Cult of the peanut , members

I had a case select peanut in candy stripe acrylic for years and foolishly sold it to a member that had been on the hunt for one for some time.

I've regretted it ever since. Perusing the bay the other day I stumbled across this recent release and HAD to have it. Way overpaid but this is close to "my prescious" level of desire....only a long pull could have put it over the top.

Probably the snappiest peanut I've owned and I've had a bunch over the years. Half stops on both blades and I love the raindrop Damascus.

BUKsQRd.jpg

And as a memorial to the old select:

Today, my very first Case Peanut arrived in the mail. I’ve been on a quest to downsize my edc, and as such have gone from a Leatherman Skeletool CX, to a Spyderco military, to an old trapper, and as of recently to a SAK executive. I’m tempted to try the peanut as my main knife, maybe in addition to a small Leatherman so I still have the screwdrivers

What say you? Should I start my journey into the mythical world of the Case Peanut?

Today, my very first Case Peanut arrived in the mail. I’ve been on a quest to downsize my edc, and as such have gone from a Leatherman Skeletool CX, to a Spyderco military, to an old trapper, and as of recently to a SAK executive. I’m tempted to try the peanut as my main knife, maybe in addition to a small Leatherman so I still have the screwdrivers

What say you? Should I start my journey into the mythical world of the Case Peanut?

You're going to love the peanut. It's like the mighty legume that can get it done. Veeeery under estimated pocket knife. In my knife nut days, I carried a peanut for years with no problem. If the peanut can't do it, then another inch of blade won't either, and its time for a much larger knife or a fixed blade.

If I needed a flat or Phillips driver or can opener, I had the old Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver and my old army issue P-38 in the zipper compartment of my wallet. The peanut and the keychain screwdriver and P-38 did everything in a very old school kind of way. For all the years growing up in the 1950's, I saw my dad getting by with just that combo. In just the last few years I've given the little Victorinox Quatro a second chance and it's replaced the Sear's 4-way screw driver in my wallet. It has better formed Phillips driver bits than the old Sears that is primarily a flat screw driver.

If you have doubts the mighty legume is too small, think about this; on most the job site and construction zones in the U.S., most of the really hard use cutting is done by the humble Stanley 99, or one of the modern clones of it. All of a one inch blade, about the thickness of two razor blades. A peanut can open bags of mulch, bags of cement, cut all kinds of twine/rope/string, cut off the spout of a tube of caulking, open plastic blister packages, mail, UPS boxes, and make the best hot dog roasting sticks for the grandkids. My grandson Ryan became a peanut fan at age 8, and now he's a college guy and a strapping 6 foot tall brown belt in Krav Maga and can dribble me down the sidewalk like a basket ball. He still carries the yellow CV peanut I gave him so many years ago. For dress occasions he had a chestnut CV peanut.

BUT... The mighty legume can only be truly appreciated by going cold turkey and making it a point just from the peanut in your pocket and go out the door and about your day. You will find that carrying just the peanut, the world will still be rotating onto axes, the sun will still rise in the east, and the day will end with nightfall, and the peanut will cut what you need.

Go for it, Panther!

If I wasn't so plagued by arthritis in my fingers, I'd still be carrying a peanut. But the stiffly sprung little knife with half stops is just a bit much of rme, so my EDC bow is a Victorinox executive that is easy to open and deal with. But I miss my legume and if I could, I'd still be carrying it. Imay be packing a SAK, bu toy heart will always be with The Cult that I loved as much as the legume itself.

Carl, Grand High Muckba Of The Cult, (Retired)

jackknife i can help you there my friend. Get yourself a jigged bone Rough Rider Peanut. $6US i paid for mine, i also have hand issues, opens like a dream, and a better fit than some of my Case knifes. Get yourself one.

Absolutely you should!

Yup. It is true. I have carried a peanut, and 99% of the time it is all the knife I need. But that is not the point. I like knives, find them interesting. A lot of different knives appeal to me. So I carry a few, admittedly way more than i need, because I can.

The peanut is a great knife, capable of anything I need in a knife. I just bought another one (my third) a couple months ago, and carried only it for a few weeks with no issues. It was meant to be my one and only, as I found a nice one that I was very happy with. Unfortunately I get too easily distracted by other shiny sharp objects, but it still rides with me everyday in my watch pocket.
G1oSSwB.jpg

Yup. It is true. I have carried a peanut, and 99% of the time it is all the knife I need. But that is not the point. I like knives, find them interesting. A lot of different knives appeal to me. So I carry a few, admittedly way more than i need, because I can.
That my friend is something we are all guilty of!!!

Well, y’all have convinced me. I think the “If peanut can’t do it, you need a fixed blade” mentality rings true.

J jackknife I like the idea of one of those keychain screwdrivers. That would allow me to ditch the Leatherman and I already have a p38 on my keys and at least one in each of my packs and toolboxes.

I accept this noble mission! I’m going on a small road trip into the desert over the weekend and the peanut shall accompany me as my sole carry knife. (Ok I always keep an esee 4 under the driver seat of my pickup, but that’s not something I usually carry unless I’m going deep into the woods)

If I manage to survive with only the peanut, I shall report my success

Well, y’all have convinced me. I think the “If peanut can’t do it, you need a fixed blade” mentality rings true.

J jackknife I like the idea of one of those keychain screwdrivers. That would allow me to ditch the Leatherman and I already have a p38 on my keys and at least one in each of my packs and toolboxes.

I accept this noble mission! I’m going on a small road trip into the desert over the weekend and the peanut shall accompany me as my sole carry knife. (Ok I always keep an esee 4 under the driver seat of my pickup, but that’s not something I usually carry unless I’m going deep into the woods)

If I manage to survive with only the peanut, I shall report my success

My peanut was usually teemed up with my old standby, the Buck 102 when I went boon docking. A small machete was in back the truck seat.

Now with the Vic executive as my EDC, I still carry the Buck woodsman on my hip when fishing the banks of the river, or hiking on a traii someplace. The fixed blade is for what the peanut can't handle.

I watched my dad EDC a peanut all the time, but he had a cut down English machete in the car truck with a 9 1/2 inch sheep foot blade that was a pretty good brush knife and kindling chopper. But in town, his legume did it all.

Pin up a Victorinox quarto and put it in your wallet. That will give you screw driving capability and small paint/putty/spackle can opening. And the P-38 or quarto can be used to pop off a beer cap by lightly prying the cap off by working your way around the top. It doesn't take much to bend the soft material of a beer cap, and I usually had it loose enough to pop off with my thumb by the time I've made 3 or 4 bending prying steps around the cap. I've even used a house key with good effects.

Leatherman? We don't need no steenkin Leatherman!:D

Last edited:
8fzj.jpg

First day with only the Peanut. I won’t lie, I still feel under knifed, but the peanut has done everything I’ve asked of it. It’s opened a few packages, did a little bit of light duty carving to replace a stake for a solar light in the garden. It’s starting to grow on me the more I use it

The more you do the total immersion the more it will grow on you. The truth is, in modern suburban life, aside form kitchen and food duty, theres not that much need for a blade more than the 'nut. Look at all the heavy duty jobs done by the humble cheap utility knives and box cutters. An inch of thin blade.

There's an adjustment period to go through, but it passes. In about a month or two, you'll put a bigger knife in the pocket and it will be a ridiculous brick to you. The mighty legume is freedom in a way. It's maximum minimalism.

Leave a nice sturdy fixed blade under the car seat for the bigger unexpected things, and you'll be fine. With a P-38 and a quatro in your wallet, and the peanut in your pocket, you're set to take on life.

Leave a nice sturdy fixed blade under the car seat for the bigger unexpected things, and you'll be fine. With a P-38 and a quatro in your wallet, and the peanut in your pocket, you're set to take on life.

I’m pretty confident about my sheath knife set up. I keep this in the center console of my pickup truck for both emergencies and as a general use knife when I go deep into the woods.
8g0d.jpg

My peanut has been in my pocket everyday for just over 2 1\2 years now. My kids gave it to me for Christmas. Its nothing fancy. Just a simple brown delrin version, but it is my precious. It has been a great companion. Earlier this year i took the plunge and made it the only lnife i carry. It has been just fine for all my cutting tasks. Here we are today grilling a couple ribeyes. The peanut cut the limes i used to rub on the steaks.
mEpVVGv.jpg

Mike, even the brown Delrin looks great. The brass pins and liners, along with the classic Peanut curves, still make those a great looking knife.

Mike, even the brown Delrin looks great. The brass pins and liners, along with the classic Peanut curves, still make those a great looking knife.
I love it. It does remind me of what i remember most men carried when i grew up. They carried delrin handled bucks and old timer knives. My little brown has held up well. I like the way it is ageing also. The jigging is smoothing out and the brass is darkening. Love it.

Back