Cult of the peanut , members

OK, ladies and gentlemen. I finally get it. Peanuts are incredible.

20170224_082332.jpg

As I have said before, my favorite slip joints are what I can attach a story to. Truthfully, a big ol' one handed folder is more convenient at work as I have always been a stickler for work place knife safety and Make-a-cut-close-the-knife has been my policy for years so that sharp open blades aren't left around where a kid might stumble across them.

Anyway, I have started to gravitate toward smaller and smaller traditional knives. The big ones lay in my pocket sideways or are too big to fit in my fifth pocket or if riding in a pocket clip sheath take up too much room for my pen and/or multitool. The Peanut is perfect.

This particular Peanut is brand new. I just got it from my wife and daughter for my birthday this morning, but I am already in love. While amber bone has always been my favorite faux-stag finish, I wasn't sure about the stainless blades. I prefer CV most of the time and the patina it achieves. That said, most of my pocket knife work is garnish prep. My lovely wife enjoys a lemon twist in her beverages and I like to make them razor thin with no pith. The CV steel sometimes leaves a bit of tarnish on my effort.

My wife is out of town today, so she and my 6 year old hid my gift in her closet. When I got my daughter up for school this morning, she said, "Is it Friday today?"

I said, "Yes it is. Time to get up."

She sleepily said, "It's..it's your..(narrows her eyes slyly)..You can look in my closet. There's a pocket knife in there.":D

Sure enough, spoiled surprise or not, there was a little Case box holding the Peanut inside. I was actually really surprised. I sorta thought I wasn't going to get anything else for my birthday. My wife and I are 6 days apart. Between Valentine's Day, her birthday, and then my birthday we just sort of lump it all together. She encouraged me to buy the new leather jacket I wanted at an outlet this past weekend for my birthday, so I figured I was one and done. The Peanut is an absolute treat and unexpected surprise:)

I've decided that I am going to attempt to go Minimalist for 2 weeks straight. No big pistol or revolver, no pocket sword folder. Just the Peanut, a .380, and a Leatherman Rebar (I really need a decent size tool at work, so that's as minimalist as I will compromise there;)).

The Peanut really is more knife than what you would expect. The handle fills my hand just enough that any cut I make is precision and there really isn't even enough room for the blade to bite down should you manage to defeat the stout little back springs. Kind of ingenious:)

In an internet world with thread after thread about bringing enough knife/gun for bears and roving meth gangs and terrorists, the Peanut is a nice comfortable reality check. I'm really excited to join the cult.

Steely, welcome aboard! The Peanut IS a reality check. I always feel obligated to carry bigger and longer blades just because I own them, but the reality is that in my daily life and with the line of work I'm in, I almost never need more than the Peanut. They're great little knives. Yours looks fantastic.

suffering from Blade Redundancy

Steely, welcome aboard! The Peanut IS a reality check. I always feel obligated to carry bigger and longer blades just because I own them, but the reality is that in my daily life and with the line of work I'm in, I almost never need more than the Peanut. They're great little knives. Yours looks fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words. It's a cute little bugger:) I'm loving it.

In an internet world with thread after thread about bringing enough knife/gun for bears and roving meth gangs and terrorists, the Peanut is a nice comfortable reality check. I'm really excited to join the cult.

You've taken a step into a larger real world, Luke!

:)

On May 15th, in the year of our Lord 2016, I set to mind something that I could not say about myself for a long time. I decided to carry one knife, every day, for a year. (Yes, I "supplement" this knife, but only because I feel like it some days. I have knife-knut-itis, and I accept that now. Still, the peanut is carried regardless of what else is in the pocket). Yesterday, to kick of "spring" break, I took a long hike in the VA mountains. Being about 45* with a 20mph wind, I took my first chance to make a small fire. It had been raining all night, so fire was a challenge, but my bag is full of tricks! A Mora classic 2 is my go-to woods knife, and a flint and steel kit is my go-to fire starter. After using the Mora to split some sticks and make some coarser feather sticks, the nine month old peanut made some tiny fatwood shavings and gave fuel to the bird's nest. Finally, a quick strike of carbon steel against a rock ignites the charred cloth, and this is blown into flame.

Cozy, isn't it?

I think I may have found what works for me. Sometimes I want more, but I never really need more from a pocket knife. If I need more, I'll use my Mora, but that is rare. I guess a small, sharp, 90% knife is all I want now.
fire%20nut_zpstp85k82e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ben,

Great report and pics to go with it :thumbup:

The Peanut truly is a wonderful little knife. I've carried mine more than any other knife I own - it's probably been with me 80+% of the time for nearly 3 years now. It rides in my watch pocket as a companion to my Barlow or Stockman. The Peanut is the one I reach for quite often and I've found there are few tasks in my daily routines that it's not fully capable of tackling. For heavier work I reach for the large Stockman, but in reality the Peanut is a very capable companion for routine daily tasks.

83B4AC69-9E4C-4CEC-9BC8-FC1B26BF8F18_zpsmi7eixj1.jpg

Just a thought... What is the most worn-out looking Peanut anyone in the thread has? I'd like to see some Peanuts that have been carried and used/abused for years!

Ben, great to see the Peanut in action outdoors!
Ranchman, you're right on all points; the Peanut is a perfect companion. It also is the best suit knife I've carried (although my Dragonfly does make its way into my dress pants pocket once in a while too). After perusing your thread on your Amberbone Large Stockman, I'm itching for one.
4f274f861b3ebbd0f5c27f781b3b8019.jpg

Why has Case not put out more Peanuts with a bail or lanyard hole? I would love a Peanut with a bail... It just seems like something that I wouldn't be alone in wanting.

Why has Case not put out more Peanuts with a bail or lanyard hole? I would love a Peanut with a bail... It just seems like something that I wouldn't be alone in wanting.

Ben, that is the sixty-four thousand dollar question, as Groucho would say.

If Case would bring out peanuts with a bail, I'd carry one or two, even if I had to mod the blade tang so I could open it easily!!!!

Ben, great to see the Peanut in action outdoors!
Ranchman, you're right on all points; the Peanut is a perfect companion. It also is the best suit knife I've carried (although my Dragonfly does make its way into my dress pants pocket once in a while too). After perusing your thread on your Amberbone Large Stockman, I'm itching for one.
4f274f861b3ebbd0f5c27f781b3b8019.jpg

Wow that large Stockman thread was awhile ago! The 6375 Stockman is BIG, so in case you haven't handled one just know it's the polar opposite of the Peanut. I do like it for days when I know I'll be doing some heavier cutting but don't require a fixed blade.

Ben, that is the sixty-four thousand dollar question, as Groucho would say.

If Case would bring out peanuts with a bail, I'd carry one or two, even if I had to mod the blade tang so I could open it easily!!!!

Has anyone modified a Peanut to have a bail?

I've got one Case peanut with a bail.

It's a '78 single blade model, stainless, big fat stag slabs. Very nice peanut.

(I should really get with the program and post some photos.)

I finally got around to modifying the pen into a wharncliffe tonight.
I've been wanting to do it ever since I saw r8shel's peanut a while back. I was originally wanting to pick up a delrin nut to practice on, but I got impatient.
STgLW00.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the result. The straight edge stops juuuuust shy of the tip and that kind of bugs me. I didn't want to remove any more of the blade so I figured I would stop while I still had a somewhat full blade. I also accidentally removed the sharpening notch. But other than those two things I'm happy.
It definitely needed the mod because the peanut was starting to feel a little stale. This reprofile should renew my interest in the little nut, though.

I finally got around to modifying the pen into a wharncliffe tonight.
I've been wanting to do it ever since I saw r8shel's peanut a while back. I was originally wanting to pick up a delrin nut to practice on, but I got impatient.
STgLW00.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the result. The straight edge stops juuuuust shy of the tip and that kind of bugs me. I didn't want to remove any more of the blade so I figured I would stop while I still had a somewhat full blade. I also accidentally removed the sharpening notch. But other than those two things I'm happy.
It definitely needed the mod because the peanut was starting to feel a little stale. This reprofile should renew my interest in the little nut, though.

Looks great! You could try to refine the tip, or just use it and it should get there after a few sharpenings. :thumbup:

"We don't need no stinking sharpening notches" :D I had to go look at mine, and I did the same thing. I don't like when material gets snagged in a notch, anyway so I'll pretend it was on purpose. ;)

Back