Cult of the peanut , members

Hi, my name is Lee, I'm feeling a strong urge to purchase a Peanut. It probably has to do with the rave reviews and great stories here. I don't believe I'll find many people here who will try to talk me out of this crazy urge either. I wear gym shorts around the house a lot, the other day my SAK slid out of my shorts pocket while I was sitting on a stool, and the impact with the floor left a scratch on the alox. Tsk, tsk. Maybe something as small as a Peanut would feel less of a desire to jump out of my pocket? Also, I've tried the three knife thing, but I really only feel comfortable carrying two knives on a daily basis. Maybe a Peanut will work as my elusive third knife? I can hear it now, all you Cultists saying I don't need anything else besides a Peanut, but I have to start somewhere.

So it's down to which 'Nut to crack first. Today I found a Bear & Sons "bone stag" 2-blade Peanut for a great price, less than a yella Case. Can anyone speak to the quality of the B&S? The Case yella CV seems like the most classic example, but the chestnut CV posted above looks amazing and it's only a few dollars more. Any recommendations from the porch?

Lee
Well, Lee, I have a hankering for a peanut myself. Bought my wife a Case red bone CV peanut recently, and she loves it. I've been eyeing the chestnut bone CV, the amber bone SS, and the yellow (either steel--like them both). The latter two are easier to find around here. I own a few Case knives and love them, so that's my recommendation.

Hi, my name is Lee, I'm feeling a strong urge to purchase a Peanut. It probably has to do with the rave reviews and great stories here. I don't believe I'll find many people here who will try to talk me out of this crazy urge either. I wear gym shorts around the house a lot, the other day my SAK slid out of my shorts pocket while I was sitting on a stool, and the impact with the floor left a scratch on the alox. Tsk, tsk. Maybe something as small as a Peanut would feel less of a desire to jump out of my pocket? Also, I've tried the three knife thing, but I really only feel comfortable carrying two knives on a daily basis. Maybe a Peanut will work as my elusive third knife? I can hear it now, all you Cultists saying I don't need anything else besides a Peanut, but I have to start somewhere.

So it's down to which 'Nut to crack first. Today I found a Bear & Sons "bone stag" 2-blade Peanut for a great price, less than a yella Case. Can anyone speak to the quality of the B&S? The Case yella CV seems like the most classic example, but the chestnut CV posted above looks amazing and it's only a few dollars more. Any recommendations from the porch?

Lee

While I have no experience with Bear & Sons cutlery, I can solidly recommend the yella CV Case! Carried one while I was working in construction and oilfield, and never really found a job it couldn’t do.

PJ, thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward a Case. Hard to tell from the pictures, but the B&S blade looks a little narrower than the Case, and I'd like the wider blade. Also the B&S is stainless, and I gravitate toward CV and other high carbon blades.

Chestnut & CV steel-go together like pretzels & beer
View attachment 942591
oldtymer, that's a good looking Peanut pic, and your analogy has me almost sold. My only concern is if I drop a Peanut on the floor, is delrin more durable and resistant to cracking than bone?
I've seen a lot of older delrin pieces with pin cracks, so I know it's not indestructable, but I wonder of newer delrin isn't better?
Lee

Lee, I would go for the yellow delrin and CV peanut. The 'yella' is about as classic as you can get, and the CV blades will patina in time to a very nice contrast with the yellow delrin. Delrin is some very tough stuff and I highly doubt you can drop it on the floor and break it like bone or stag.

Lee, I would go for the yellow delrin and CV peanut. The 'yella' is about as classic as you can get, and the CV blades will patina in time to a very nice contrast with the yellow delrin. Delrin is some very tough stuff and I highly doubt you can drop it on the floor and break it like bone or stag.
I would tend to agree. I have a yellow CV mini-trapper, which I love. I don't think it would crack as easily as bone (I have an amber bone trapper with a tiny crack near the center pin when I dropped it).

Lee, I agree on the yeller cv. Hard to get more classic than yeller. I have had my brown delrin peanut for about two years now and I use it everyday. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and my peanut has hit the concrete countles times without any damage to the delrin. And the little thing cuts well above its size. I cut zip ties and radiator hose with ease. It opens packages like a laser beam. It also does food prep ok. All I can say is get one and enjoy. You will have plenty of knife for 99 % of what you need to cut and more room in your pockets for other handy little tools.

PS
I would go with case. The local ace hardware store here has bear and son and there fit and finish is not as good as case.

Last edited:
A lot of delrin does get a crack by the pin, but that seems to be as bad as it gets. Delrin is less brittle than bone, for sure.
Some authorities in this thread, if my memory serves, have said that only the Case peanut is a real peanut, because if a peanut doesn't have the pointy front bolster it's a small serpentine jack, not a peanut. It isn't a battle-line issue, though.
I like the Case but have no experience with the Bear & Sons.

A peanut is great by itself and also as a supplement to other knives. For a long time I didn't think I would like the yellow Delrin until I handled one (a slimline trapper). The look and feel is fantastic and it is a rugged material. Most days now I carry a yellow Delrin tribal lock in a horizontal belt sheath. It's a fantastic knife but the big drop point blade isn't suited for fine detail work. The solution, I've found, is to carry a peanut too.

I agree with porch, if it doesn't have the Case type bolster, then to me it isn't really a peanut. Some of the imports have that shaped bolster, so to me they might be a good alternative if you don't want to spend the money for a Case. Here is one from Frost Steel Warrior (China) in ram's horn with the "right" bolster.

tLlogjw.jpg

A lot of delrin does get a crack by the pin, but that seems to be as bad as it gets. Delrin is less brittle than bone, for sure.
Some authorities in this thread, if my memory serves, have said that only the Case peanut is a real peanut, because if a peanut doesn't have the pointy front bolster it's a small serpentine jack, not a peanut. It isn't a battle-line issue, though.
I like the Case but have no experience with the Bear & Sons.

I agree with the fact there is only one peanut, and it's name is Case.

But...I think of other similar size knives as a sort of red headed cousins from the other side of the tracks. A peanut relation in spirit in the family of the little guys like a peanut. The family of pocket knives that fit in a change pocket of jeans with room to spare. Knives like the Buck 309 and 305, the Boker pen, are a sort of like the same job description. A small little knife that disappears in a pocket but punches above it's weight class. Kind of like Audie Murphy. The little guys get under estimated a lot.

My new Case peanut has been getting pocket time just about every day (when I have a watch pocket).

Lee, I'd skip the Bear & Sons peanut. They are not known for quality production based on my experience. If you want something less expensive, look at Rough Rider. I suspect they have a peanut although it may not be called that.

I agree with porch, if it doesn't have the Case type bolster, then to me it isn't really a peanut. Some of the imports have that shaped bolster, so to me they might be a good alternative if you don't want to spend the money for a Case. Here is one from Frost Steel Warrior (China) in ram's horn with the "right" bolster.

tLlogjw.jpg

Nice chinese peanut.

Wow, what great advice! Thanks everyone for such a warm reception. So the yella Case CV Peanut it is! I ordered one this morning and it should be here in a few days. In the meantime, I think I'll just hang out on this porch, learn from those who have gone before me, and discuss knife knostalgia. Like my own scoutmaster's knife, an all-steel U.S. "demo" knife that he kept very sharp, which he had been issued in the Army and he carried in Vietnam. I immediately saw that it was superior to the plastic handled BSA knives for sale at the time, and first chance I got I went to the Remington store in the mall. There I found the U.S. knife I was looking for, but right next to it was the Victorinox Soldier, with the same tools as the scout/U.S. knife, but in a much nicer looking alox package. So I bought that Vic Soldier and I still have it today. I never carried it much, I really wished it had a bail like the U.S. version, but maybe 12-year-old-me would have lost it and it wouldn't be here today. Anyway, I ended up moving away at the end of that summer, and that was the end of my scouting career. But the lessons of find a quality knife, and keep it sharp, are still with me today.

I'll be sure to post pics of my new official Peanut when it arrives. Anyone have any tips on a stropping method or can recommend a good strop to keep a CV blade sharp? I expect there are many BF threads that someone can provide links to...

Lee

Rough Rider does indeed make a peanut! Shown here in tortoise shell acrylic with a couple of cousins. :)

41563792560_14b9d91c21_b.jpg
Yeah, I looked at the Rough Rider line after posting above and they do indeed have peanuts and labeled as such. I may have to pick one up myself next time I visit the "Rough Rider" store in Sevierville TN. It's hard to go wrong for $10 (unless that is your last $10).

The thing that really surprised me about my Case Peanut is the spring strength; it's good. I have tried so many Case knives only to ask to look at another one (often the same knife) because of the snap or lack there of. After a while, you get tired asking to see another one.

Wow, what great advice! Thanks everyone for such a warm reception. So the yella Case CV Peanut it is! I ordered one this morning and it should be here in a few days. In the meantime, I think I'll just hang out on this porch, learn from those who have gone before me, and discuss knife knostalgia. Like my own scoutmaster's knife, an all-steel U.S. "demo" knife that he kept very sharp, which he had been issued in the Army and he carried in Vietnam. I immediately saw that it was superior to the plastic handled BSA knives for sale at the time, and first chance I got I went to the Remington store in the mall. There I found the U.S. knife I was looking for, but right next to it was the Victorinox Soldier, with the same tools as the scout/U.S. knife, but in a much nicer looking alox package. So I bought that Vic Soldier and I still have it today. I never carried it much, I really wished it had a bail like the U.S. version, but maybe 12-year-old-me would have lost it and it wouldn't be here today. Anyway, I ended up moving away at the end of that summer, and that was the end of my scouting career. But the lessons of find a quality knife, and keep it sharp, are still with me today.

I'll be sure to post pics of my new official Peanut when it arrives. Anyone have any tips on a stropping method or can recommend a good strop to keep a CV blade sharp? I expect there are many BF threads that someone can provide links to...

Lee
Congrats on your new peanut. Can't wait to see it here.
I have a work sharp field sharpener. It has a coarse diamond sharpener on on side and a fine on the other. Then on the sides there are a ceramic rod on one side and a little leather strip on the other. That is what I use to sharpen all my knives, stainless and cv. You can use just about anything from the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug to the back of a leather belt. J jackknife has some good reads on the forums on knife sharpening.

The thing that really surprised me about my Case Peanut is the spring strength; it's good. I have tried so many Case knives only to ask to look at another one (often the same knife) because of the snap or lack there of. After a while, you get tired asking to see another one.
Mine is good also. In fact all my case knives have been fine. I guess I have been lucky.

I picked up a yellow peanut in cv a little over a week ago. I am pretty impressed with it after forcing myself to use it and it handles everything I try. Food prep is lacking sometimes but it works.

Makes you reconsider all my knives and their value when I need to pay to have my camp repaired and leveled. If the peanut works why do I need all the others? The peanut and Gec 14 are used more than most now.

Back