Cult of the peanut , members

I visited the big knife store in Sevierville TN yesterday. Almost bought another peanut. I noticed they have what I think are GEC 62's... a bit expensive perhaps. but peanut sized and the first time observed a GEC that was peanut sized. I think they are calling it a pen knife versus peanut. Can anyone tell me something about this knife?

Added: I checked GEC's web site and I believe it's the Pemberton (2.75" closed). The size is right as is the hardware. I haven't been paying attention to every release or my attention is sporadic.

Last edited:
I"ve taken a liking to the slim single blade Case peanuts (the double blade ones just seem to wide for the length of the knife ....)
4LsQmPj.jpg
Very nice...love the single blade variety.

Wow, waverave, that's a sweet looking peanut. And it started out pink? So, did you just dip a q-tip in dye and paint the handle scales? What dye did you use? Also, please elaborate on the chain use. Is that a belt clip, and can you mainly use the knife still attached?

I assume you helped out jofalltrades. Thanks for that, and for the beautiful photo of a beautiful peanut. I only own one true peanut, a (lighter) blue Case, but several peanut sized knives from Buck and Schrade. I'll have to figure out how to post photos and add to this thread.
Thanks I like how it turned out (midnight blue) :thumbsup: I soaked it in RIT dye, hot water and vinegar.
The clip can be slid onto a belt or pocket lip. I end up using the chained versions when I have to wear a suit or slacks because it helps me retrieve the knife from the small coin pocket. In jeans, that coin pocket is angled and easy to access but in some dress pants the top of the coin pocket is often flat right up against the belt. There are other ways to carry with the chain maybe the same as a chained pocket watch.

Guys I have been patiently waiting to show off my Peanut mod project but it has not been a successful venture thus far.
My intention is to take a yellow CV Peanut, remove the pen blade, remove the bottom bolster, rehandle in african blackwood, and then install a hollow bottom pin. When I first started learning how to mod, I thought for sure the Peanut would be the easiest of them all to work with...but I was wrong :) I was so wrong.
Thus far, I've ruined at least 2 different Peanuts and I screwed up the recent 3rd attempt at redoing the other one. The problem is that these are not perfectly made to begin with so the alignments are not exact and then everything is so small...it is much more difficult to work with.
So on to plan B. I've decided that it would actually be easier for me to make my own liners versus tweaking on existing ones. Since I am going that route, I want to go with steel and make it an all steel build.
To be continued...

Guys I have been patiently waiting to show off my Peanut mod project but it has not been a successful venture thus far.
My intention is to take a yellow CV Peanut, remove the pen blade, remove the bottom bolster, rehandle in african blackwood, and then install a hollow bottom pin. When I first started learning how to mod, I thought for sure the Peanut would be the easiest of them all to work with...but I was wrong :) I was so wrong.
Thus far, I've ruined at least 2 different Peanuts and I screwed up the recent 3rd attempt at redoing the other one. The problem is that these are not perfectly made to begin with so the alignments are not exact and then everything is so small...it is much more difficult to work with.
So on to plan B. I've decided that it would actually be easier for me to make my own liners versus tweaking on existing ones. Since I am going that route, I want to go with steel and make it an all steel build.
To be continued...
Darren, I have heard for years the difficulty with building/modding small traditional knives. Although I've personally not pursued this I have great appreciation for well built pen/senator knives and all the detail they encompass:thumbsup:

[QUOTE="22-rimfire, post: 19352720, member: 149154". Almost bought another peanut. I noticed the first time observed a GEC that was peanut sized. Can anyone tell me something about this knife?
Added: I checked GEC's web site and I believe it's the Pemberton (2.75" closed). .[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the GEC Pemberton #6. Here is a pic of one (clip & pen blades) with a Peanut. The patina on the Pemberton is from apples....

The Pemberton is thicker, with carbon blades. GEC doesn’t make these every year.

My Peanut 6220 is slim & stainless. Both do just fine for me.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a Schrade 72OT USA for a while now. I know its not a real rare knife or a grail knife or anything, but it just seemed like I couldn't fine one that wasn't either rough or, IMHO, overpriced. I found one recently still sealed in the original clamshell package for an extremely reasonable price. Before I could finish checking out, somebody else bought it :( I thought, "Jeez its like a GEC drop. Things getting stolen right out of the cart. Robbed I tell ya." :eek:
But, I endeavored to persevere and found one that was in very good condition and reasonably priced :D Here it is with its more svelte brother the 12OT Pal:
zxrwjHD.jpg

I'm quite fond of these Schrades. I not only bought the 72OT, but two (yes, two :rolleyes: ) 33OT's. Been trying to find a reasonable one of these for a while also.

I'd take a 72ot over newer case offerings of the peanut.

At 3.01" closed . . . . is it still a peanut??

H0H9CrX.jpg

Technically a small dogleg, but close enough. (It's better than a peanut) :D :thumbsup:

Paul, I agree! The dogleg has a reverse serpentine to the peanut: the peanut curves down and then up towards the pivot, while the dogleg curves up and then down.

Paul, I agree! The dogleg has a reverse serpentine to the peanut: the peanut curves down and then up towards the pivot, while the dogleg curves up and then down.

If a small dogleg isn't considered a peanut then you can always flip it over it to cheat and make it one. :D

Here is an older version of your knife. Not really much different. This one is very peanut-y to me because the jigging and color look like a real peanut. The size and shape are also appropriate to consider it peanut-y.

IMG_5813.jpg

If a small dogleg isn't considered a peanut then you can always flip it over it to cheat and make it one. :D

Here is an older version of your knife. Not really much different. This one is very peanut-y to me because the jigging and color look like a real peanut. The size and shape are also appropriate to consider it peanut-y.

View attachment 1235067

Paul, that's a little gem!
I agree with Jeff Paul:thumbsup: I have the twin to Jeff's and an old Cut Co like your's but in a pearl acrylic. That bone version of yours is a looker!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Back