Cult of the peanut , members

I'm thinking of petitioning Case to rename "Harvest Orange" to "Autumn Sassafras Leaf". They share a lot of the same colors!

:p:D:rolleyes::confused::cool:

45733479881_5389f9c910_b.jpg

How is everyone? I'm still carrying the same burnt amber nut I've been showing. What's everyone else carrying?
I'm in the middle of the break-in process of the AGR Pinched Peanut and there's a lot of learning, adjusting and setting the right edgegeometry for my kind of use.
So far so good.
The VG-10 steel shows very high resistance to wear and this was one of the main reasons for me to get this one.
The Peanut doesn't replace my regular working knives, wich are a lam. Mora and a Leatherman Charge, but it does all the small chores in a great style.

Regards
Mikael

Hello you Nutty Folks!
Since reentering back into the family, the slope was steep and I have been acquiring a few more to the collection. Thought I'd do some show and tell of my modest legume collection...
[from bottom to top]
(4) Case Peanuts; Tan Micarta, CV Yeller, 1979 “one dot” Jigged Delrin, Barehead Prime Vintage Stag. (2) Schrade Peanuts; Dyed Sambar Stag & Ram’s Horn.
v2uxQbil.jpg

Last edited:
Mikael W Mikael W - what have you learned and adjusted? Did you thin or reprofile the blades?

Maybe they have differences that count in actual use, like a different spine angle as it meets the handle, (peanut that looks like an U) different edge shape, and so on.
You can get used with a knife so much, that another one, after years, seems to be a very different knife, even due to minor differences.

Mikael W Mikael W - what have you learned and adjusted? Did you thin or reprofile the blades?

The twoblade AGR Peanut is a new to me type of folder. One of the first things I learned was the usefulness of the small Wharncliffe blade.
I'm not a fan of the Wharncliffe type, but as a short secondary blade on the Peanut I find it to blend in well with the overall design.
Another thing is the necessity to hold on tight to the handle, or this small knife can easily slip out of the hand.
It has no halfstop like my Camillus and I like the smooth operation more than a halfstop.

I have adjusted the edgegeometry to a more convex edge by working on the shoulders and the blades now work a lot better on wood.
I intend to give the edges an allround convex geometry that will still support the steel in edgeholding, but will cut with lesser resitance than the factory bevel.
A flaw was a pin in the scales that was not peened on the inside of the liner and this created a tiny gap.
I fixed it by lifting the scale with a very thin scalpel and filled the gap with superglue + pressed it back in place.

So far I'm very pleased with the heat-treatment of the VG-10 steel at RC 61, as it makes the steel very wear-resistant.
I admit that it's not as easy to sharpen as a softer steel, but I use the Fällkniven DC4 and CC4 stones and they work well on any steel.
I also like the high precision between the blades and the backsprings as the joints are almost invisible.

I'm still in the learning phase of the AGR Peanut and for me this can take around 6 months or more before I know if it's a go or a no.
The result will most likely be a go, but it's too early to give a final verdict.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Maybe they have differences that count in actual use, like a different spine angle as it meets the handle, (peanut that looks like an U) different edge shape, and so on.
You can get used with a knife so much, that another one, after years, seems to be a very different knife, even due to minor differences.

Absolutely true!
Two identical knives can easily develop different qualitys, depending on how they are maintained and tuned over time.

Regards
Mikael

Hello you Nutty Folks!
Since reentering back into the family, the slope was steep and I have been acquiring a few more to the collection. Thought I'd do some show and tell of my modest legume collection...
[from bottom to top]
(4) Case Peanuts; Tan Micarta, CV Yeller, 1979 “one dot” Jigged Delrin, Barehead Prime Vintage Stag. (2) Schrade Peanuts; Dyed Sambar Stag & Ram’s Horn.
v2uxQbil.jpg
Modest??
I would say a very nice grouping there!!:thumbsup:

Back