it for a long time and it's an aggressive cutter.

It reminds me more of ZDP than it does D2.

I have a Military and Manix 2 in each steel, and while I do love XHP, I still prefer CPM-M4.

I would guess M4 will get sharper more easily as well as have better edge retention. Assuming a hard heat treat in the HRC 62-63 range. M4 gets amazingly Sharp in my experience and without that much work.

I really like CPM-M4 and this is my user till the end of the month since I am on site. I cant speak for CTS-XHP, but if it is anything like D2 it will be great.

DSCN0115resize.jpg

DSCN0138resize.jpg

I have been testing fixed blades with both steels.

A Bark River CTS-XHP Woodland Special Prototype and a spyderco M-4 Mule.

The M-4 does hold a scary sharp edge longer,

...but the XHP settles into working edge that seems to never quit cutting.

I also like the CPM-S35VN, and would rate it close to the XHP.

Big Mike

Seems my dilemma between these two fine edged steels is still up in the air. I kind of like the idea of carrying around a "rusty" (actually it will probably just be patina'd) blade so maybe I'll go with M4.

Seems my dilemma between these two fine edged steels is still up in the air. I kind of like the idea of carrying around a "rusty" (actually it will probably just be patina'd) blade so maybe I'll go with M4.

That what got me into M4.

I have 2 XM-18s in CTS-XHP and love the steel. Easy to restore a sharp edge and cuts for a long time before needing attention.

Military in brown G10 XHP or Military in black G10 M4, you will be happy either way, but happier with both!

Back