Cult of the peanut , members

G5YVe3f.jpg
/
Glad you found it. So nerve racking when a peanut runs off like that.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts and words. I’m glad to have my peanut back!

Went fishing again with one of my girls last night and she wants to go again this morning! I’ve got lots of things I should be doing around the house, but I am not going to miss a moment of my girl’s attention. In a few short years she’ll have better things to do than hang out with dad.
N3H1Bhc.jpg

Went fishing again with one of my girls last night and she wants to go again this morning! I’ve got lots of things I should be doing around the house, but I am not going to miss a moment of my girl’s attention. In a few short years she’ll have better things to do than hang out with dad.
N3H1Bhc.jpg
That is so true. Enjoy that time with the kids. Mine are still young and I try to spend as much time as I can with them. We are on a much needed vacation this week end and it has been such a blessing just spending time with them with out anything else to worry about. We are going to do some more fishing today.

It has been a blast reading this thread. What stands out is this: the peanut enjoys advantages often overlooked and unappreciated by the masses. Diminutive in stature and unassuming, possessing the quiet confidence of a champion the legume travels his own path. A confidence grounded in wisdom that “less is more”.

The “case” of the peanut parallels many of life’s lessons. With age we simplify. Our philosophy now patinated, we arrive at conclusions heretofore hidden. There is a discernment that comes with experience that brings us full circle.

To understand the peanut…. is to finally arrive.

I would be humbly grateful to be allowed in to the Cult of the Peanut.View attachment 959273

Welcome to The Cult Brother of the legume.

I've very often thought of the peanut as a metaphor for many of life lessons. It's so often that the small under estimated will get it done. Audie Murphy, Jimmy Dolittle, Doc Holiday, and Chesty Puller were all smaller than average. Like they all say, be careful of the little guy.

Stopped in at our local Tractor Supply store to see what knives they might happen to have, just a small little rotating thingy with some knives there, mostly Case but some others but nothing that jumped out at me.

But, I did want to get a Peanut again and they had this one on the display magnet board, last one left so I said yep, I'll take that one. Now to me, at least, Case steel can be hit or miss but you do have to factor in they make a LOT of knives so that's part of the hit or miss. This one the blades are solid, no play, main blade's tip was rounded but easily fixed, both knives would cut you if you really had to cut yourself, so I took them to my stones and they feel like they are a bit harder than what I've owned before from Case, that squeal you sometimes hear as the blade is complaining about being sharpened and doesn't want to give up it's steel. Both blades are little razor blades now.

This will ride in the watch pocket, taking over a RoughRider whittler that is just a tad thick for that pocket. It's good to have a Peanut back :)

Peanut by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and notice that the main blade is fairly straight when opened up, some of the ones I've owned before they were canted at quite an angle, this one has a little but is a lot straighter.

G2

Thanks Boss, this one is pretty hollow ground too so she really cuts well !
edited to say, it was sharpened free hand, I do things a bit different than most, I hold the stone in my left hand, pinched between my thumb and ring finger and hold the knife in my right hand, this way I can feel both the angle of the stone as well as the angle of attack of blades edge.
G2

Yes, I knew you sharpened freehand, so your edges impress me all the more! I’ll freehand some of my carbon steel blades on an Arkansas stone. I agree with you that stones have a “feel” and give feedback. But often I’m lazy, especially with stainless, and do most of my touching up with a Sharpmaker.

N3H1Bhc.jpg
Yep, my youngest is 15, but still likes to hang out with Dad. Took her to see Ant-Man movie yesterday, and next Saturday to the local gun show (to look at knives, mostly!).

I've very often thought of the peanut as a metaphor for many of life lessons
Thank you sir for the privilege of membership.
In keeping with the peanut being a metaphor for much in life I'd like to bring post#523 forward. It was my favorite.
post 523 - jackknife
"Some of it can be personal taste, aesthetics, and maybe some of it can be sheer logistics. Just like the ice cream place that has 31 flavors, we all respond to things a bit differently than the next guy. Just look at the Ford vs Chevy thing. Coke vs Pepsi. In my case, it's a bit of each case. I like the style, and I like the blade vs closed length ratio. The little peanut gives a lot of blade in a very small package. Being a life long back packer, I have long obsessed over the smallest piece of gear that will do what I need. How small can I go and still get it done? Small and light is good. Small pocket knives, small flashlights like my little Fenix E01, mini binoculars or monocular. Heck, I drove a VW bug for almost 30 years. My father and all my friends made fun of that car, but I explored a lot of Germany and Europe in it, took my future wife out in it, not too mention drop the kids at school in the morning, and commute to work in it for many years. Like a peanut, it may have been small, but it got the job done without fan fair.

And I guess I have to admit a bit of reverse snob appeal. I love using the peanut to cut most things I run into, and watch the young guys faces when this little 2 inch blade goes through and inch and a half line at the boat yard. It's like going squirrel hunting with a .22 rifle rather than a shotgun. Kind of a finesse thing.

And then there's the other thing about peanuts. If they get any attention at all, it's usually positive. Living on the Northern outskirts of Washington D.C., we do tend to go "downtown" pretty often. The little 'nut goes through security at most government buildings with no problem. The only comment it has received has been very positive. It's inoffensive. Of course, being in Texas as I type this, with prospect of moving here, that may become a moot point. Maybe.

The 'nut gives me a lot of cutting in a very small package, with lots of versatility. The thin main blade slices well, and the pen is actually more sturdy, serving as a reamer and punch if used with care. Like my old VW beetle, the peanut is capable of much more than most people would give it credit for. And being stylish while doing it.

So, there's many reasons I love the 'nut. But most of all, it just appeals to me on a deep level that I really can't describe. When leaving on my trip, I couldn't go out the door without it. Like the uncontrollable impulse, I had to go with my 'nut. It was like an old friend, and that is good enough for me." - jackknife

We are watching a movie wrapping up the last day of our little adventure. The peanut and I had a great time with the family just fishing and exploring a new place in our home state of Oklahoma.
b9U6XQd.jpg

The peanut taking a rest.
9rcigNE.jpg

Tomorrow is a six hour drive to the opposite corner of our great state that I call home.

and notice that the main blade is fairly straight when opened up, some of the ones I've owned before they were canted at quite an angle, this one has a little but is a lot straighter.

G2

I like them to be a bit canted more, it's much more easy to slice apples that way, for me at least, (or I got used that way) although even yours seems to be kind of a recurve, because of the shapes handle/blade, even if they are more straight in the back.

The peanut and the mystery behind it...

Last edited:
Back