Cult of the peanut , members

Hey guys!

My 93 year old great grandfather still carries his little knife daily as he putters in his wood/metal-working shop. We got talking knives a few years ago and I (finally) realized that the knife he has EDCed all these years was a blue-greenish stag case peanut. I have since had my eye on one... and, as of this morning, I too now have a Case peanut in red bone CV. (I will see if I can get some images attached)

sECLotw.jpg

Anyway, so far I LOVE my new knife except one thing:

The tip of the clip blade has a small warp in the metal that bends towards the right (if looking from the spine). The tip rubs on the brass and also pokes out a bit. I worry about it catching on threads in my pocket.
(See images)

bR4xuXl.jpg

gtsbYVv.jpg

Do you guys have any quick fixes to kinda somewhat straighten a bent/warped blade? (I have tried gently using a vise)

I don’t want to get too crazy with this project (ie drilling out brass and dismantling the knife).

All suggestions are greatly appreciated:)

Thanks in advance too!!

Here are some extra pics in case anyone was interested:)

2PukB5I.jpg

V82xDIV.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys!

My 93 year old great grandfather still carries his little knife daily as he putters in his wood/metal-working shop. We got talking knives a few years ago and I (finally) realized that the knife he has EDCed all these years was a blue-greenish stag case peanut. I have since had my eye on one... and, as of this morning, I too now have a Case peanut - red bone CV. (I will see if I can get some images attached)

The tip of the clip blade has a small warp in the metal that bends towards the right (if looking from the spine). The tip rubs on the brass and also pokes out a bit. I worry about it catching on threads in my pocket.
(See images)

Do you guys have any quick fixes to kinda somewhat straighten a bent/warped blade? (I have tried gently using a vise)

I don’t want to get too crazy with this project (ie drilling out brass and dismantling the knife).

Thanks in advance too!!
I can't see your pics, but I suggest you contact Case. I had a problem with a Case once and sent them an email asking about it. They sent me a mailing label, fixed the knife and returned it to me at no cost to me.
Welcome to the cult :thumbsup:

Another option. I made myself a little knife pouch out of leather 30 years ago for my peanut, both still going strong. Go to a leather store, eg Tandy, or boot repair shop, or you might have an old pair of gloves at home. All you need is soft, pliable leather about 2 inches wide x 4 inches high. Fold it over to make a pouch, glue the edges. When dry, put some holes in the edge all the way around, and stitch it with some thin leather strap, and tie off the ends. Looks good and keeps the knife in good condition.

I also meant to say, cut the leather to the length of your knife, so it just slips in.:thumbsup:

Hey guys!

My 93 year old great grandfather still carries his little knife daily as he putters in his wood/metal-working shop. We got talking knives a few years ago and I (finally) realized that the knife he has EDCed all these years was a blue-greenish stag case peanut. I have since had my eye on one... and, as of this morning, I too now have a Case peanut in red bone CV. (I will see if I can get some images attached)

sECLotw.jpg

(See images)

bR4xuXl.jpg

gtsbYVv.jpg

Thanks in advance too!!

2PukB5I.jpg

V82xDIV.jpg
Your peanut has a really nice dye job, I would just send it to Case for repair. You should of snapped a picture of your great grandfathers peanut. I would of loved to see it!

Hey guys!

sECLotw.jpg

(See images)

bR4xuXl.jpg

gtsbYVv.jpg

Thanks in advance too!!

2PukB5I.jpg

V82xDIV.jpg

That blade is definitely warped in heat treatment. I wouldn't hesitate to send it back to Case. They're a great company and will make it right.

D1F6F92A-F6DC-49F1-8572-C7BBDE74ABC6.jpeg
I was in Savannah for a wedding on Friday and happened to pull out my peanut in front of my uncle. He coon finger and chicken eyed it for a minute and commented that my grandfather always carried a very similar knife. It was pretty cool to learn my grandfather carried a small peanut/pen knife, he died when I was very young. I know my other papa favored the small classic Swiss Army knife as he always had one in his pocket ( I edc one of those too on my keychain). I guess great minds think alike ;)

I throw myself onto the mercy of the community! Hear this tale and learn from my mistake. The peanut is an amazing knife if you use it as intended.

I brought my new Case peanut with me on a small road trip, it excelled at all of my small cutting tasks along the way, opening food packages and cutting rope. It had made an escape attempt when it was hiding in my pocket while I jumped into the lake, but luckily I retrieved it before it could wander. Alas, the young peanut met its untimely fate the very next day. In a fruitless attempt to help an un-corkscrew-toting cousin open a bottle of wine, the main blade snapped. Now my new peanut is almost unusable as the tang of the broken blade digs into your hand when trying to use the smaller pen blade.

While I admit “some” beer was involved in this incident, perhaps this is a prime example of why a mora companion is my dedicated “drinking knife”.

I beg for forgiveness. I loved the way the Case Peanut was doing before this shenanigan. I carried my old Buck 110 that I usually keep in my truck for the rest of the vacation. The heavy Buck felt like a brink in my pocket after having carried the peanut for a week or so. Let it be known through the land that a Case Peanut is NOT a corkscrew.

I throw myself onto the mercy of the community! Hear this tale and learn from my mistake. The peanut is an amazing knife if you use it as intended.

I brought my new Case peanut with me on a small road trip, it excelled at all of my small cutting tasks along the way, opening food packages and cutting rope. It had made an escape attempt when it was hiding in my pocket while I jumped into the lake, but luckily I retrieved it before it could wander. Alas, the young peanut met its untimely fate the very next day. In a fruitless attempt to help an un-corkscrew-toting cousin open a bottle of wine, the main blade snapped. Now my new peanut is almost unusable as the tang of the broken blade digs into your hand when trying to use the smaller pen blade.

While I admit “some” beer was involved in this incident, perhaps this is a prime example of why a mora companion is my dedicated “drinking knife”.

I beg for forgiveness. I loved the way the Case Peanut was doing before this shenanigan. I carried my old Buck 110 that I usually keep in my truck for the rest of the vacation. The heavy Buck felt like a brink in my pocket after having carried the peanut for a week or so. Let it be known through the land that a Case Peanut is NOT a corkscrew.
hBu4oCv.jpg

And there endeth the lesson!!!

Let's also learn to always carry a corkscrew.

Last edited:

The jury is still out, but I suspect the verdict will be to rush out and purchase another Peanut at the first available.

View attachment 1162083
I was in Savannah for a wedding on Friday and happened to pull out my peanut in front of my uncle. He coon finger and chicken eyed it for a minute and commented that my grandfather always carried a very similar knife. It was pretty cool to learn my grandfather carried a small peanut/pen knife, he died when I was very young. I know my other papa favored the small classic Swiss Army knife as he always had one in his pocket ( I edc one of those too on my keychain). I guess great minds think alike ;)

Our grandfathers were smarter than we were. The one lucky thing is, if we live long enough, sometimes we will learn to be as smart as them.

If we're lucky.

Thus the real penalty of misuse of a good tool is destruction. If you have learned from the experience, then the peanut did not die in vain. Nexttime you have a bottle of wine and no corkscrew, just use a stick to push the cork all the down through the neck of the bottle and drink up. The cork will float out of the way when the bottle is tilted to pour.

Or, have a SAK with a cork screw around someplace close.

Back