Cult of the peanut , members

You guys are great on this porch. I got up on imgur, so let's try some Peanut pics...

srjBN0w.png

EpG9WWq.png

This one's for Carl...
kiey6SA.png

Please let me know if these don't show up properly

Good taste in drink!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

;)
Well, I remember you mentioned it in a post once, and it stuck with me because Evan Williams Black label has been my daily go-to bourbon for years. I just bought a bottle of EW green label yesterday to save a couple of bucks, and it's better than I remember it being. Great for making a chilled summertime mixed drink. Anyway, I've been reading your stories over the past few days, and I'm really enjoying them. I need to get my boys to read them too. You also mentioned in an old post that you fished the Guadalupe River when you were stationed at Ft. Sam. I just took my boys kayaking and fishing on the Guadalupe last week. Didn't catch anything, but we enjoyed the river and they were getting a feel for their new small rod and reels for freshwater. Worst part for me was not having a pocket knife on me for fear of losing or getting it wet. How do you carry or pack your knife while canoeing? I'm assuming your trusty Peanut goes in the canoe with you. Next time I go I'll be sure to bring my Peanut in a ziplock bag or something. The Peanut really carries nicely in my gym shorts pocket, can barely feel it cause it's so tiny. I did drop it for the first time last night and one end of the Case shield popped up. I stuck it back down; guess I'll have to epoxy it in place one day.

Lee

Well, I remember you mentioned it in a post once, and it stuck with me because Evan Williams Black label has been my daily go-to bourbon for years. I just bought a bottle of EW green label yesterday to save a couple of bucks, and it's better than I remember it being. Great for making a chilled summertime mixed drink. Anyway, I've been reading your stories over the past few days, and I'm really enjoying them. I need to get my boys to read them too. You also mentioned in an old post that you fished the Guadalupe River when you were stationed at Ft. Sam. I just took my boys kayaking and fishing on the Guadalupe last week. Didn't catch anything, but we enjoyed the river and they were getting a feel for their new small rod and reels for freshwater. Worst part for me was not having a pocket knife on me for fear of losing or getting it wet. How do you carry or pack your knife while canoeing? I'm assuming your trusty Peanut goes in the canoe with you. Next time I go I'll be sure to bring my Peanut in a ziplock bag or something. The Peanut really carries nicely in my gym shorts pocket, can barely feel it cause it's so tiny. I did drop it for the first time last night and one end of the Case shield popped up. I stuck it back down; guess I'll have to epoxy it in place one day.

Lee

Lee, most the tome I went out in the canoe or kayak, I'd just drop whatever pocket knife I was carrying that day in my pocket like usual. A little water won't hurt anything in the short run, and at home that evening it gets dried out and a drop of oil in the joints. I've used a small SAK, peanut, Buck cadet, at different times with no long lasting ill effects from water.

Sometimes if I had my yella CV peanut or the Damascus peanut, I'd smear a light layer of Chapstick on the blades in the morning before going out. Just a dad on the index finger, rub finger and thumb together and smear on blade.

And yeah, I use the Even Williams green label for iced drinks in summer. I can't tell the difference and still get a bit buzzed!;)

Like father like son.
TrapperMike, that's a great pic. Enjoy that time with your boy because they grow up fast. I think both my boys' hands are bigger than mine now.

Carl, thanks for the advice on how to water proof a knife. I have less reservations about carrying this Peanut everywhere, because of its size and price point. It's less likely to work its way out of my pocket and if I did lose it I'm not out a lot of money. I'll admit that I'm VERY careful with my GEC knives. And since I've forced a patina on the blades I don't worry about them getting a little pit, which is less likely now anyway. I've been meaning to force patina more of my high carbon blades.

Lee

Another quick update... Due to the 'Nut's diminutive size, I forgot it was in my swimsuit pocket and got in the pool this afternoon. I was cleaning up the kitchen first and intended to take it out before I got in the water. There may have been a couple of whiskey sours involved, so I might not have been as aware as I should have been. Anyway, my next mistake was to take it out of the water and let it dry on a table. This is what I found a little while later:
kjBCizZ.png

gif1gTX.png

No problem, 3-In-One to the rescue! I applied some 3-In-One, let it soak for a little while, then wiped most of the rust off with a paper towel. Then more 3-In-One and a quick scrub with steel wool. Rust is gone and I had expected the patina to change over time anyway. I had originally forced the patina with a mostly dried out old piece of lime, so the patina was uneven. Hard to tell from the pics, but the rust formed in places that the patina was lighter or skipped over. Here are the pics of the cleaned up 'Nut:
W6XvS84.png

olvRl70.png

Next time I'll use a fresh juicy lime or a paper towel soaked in vinegar to force my patina. Oh, and remember to take my knife out of my pocket before getting in the water.

Lee

Lee, that's an outstanding lesson in why NOT to worry about CV or any other carbon steel rusting on you. If you neglect a knife enough for rust, just take some good old 3-in-1 or even some motor oil off a dip stick, and rub down the blade with some 0000 steel wool and it will be just fine. Maybe a little stained, but that's just patina. It takes a while for for a blade to pit, and if it's just wiped down that night, it's gonna be fine.

Your pics are a great example of why not to freak out if the blade rusts a little.

Great report!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

edit to add; I'm curious if the blades had any Chapstick on them before the pool immersion? I do see the blade tangs did not rust or even stain much, as I guess the blade pivots were oiled.

Lee, most the tome I went out in the canoe or kayak, I'd just drop whatever pocket knife I was carrying that day in my pocket like usual. A little water won't hurt anything in the short run, and at home that evening it gets dried out and a drop of oil in the joints. I've used a small SAK, peanut, Buck cadet, at different times with no long lasting ill effects from water.

Sometimes if I had my yella CV peanut or the Damascus peanut, I'd smear a light layer of Chapstick on the blades in the morning before going out. Just a dad on the index finger, rub finger and thumb together and smear on blade.

And yeah, I use the Even Williams green label for iced drinks in summer. I can't tell the difference and still get a bit buzzed!;)

Nice tip!

Lee, that's an outstanding lesson in why NOT to worry about CV or any other carbon steel rusting on you. If you neglect a knife enough for rust, just take some good old 3-in-1 or even some motor oil off a dip stick, and rub down the blade with some 0000 steel wool and it will be just fine. Maybe a little stained, but that's just patina. It takes a while for for a blade to pit, and if it's just wiped down that night, it's gonna be fine.

Your pics are a great example of why not to freak out if the blade rusts a little.

Great report!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

edit to add; I'm curious if the blades had any Chapstick on them before the pool immersion? I do see the blade tangs did not rust or even stain much, as I guess the blade pivots were oiled.

Carl, no, I didn't have the foresight to wax the blades. And yes, the tangs must have had enough mineral oil left on them since I flushed out the factory grit first thing. I honestly was going to take it out of my pocket before I got in the pool. But if this report can serve as encouragement to others to not be afraid of CV blades than my mistake was not in vain. I read the 1-star reviews on Amazon, and clearly some of those reviewers just didn't know what they had or how to take care of it. CV steel isn't indestructable, but if you know how to take care of it it's durable enough.

Speaking of CV, I wonder if there's a Cult of the Sodbuster Jr. thread somewhere out there on BF?

Lee

PS. I showed my Case Peanut to a coworker today, and he actually laughed at it. He's used to me bringing in medium to large size slipjoints. I had to explain, no, really, this is a real knife, and yes I'm carrying it everywhere for a month.

Last edited:
Carl, no, I didn't have the foresight to wax the blades. And yes, the tangs must have had enough mineral oil left on them since I flushed out the factory grit first thing. I honestly was going to take it out of my pocket before I got in the pool. But if this report can serve as encouragement to others to not be afraid of CV blades than my mistake was not in vain. I read the 1-star reviews on Amazon, and clearly some of those reviewers just didn't know what they had or how to take care of it. CV steel isn't indestructable, but if you know how to take care of it it's durable enough.

Speaking of CV, I wonder if there's a Cult of the Sodbuster Jr. thread somewhere out there on BF?

Lee

PS. I showed my Case Peanut to a coworker today, and he actually laughed at it. He's used to me bringing in medium to large size slipjoints. I had to explain, no, really, this is a real knife, and yes I'm carrying it everywhere for a month.

Lee, the one star reviews do not surprise me in the least. We now live in a time when there are a couple generations that have never felt with anything but stainless steel. They expect to have their knife of choice to be maintenance free, and nice and shiny forever.

When I grew up, stainless steel was not all that common and had a bad name from all the table ware junk of the 1930's and 40's. In the 1950's carbon steel was still the main norm for pocket knives. My own dad was skeptical of stainless steel. He carried and cared for his little carbon steel peanut and if that was too small, he had a cut down carbon steel machete in his car truck that was his 'bushwhacker' as he called it. It wasn't until the 1960's that stainless steel came into it's own, and actually replaced carbon steel as the mainstream martial. I call this the "Buck Knife Generation." I really believe e that Buck and the famous 110 was the tipping point in knife production and making stainless THE blade material. By the 1970's the Buck and its black belt pouch were on the hips of truck drivers, construction workers, bikers, factory/warehouse workers, hunters, campers, and the rest of society. With the Buck knife craze people used the ever lovin dog poo out often and they took it. Stainless got respect at last.

On the other hand, carbon steel is not going to rust away on you over night. Like your peanut that went swimming, it's just surface stuff and wipes off with some oil and 0000steel wool. A little prevention goes a very very long way, but people now have got lazy. They don't want to take the time to do just a tad of prevention. Just use and go. Good thing they make peanuts in stainless. Case stainless will see you through most jobs you haver to do. It's like the stainless in Victorinox SAK's, good stuff.

People say a SAK won't hold an edge, but compared to what? I unboxed a whole sofa that my sister in law ordered off the internet with a SAK, and had to slice through lots of double layered cardboard cocoon and packing tape to unbox that big sofa. The SAK did just fine and after I cleaned off the glue smears with some hand sanitizer that was mostly alcohol, it was still shape enough go on with. A 30 second touch up on the bottom of a coffee mug had it razor sharp again.

If the Vikings cold cross the ocean in open boats with their swords and axes not rusting away by the time they got to Greenland and Nova Scotia, and the conquistadors made it all the way to the new world with their rapiers and daggers intact, a carbon steel pocket kmie for the modern jungle of surbubia is not a great handicap.

Add a little Chapstick and you're all set. ;)

I bought a peanut in red sawcut bone and received it yesterday. I really REALLY want to have and use a peanut just for the novelty, but it had a main blade that was as far off center as possible and rubbed the liner and both tips were just proud of the frame. So, unfortunately, I've decided to send it back.

Hopefully I'll get to stop at Case after the GEC Rendezvous and pick one out in person.

Back