Cult of the peanut , members

I purchased a peanut earlier this summer. I bought it in person and both blades are nicely centered. It was the first one I handled so I can't say if the others in stock were centered or not. Its a whiskey bone cv.

As far as Bear, I have medium stockman of theirs that I edc'd for many years. It's a good knife.

I like it so far, but I really haven't had a chance to use it. The blade is quite a bit thicker than the Case blades. I compared it to my only other Case knife, a Slimline Trapper, and the blade was about the same thickness if that helps. I started the 30 day challenge today and am carrying the Case Peanut as my only knife. It feels a bit strange the first time leaving my SAK and larger knives at home.

View attachment 975897

Those first 30 days may be a bit interesting... but the funny thing about the peanut is what has been said on here time and time again.

It’ll do most everything you need it to, including punching above it’s perceived ‘weight class.’

Because, as Carl so eloquently put it in many a post past: “It doesn’t have to be big, it just has to be sharp.”

I started the 30 day challenge today and am carrying the Case Peanut as my only knife. It feels a bit strange the first time leaving my SAK and larger knives at home.

View attachment 975897

Paul, you are going to go through just what I did when I became an admirer of the mighty legume. Some years after my dad passed away, I set out to see if I could do what he did; exist with a small pocket knife. I had spent my whole life with full size pocket knives like scout knives, stockman knives, a few folding hunters, and a selection of sodbusters.

At first I carried the 'nut in conjunction with my 'other' knives, but then one day, I don't know if it was my dad's ghost standing in back of me or what, but I felt the urge to just drop the little legume in my watch pocket and walk out the door. I had a long moment of fierce torn feelings but it did it.

Nothing happened.

The world kept on spinning in it's axis, the sun still rose in the east, and the little peanut cut everything I needed to cut in my life in the wilds of American suburbia. It cut twine, opened boxes, cut a snack of stuff in the fridge quick, cut fishing line, cut bait, and cleaned my nails. I found out what my dad had preached to me his whole life; it didn't really have to big, just sharp.

The peanut was not only a game changer for me knife wise, but a lesson in how much we really don't need. Like my dad ands old Colt Woodsman. That man did all his shooting with that flat little .22 pistol. Like the peanut, it always got it done.

I like it so far, but I really haven't had a chance to use it. The blade is quite a bit thicker than the Case blades. I compared it to my only other Case knife, a Slimline Trapper, and the blade was about the same thickness if that helps. I started the 30 day challenge today and am carrying the Case Peanut as my only knife. It feels a bit strange the first time leaving my SAK and larger knives at home.

View attachment 975897
Even as a Peanut fan I find that hard to do sometimes but, most days, it is perfectly sufficient as the only knife to carry. Having said that, I don't work on a farm or a ranch or orchard or anything like that where I would definitely want a bigger knife with me. I work in an office and clean room environment so minimal is best. Outside of work and at home I often carry a bigger knife and keep a Peanut in my change pocket. I will be curious how your experiment goes :)

Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted on the challenge. I'm retired, so my knives don't get used as much as many in this forum. All my knives are traditional. I grew up in the country in northern California and my father always carried a small pen knife and liked the traditional wood stocked guns and single action revolvers, so I guess I picked it up from him. I learned to shoot at age 8 and hunt at age 12 (which was the minimum age for a hunting license then in California). My father never locked up his guns, because there was no need. From a young age, my brother and I knew they were not toys and to never point them at anything you didn't want to shoot.

80BBGG1.jpg

Hard at work.

I recently picked up this A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut in mammoth ivory (the same model that @Peregrin has posted about previously); it hasn't left my pocket since I got it! All stainless liners, (integral) bolsters, and pins with VG10 blades. I love the Wharncliffe secondary. Good fit and finish. The ivory has a really beautiful subtle grain to it, which (as usual, given my lack of photography skills) I couldn't capture well. An all-around nice, useful knife.

View attachment 969310

Love that Peanut wow great secondary blade. As much as I love Peanuts I basically never use the pen blade so I either yearn for single blade versions or something more useful for a secondary.

I go back and forth about these Peanuts some time I love them other times I feel they are too light for my pocket. A 34OT Stockman or Jack sized knifes are more comfortable though I did carry one for 30 days straight!

The peanut has the ability to get missed, you know...:D

I recently acquired my 3rd peanut and hopefully this one takes. The two I had in the past saw minimal pocket time and then got traded off or given away for someone else to enjoy. I started reading this thread again and decided I needed another one! I'm going to try really hard to give this one a honest go of it. I'm on week three and so far enjoying it, but I have not been exclusive to it. Sometimes the GEC Bullnose or (cover your eyes) a Spyderco gets tossed in for the day. But it's with me today and I love the way it disappears in my pocket....it's pretty to look at too.

a9ck9JY.jpg

I recently acquired my 3rd peanut and hopefully this one takes. The two I had in the past saw minimal pocket time and then got traded off or given away for someone else to enjoy. I started reading this thread again and decided I needed another one! I'm going to try really hard to give this one a honest go of it. I'm on week three and so far enjoying it, but I have not been exclusive to it. Sometimes the GEC Bullnose or (cover your eyes) a Spyderco gets tossed in for the day. But it's with me today and I love the way it disappears in my pocket....it's pretty to look at too.

a9ck9JY.jpg

That is the true beauty of the peanut; the way it literally disappears in the pocket. It's in the class of knives like the Buck 309, Boker 240, Victorinox classic, and the rest of the little generic "pen knives" that you can drop in a pocket and really forget about it until you need a knife to cut something. Like my dad said, a pocket knife is something carried a lot but used a little now and then. For most non knife people, the answer has always been a small/tiny little knife that will still do the job of opening boxes, plastic packaging/wrapping, cut string or cord of any kind, snack duty, but not noticeable when not needed.

The only way to really appreciate the peanut is, you have to commit to a period of carrying it as your sole EDC. No other knife on you, and go cold turkey for a week or two as an experiment. In most urban/suburban environments I've very rarely needed more knife than the legendary legume.

I guess I should post this in the Cult Of The Peanut thread since it involves the legume, but I don't now if it's also crossing over into the realm of traditional knives main forum.

In 2006, when my grandson Ryan was 10 years old I gave him a yellow peanut with CV blades. He carried that peanut for man-years, up to now. He never carried it to school and was careful. Now he's a 22 year old college grad employed in the computer internet security field making very good money. He's engaged to a very lovely Japanese American girl he met on the job and like him, she's an internet security whiz kid. These are the kids that as teens they were able to breach security firewalls like Childs play.

To this day, Ryan does love to fish, and his life in California gives him lots of opportunity to trout fish in the Sierra Nevada mountains and salt water fish in the Pacific Ocean. His knife that he always has on him is the peanut. His old yellow CV is badly worn, and he got a stainless yellow for his fishing duties. That's it. A Case peanut. Ryan is one of those rare non knife person knife nuts that know a sharp knife in the pocket is a good thing, but he's not "into" knives per se. He's into the peanut because was the first knife his old grandpa, me, got him. He actually doesn't own any other knife to carry but a Case peanut in either worn old CV or the newer stainless.

His other pocket knives/tools are a Leatheman micra and a Leatherman squirt for the small tools that he finds handy working on stuff I can't even fathom. For whatever freak chance of genes, Ryan takes apart and puts back togher all those techno things that people spend on now like Iphones, lap tops, IPads and whatever. Whiz kid.

But this whiz kid boy genius, excuse me, young man genius's pick of dedicated knife as a pure cutting tool to have in his watch pocket is the Case peanut. It was his first pocket knife, but also his only pocket knife since his old grandpa gave to him on the back of a Maryland lake back in 2006. When I asked him if he looked at otters knives consider buying, like a modern one hander, he asked me back "Why? The little peanut fits my watch pocket and I'm never bothered by it, and it cuts whatever I need to cut. If I'm gong to be doing something really grundgy, I'll use the micra and just spray it down with WD40 to clean it if I need to. "

So, there is it; my grandson Ryan is a non knife person, and carries two small Leatherman tools for his uses. But for sheer cutting, he's still sold on the little legume he's had since he was 10 years old. Very much the same choice my dad made as a non knife person who found the little two blade jack good enough to go down the road with.

True words of wisdom, for us, legume lovers.

That is the true beauty of the peanut; the way it literally disappears in the pocket. It's in the class of knives like the Buck 309, Boker 240, Victorinox classic, and the rest of the little generic "pen knives" that you can drop in a pocket and really forget about it until you need a knife to cut something. Like my dad said, a pocket knife is something carried a lot but used a little now and then. For most non knife people, the answer has always been a small/tiny little knife that will still do the job of opening boxes, plastic packaging/wrapping, cut string or cord of any kind, snack duty, but not noticeable when not needed.

The only way to really appreciate the peanut is, you have to commit to a period of carrying it as your sole EDC. No other knife on you, and go cold turkey for a week or two as an experiment. In most urban/suburban environments I've very rarely needed more knife than the legendary legume.

Nicely done, Carl, nicely done. Congrats on a fine grandson.

I guess I should post this in the Cult Of The Peanut thread since it involves the legume, but I don't now if it's also crossing over into the realm of traditional knives main forum.

In 2006, when my grandson Ryan was 10 years old I gave him a yellow peanut with CV blades. He carried that peanut for man-years, up to now. He never carried it to school and was careful. Now he's a 22 year old college grad employed in the computer internet security field making very good money. He's engaged to a very lovely Japanese American girl he met on the job and like him, she's an internet security whiz kid. These are the kids that as teens they were able to breach security firewalls like Childs play.

To this day, Ryan does love to fish, and his life in California gives him lots of opportunity to trout fish in the Sierra Nevada mountains and salt water fish in the Pacific Ocean. His knife that he always has on him is the peanut. His old yellow CV is badly worn, and he got a stainless yellow for his fishing duties. That's it. A Case peanut. Ryan is one of those rare non knife person knife nuts that know a sharp knife in the pocket is a good thing, but he's not "into" knives per se. He's into the peanut because was the first knife his old grandpa, me, got him. He actually doesn't own any other knife to carry but a Case peanut in either worn old CV or the newer stainless.

His other pocket knives/tools are a Leatheman micra and a Leatherman squirt for the small tools that he finds handy working on stuff I can't even fathom. For whatever freak chance of genes, Ryan takes apart and puts back togher all those techno things that people spend on now like Iphones, lap tops, IPads and whatever. Whiz kid.

But this whiz kid boy genius, excuse me, young man genius's pick of dedicated knife as a pure cutting tool to have in his watch pocket is the Case peanut. It was his first pocket knife, but also his only pocket knife since his old grandpa gave to him on the back of a Maryland lake back in 2006. When I asked him if he looked at otters knives consider buying, like a modern one hander, he asked me back "Why? The little peanut fits my watch pocket and I'm never bothered by it, and it cuts whatever I need to cut. If I'm gong to be doing something really grundgy, I'll use the micra and just spray it down with WD40 to clean it if I need to. "

So, there is it; my grandson Ryan is a non knife person, and carries two small Leatherman tools for his uses. But for sheer cutting, he's still sold on the little legume he's had since he was 10 years old. Very much the same choice my dad made as a non knife person who found the little two blade jack good enough to go down the road with.

Such true words about the mighty little peanut. Thank you for the reminder to all of us that a little sharp blade is all we need. It is a philosophy I am trying to hand down to my son. He has a few knives I have given him but his favorite is the peanut. It was the first knife I gave him and I know at his age he wants to be like dad. He sees me use my mighty little peanut for everything.

Such true words about the mighty little peanut. Thank you for the reminder to all of us that a little sharp blade is all we need. It is a philosophy I am trying to hand down to my son. He has a few knives I have given him but his favorite is the peanut. It was the first knife I gave him and I know at his age he wants to be like dad. He sees me use my mighty little peanut for everything.

Good job TrapperMike.
Little, sharp, all we really need, as Carl said. A book can be easily written on this philosophy, I'm sure of that.

Back