Cult of the peanut , members

Yt8gMOc.jpg

I posted this in 2013, but Photobucket imploded since then. So here it is again yo. Back then I blamed this on Mr. Carl, and I still do.

Doc, I gotta warn ya of a danger that is distinctly the realm of the small knives and small guns.

With the peanuts, its very likely you will find the little legumes multiplying. This is a known phenomenon common with not only peanuts, but 'other' small knives like baby copperheads, butter beans, and small pen knives. When I got into the NAA mini's, I found the same phenomena at play. Not only did I find a 'spare' peanut class of pocket knife in another pocket, but a second mini after a while in company with the original mini. With my first mini in my right hand pants pocket, I would be startled to find another mini in an inside waist band holster in the appendix position, or in a back pocket, or even in a miniature flap holster on the right hip. :eek:

I have no idea how this happened, but I can only presume that the mini's, like the mighty mite peanut, tend to travel in schools like piranha.:confused: They do seem to like company of their own kind, and if one is present, its only a matter of time until you find another hiding out on or near you. Many of the members of The Cult have begun with only one lonely legume, but somehow found themselves with more as time went on. This only works out so well because of the small size, its very easy to 'accumulate' multiple peanuts or minis on your personal. ;)

Be veeeery careful, Doc, they do tend to multiply.
:D

Oh by the way Doc, since you are a new member of The Cult, you can expect in the near future to be surprised by a fat man in a rumple white suit and a red Fez, in a yellow New York city Checker cab driven by a midget. Do not be alarmed, they are there to take you to the place of initiation to the The Cult. Sorry, but you do have to wear a blindfold.

What, are you reading my mind?? Watching me from afar?? Cause I’ve been eyeing those exact small knives you mention. “Maybe if I found one like the Peanut but just a couple 8ths of an inch larger... wonder how that would feel??”

I have a drawer of various sized slipjoints and, at night, Ill open the drawer and consider a couple. In short order, I decide the Peanut is better for me. No sharp corners or sharp tangs. Everything is just so smooth. Rounded bolsters. Extremely light and pocket friendly. Fine precision when you wield either blade. I even prefer the half stop.

I’ve told my wife to expect me to be whisked away one night in a yellow cab. She rolled her eyes.

Dean

What, are you reading my mind?? Watching me from afar?? Cause I’ve been eyeing those exact small knives you mention. “Maybe if I found one like the Peanut but just a couple 8ths of an inch larger... wonder how that would feel??”

I have a drawer of various sized slipjoints and, at night, Ill open the drawer and consider a couple. In short order, I decide the Peanut is better for me. No sharp corners or sharp tangs. Everything is just so smooth. Rounded bolsters. Extremely light and pocket friendly. Fine precision when you wield either blade. I even prefer the half stop.

I’ve told my wife to expect me to be whisked away one night in a yellow cab. She rolled her eyes.

Dean

I think the mini copperhead, Eisenhower, butter bean and even the 58mm and 74mm SAK's all have the same appeal; that of being the small pocket knife that can be dropped in a pocket and forgot about until needed. No hassle to carry, but enough to open packages, cut twine, or other mundane cutting jobs most pocket knives are used for in the real world. Nice smooth contours that don't wear pocket linings, and small enough to go almost anywhere.

My friend, Rick, has carried an old Wenger patriot for the 25 years I've known him, just as my friend Wayne has carried his little Buck 309 companion for over 30 years. They both are not knife nuts, and think I'm more than a little craze for my love of knives, but they are both in the mindset that you should have some kind of sharp cutting tool on you for both convenance and the once in a lifetime emergency.

Small is convenient, and that means it will be there with you when you need it. And like I often use as an example, most cutting jobs can be done with a one inch blade of a utility knife. I'l never forget watching that U.S. Park ranger giving the demonstration of using a flake of obsidian the size of your index finger to skin and slice up the hunch of a road killed deer to show how the native Americans used stone tool pre Columbian era. It was amazing to watch that little flake of black obsidian cut right through hide and meat with gentle over lapping stokes. It wa s a 'WOW' moment for me. Like watching my old friend and co-worker, Andy, dress out the opening day Buck with a little Buck 303 cadet. He just used the the same pocket knife he always carried and was used to. It did just fine.

Small knives, small guns, all will do just fine if you do your part.

Last edited:
I think the mini copperhead, Eisenhower, butter bean and even the 58mm and 74mm SAK's all have the same appeal; that of being the small pocket knife that can be dropped in a pocket and forgot about until needed. No hassle to carry, but enough to open packages, cut twine, or other mundane cutting jobs most pocket knives are used for in the real world. Nice smooth contours that don't wear pocket linings, and small enough to go almost anywhere.

My friend, Rick, has carried an old Wenger patriot for the 25 years I've known him, just as my friend Wayne has carried his little Buck 309 companion for over 30 years. They both are not knife nuts, and think I'm more than a little craze for my love of knives, but they are both in the midst that you should have some kind of sharp cutting tool on you for both convenance and the once in a lifetime emergency.

Small is convenient, and that means it will be there with you when you need it. And like I often use as an example, most cutting jobs can be done with a one inch blade of a utility knife. I'l never forget watching that U.S. Park ranger giving the demonstration of using a flake of obsidian the size of your index finger to skin and slice up the hunch of a road killed deer to show how the native Americans used stone tool pre Columbian era. It was amazing to watch that little flake of black obsidian cut right through hide and meat with gentle over lapping stokes. It wa s a 'WOW' moment for me. Like watching my old friend and co-worker, Andy, dress out the opening day Buck with a little Buck 303 cadet. He just used the the same pocket knife he always carried and was used to. It did just fine.

Small knives, small guns, all will do just fine if you do your part.

In the last two days my little peanut has cut bait, cut fishing line, sharpened Y sticks to rest a fishing pole, opened bags of mulch, cut twine for the garden, opened mail, and at the end of the days, the little pen blade cleaned the dirt out of my fingernails. There really isn’t anything else I need a knife to do.

One very nice thing that happened today… I put on shorts for the first time this year and typically I have to change my pocket knife when it’s shorts weather. Not anymore.

In the last two days my little peanut has cut bait, cut fishing line, sharpened Y sticks to rest a fishing pole, opened bags of mulch, cut twine for the garden, opened mail, and at the end of the days, the little pen blade cleaned the dirt out of my fingernails. There really isn’t anything else I need a knife to do.

One very nice thing that happened today… I put on shorts for the first time this year and typically I have to change my pocket knife when it’s shorts weather. Not anymore.

Welcome to the world of small, doc.

I bet the NAA also fits in the shorts pocket very well too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The little Peanut and I had a nice weekend. Little bit of fishing on Saturday and a lot of yard work the rest of the weekend. This included building a more permanent garden fence complete with a door. Now have read similar musing by Carl, but like most things, you have to experience/realize it yourself before it really sinks in; if a small knife won't cut it...a little bit larger knife probably won't cut it either. When I ran into cutting tasks in regards to my fence, if my Peanut wasn't enough, a medium stockman, large stockman, or larger trapper would not have completed the job either.

I thought I'd try out post hole expanding foam in lieu of quick set concrete for the posts I attached my door to. It works, but man does it expand! Once you let it set up for 2 hours, you trim off the excess. And there was a lot to trim. I had to break out my 10" machete. By the way, if you need to dull a knife so you can practice your sharpening skills, the foam will be happy to oblige.

So, if a medium/large pocket knife won't handle much more than a Peanut, why not make your pants pocket happy and carry the smaller knife. Plus, with the Peanut, you don't have to change your carry knife when you move from pants weather to shorts weather. This is what went through my head after today's work.

The little Peanut and I had a nice weekend. Little bit of fishing on Saturday and a lot of yard work the rest of the weekend. This included building a more permanent garden fence complete with a door. Now have read similar musing by Carl, but like most things, you have to experience/realize it yourself before it really sinks in; if a small knife won't cut it...a little bit larger knife probably won't cut it either. When I ran into cutting tasks in regards to my fence, if my Peanut wasn't enough, a medium stockman, large stockman, or larger trapper would not have completed the job either.

I thought I'd try out post hole expanding foam in lieu of quick set concrete for the posts I attached my door to. It works, but man does it expand! Once you let it set up for 2 hours, you trim off the excess. And there was a lot to trim. I had to break out my 10" machete. By the way, if you need to dull a knife so you can practice your sharpening skills, the foam will be happy to oblige.

So, if a medium/large pocket knife won't handle much more than a Peanut, why not make your pants pocket happy and carry the smaller knife. Plus, with the Peanut, you don't have to change your carry knife when you move from pants weather to shorts weather. This is what went through my head after today's work.

Sounds like sound reasoning to me, doc. But then I'm maybe i'm just a wee bit prejudiced in that area.:D

I now what you mean by the foam dulling a blade. I used some of it to seal up a gap where the AC line goes into the house. I used my old 12 inch Ontario machete and it was like I'd cut up some sandpaper. Weird stuff!

Sounds like you and the mighty legume are bonding good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yt8gMOc.jpg

I posted this in 2013, but Photobucket imploded since then. So here it is again yo. Back then I blamed this on Mr. Carl, and I still do.

Is this what they mean by “The peanut gallery”?! Great collection!

Also - quick question to everyone here:
I sharpen my knives with a whetstone, kitchen sharpening/honing steel rod, and/or a leather strop (old belt). All my knives are razor sharp and cut paper with little-to-no force; however my peanuts never sharpen as evenly. I sometimes get really lucky, but not every time.

... so for my question: what do you Guys use/do to keep these little nuts sharp?

Is this what they mean by “The peanut gallery”?! Great collection!

Also - quick question to everyone here:
I sharpen my knives with a whetstone, kitchen sharpening/honing steel rod, and/or a leather strop (old belt). All my knives are razor sharp and cut paper with little-to-no force; however my peanuts never sharpen as evenly. I sometimes get really lucky, but not every time.

... so for my question: what do you Guys use/do to keep these little nuts sharp?
I just use diamond stones, ceramic, and a leather strip. I have a work sharp field sharpener that is all that in one compact package. Works good enough for me.

I just use diamond stones, ceramic, and a leather strip. I have a work sharp field sharpener that is all that in one compact package. Works good enough for me.
I typically use the worksharp field sharpener. I'm no stranger to sharpening and can do a pretty good job, but the Peanut challenges me too. You are not alone. One piece of advice I've told myself is stop worrying about getting a razors edge on my pocket knives. I don't NEED them to shave. And they lose the razors edge after one cardboard box tear down. If my knife will catch my nail, it's good enough for me.

I typically use the worksharp field sharpener. I'm no stranger to sharpening and can do a pretty good job, but the Peanut challenges me too. You are not alone. One piece of advice I've told myself is stop worrying about getting a razors edge on my pocket knives. I don't NEED them to shave. And they lose the razors edge after one cardboard box tear down. If my knife will catch my nail, it's good enough for me.
I like to keep more of a course edge on my knives. Seems to do just fine for my needs and holds a good edge longer. Also it doesn't take up to much time to sharpen it back up. I have notice my peanut wasn't ground perfectly even and that can cause sharpening problems for those obsessed with hair splitting edges. I'm not picky so a sharp enough edge works just fine for me. It's going to get dull again no matter how sharp it is. Other people have different opinions on sharpness then me and that's cool.

Thanks everyone for the wise words regarding sharpening - I guess I am overthinking it a bit. I always forget about the ceramic mugs! Great reminder! As a kid, my neighbor was a marine and always sharpened his knives on his opened car door window... I haven’t done that much.

Report:
fBsItgJ.jpg

My peanut was sharp enough for most of my tasks on my recent camping trip in our National Forest area. The 1.5 inch thick, bacon-wrapped New York strips didn’t even stand a chance against the mighty nut! I guess that should be sharp enough for me as an edc (paper slices or not).

Last edited:
I like to keep more of a course edge on my knives. Seems to do just fine for my needs and holds a good edge longer. Also it doesn't take up to much time to sharpen it back up. I have notice my peanut wasn't ground perfectly even and that can cause sharpening problems for those obsessed with hair splitting edges. I'm not picky so a sharp enough edge works just fine for me. It's going to get dull again no matter how sharp it is. Other people have different opinions on sharpness then me and that's cool.

As a former sharpness junkie, I can attest to this.

I still keep a good sharp edge, but honestly, the amount of work it takes to get it that hair-splitting level of sharpness takes a bit, and maintaining it takes an almost obsessive level of maintenance.

These days, I just keep my knife sharp enough to do the day to day jobs, and maintain some durability.

Because it's like you said... it won't stay that sharp.

It's been many years since I bothered to do any more than working sharp. As long as I can open packages, cut twine on one swipe, open my mail smoothly, then its good enough for me to get through my day in my life as a suburbanite. I'm not planning on doing surgery with my pocket knife, nor do I shave with it, or even trim around the edges of my beard with it.

Most things you'd use a peanut on, or any peanut class of pocket knife is not going to be that tough. Its a little pocket knife. You won't be doing any lumbering operations, or large scale butchering of buffaloes. So for most pocket knife job working sharp is good enough.

Back