Cult of the peanut , members

I have a bunch of Spydercos and other modern pocket knives, but these are the only ones I actually carry and need. They do the jobs I need just fine. And they are also simple and beautiful.

gGaxtAy.jpg

I was able to add an AG Russell Pinched Peanut in gorgeous stag to my expanding nut collection. I think this one has even better action than my mammoth version. I can tell already that this knife will be seeing a lot of shirt and vest pocket time in the future.
63EABA83-C08F-4063-8FF5-298009666B7E.jpeg

View attachment 1013882
The peanuts are very elegant designs compared with my other small alternatives.
A combo of the AGR + the Ps4 will be my choice of minimalist tools.

IMGP6518.JPG

It's almost a year since I got the AGR Pinched Peanut and it's time for some thoughts.
I had to stop carrying the knife during the summer, due to forgetting it in the pocket before laundry.
When I found it in the washing machine, the scales had separated from the liners.
I didn't have the time to fix it until recently, so I put it aside for repair.
However, I missed it too much and now the scales are reglued and it is back in service.

As I thought in my earlier post from november 3 2018, it would be the Ps4 and the AGR to put in my pockets, when off work. This has worked well and the pliers on the Ps4 are a lot stronger than my fingers when pinching. The VG-10 blades hold an edge for very long at this hardness and to date, there are no need to resharpen them.

The Walk & Talk of the AGR reveals the buildquality. Opening & closing takes a tiny bit more effort than the Ps4, but the smoother action makes it easier to operate.
A great advantage is the low weight, compared with my regular work knives a Mora plus a fullsize LM charge. I tend to leave them more and more at the bench in favor of the smalls.
So, I think I'm slowly starting to be a convert towards the smaller tools for pocketcarry.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Mikael W, post: 19291265, member: 200262". (snip)
As I thought in my earlier post from november 3 2018, it would be the Ps4 and the AGR to put in my pockets, when off work. This has worked well and the pliers on the Ps4 are a lot stronger than my fingers when pinching. The VG-10 blades hold an edge for very long at this hardness and to date, there are no need to resharpen them.

A great advantage is the low weight, compared with my regular work knives a Mora plus a fullsize LM charge. I tend to leave them more and more at the bench in favor of the smalls.
So, I think I'm slowly starting to be a convert towards the smaller tools for pocketcarry.

Regards
Mikael[/QUOTE]

Mikael, as a die hard fan of the small things in life, I can assure you that you will enjoy the smaller tools for pocket carry. I'm hard headed by nature, and it took while for me to trust walking out the door with just a peanut as my cutting tool of the day, but eventually I did. Now, I can't even begin to think of going to a full size pocket knife again.

Try this experiment; put the Victorinox classic in your pocket and make it a point to carry just that for one week. Just one short week. I'm betting that you will find you not only survived, but got by very well. Then the peanut will seem like a large knife by comparison.

For quite a while now a 58mm or 74mm SAK and a Leatherman squirt has been my EDC. I haven't died, Haven't found myself suffering any dire consequences because of a lack a large blade. In fact. with such small tools, I have room in my pockets for other stuff I fond useful in the course of my day. How many people go through their day with not any kind knife on them at all? They live through it. A classic will 98% of what you do. A squirt and peanut combo will do 99.9%.

Anyone know of a place that photographs individual knives. Sure would like to get a well colored cv chestnut peanut.

Not likely since they are so cheap and plentiful. Had to ask.

Last edited:
Carl, You are my main influencer in going smaller.
I have tried the Sak Manager in my pic above for many different jobs, but I find the Ps4 being more rigid when putting full pressure into a cut.
So the Sak has been gifted to one of the girls. Her mother fell in love with my first Manager, so that one is gone too. It's on her keyring now. My first Ps4 caught the fancy of our youngest daughter and it's now on HER keyring.

That leaves the Ps4 to me and as I'm using the pliers quite often, I don't leave home without it.
The peanut fullfills the role of a fancy penfolder that speaks to the knifenut in me.
The wharncliff penblade is good in woodcarving. The pointy mainblade works well on splinters in my fingers, food, packages, letteropening and not to forget those hard blisterpacks.

I can manage with the Ps4 only, but the combo is more fun.

If I need to take real slices out of a piece of wood and still want to go small, I pick the black U4 to the left in my pic.
It has a cutting power that is unexpected in such a small and light package.
However, the AGR peanut has so much more of beauty and feel to it, so it's an easy choice for a traditionalist like me.

Regards
Mikael

@mikael,

Yeah, once you get used to having a squirt in your pocket, it seems soooo hard to not carry it. I hate to say it, as a knife nut and former peanut grand high muck, if someone held a gun one me and told me I had just one choice to carry, it would be the squirt.

I love my small SAK's, but the small Leatherman is just such a bombproof little tool and has versatility that the small SAK's can't match. And I hate to admit it, but I think I've fallen in love with the chisel grind on the squirt. I went out and bought a Victorinox florist knife to experiment, and holly shite!:eek: That knife cuts like a freshly sharpened Opinel, maybe better. Very thin chisel grind. Keep VERY good track on where your fingers are!

I can't think of a better combo than that Russell peanut and a squirt. A pocket size combination of beauty and the beast.:D

@mikael,

Yeah, once you get used to having a squirt in your pocket, it seems soooo hard to not carry it. I hate to say it, as a knife nut and former peanut grand high muck, if someone held a gun one me and told me I had just one choice to carry, it would be the squirt.

I love my small SAK's, but the small Leatherman is just such a bombproof little tool and has versatility that the small SAK's can't match. And I hate to admit it, but I think I've fallen in love with the chisel grind on the squirt. I went out and bought a Victorinox florist knife to experiment, and holly shite!:eek: That knife cuts like a freshly sharpened Opinel, maybe better. Very thin chisel grind. Keep VERY good track on where your fingers are!

I can't think of a better combo than that Russell peanut and a squirt. A pocket size combination of beauty and the beast.:D

Carl,
Personally I try the best I can to avoid being held to a gunpoint :eek:, but I agree about the Squirt. For a minimalistic pocket-tool the Squirt is hard to beat.
About the Vic Florist, I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm around a store selling them.

Now, it is great to hear from the Grand High Muckba (emeritus) himself, that this combo is approved! :thumbsup:
May I now formally apply for a membership in the Cult of the Peanut?

IMGP6548.JPG

BTW, if You ever try out the AGR peanut I think You will find it easier than the Squirt, to open and close because of the smooth action and ergonomics. ;)

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
My fellow Cult members, I have a request...

I'm looking to gift a peanut to the lovely woman who said yes to a life sentence with yours truly a few months back (she loves that I gift her stuff she uses instead of flowers... found a keeper ladies and gents!) And have a particular idea in mind.

I'm requesting any input on how to attach a bail to a stock peanut so as to put a little chain on it, so it doesn't get lost in the endless depths of said better half's purse, as that would be GREATLY appreciated by the both of us! (She doesn't know yet... shh!)

Like I said, any input would be immensely appreciated!

-J
As has been stated, much easier to just buy one with a bail already. There are a few versions available including jigged bone and MOP. I can help you with this if you want...just reach out :thumbsup: I even have an extra chain for you ;)

So many nice knives. I really wish Case would stop angling the blades downward. Totally ruins them for me. I have a large stockman in green pocket worn that's gorgeous, but I don't use it because of this. It looks bad, and I feel like if I'm poking something, the blade will close on me. I'm not stupid. I could hold it differently. I just hate it. They have so many nice knives, but I won't buy because of this. Am I the only one?

Back