Cult of the peanut , members

Thanks a lot Andi! I'm glad it turned out pretty well. At first I was kicking myself for not getting the Chestnut, which Case does very well, but I'm happy now to have a companion to that old redbone barlow.

Lemmy, that dyed peanut looks excellent! (But I'll bet it takes a while before it "shows the character" displayed in the yellow delrin peanut you posted a little earlier in this thread.)

- GT

I had a blue bone with red badge peanut and decided I needed another peanut, I got Schatt & Morgan Keystone: Gentlemen's Peanut - Genuine Stag. Looks really good, but it feel off to have to used to the mismatched thickness of the stag scales. I guess that it is the way it was supposed to be. I am sure that I will be able to adapt. I need to get together my camera and finally start taking some pics some pic of my new acquisitions

Since I gave this one a couple tea soaks and turned it from pink to full redbone its found a steady spot in my watch pocket. Small sharp and snappy.

Finally got a yellow CV. Sorry for the bad pic. Not sure why it's like that.

9EBB499A-EC2D-4372-899C-D0AA075013A0_zps7o9iomoa.jpg

Just got my New Redbone Peanut in yesterday. The fit and finish on this one was just perfect. centered blades, no gaps, no wobble. The only problem is the bone was PINK. Sorry I didn't get any before pics. I immediately dropped it in a cup of very very strong Indian Assam Tea overnight. Here it is the next day with its Grandpa Redbone, an Old Case Barlow that I'm reblading right now.

Lemmy, do you take requests? :) Any chance you can post a side-by-side shot of your yellow and redbone peanuts with clip blades open? They both look great in the pics you've posted recently, and I'm trying to decide which has the more admirable patina. :D

- GT

Well here they are side by side, basically the same lighting. Full disclosure: The yellow has had multiple patinas built up and partially rubbed off over the years. I got it from another member on the exchange and it came with a dark black patina, but I wanted to start fresh with it and put my own earned patina on it. And the Redbone... well most of that is from the Tea soak. The blades got dark black, but most of it rubbed away. Then I just cut up a couple sausages at a party and presto instant smooth grey patina.

Thanks a million, Lemmy! Those are such classic Peanuts :thumbup::thumbup:
And thanks for the "patina history"; one thing that had been puzzling me was that I thought your first photo of your newly-dyed peanut showed quite shiny blades, but another photo showed a beautiful patina. I thought maybe it was just a difference in lighting, but a difference in sausage-cutting makes more sense :D

- GT

I thought maybe it was just a difference in lighting, but a difference in sausage-cutting makes more sense :D

- GT

It doesn't take much at all to patina that CV. Look at it the wrong way and it starts turning blue and pink and gray. Lovely stuff IMO

Wowee, Wazu!

That peanut must be a pocketful :D

Great holiday pic, Lemmy! :thumbup:
Everybody sing along:
Redbones roasting on an open fire…

- GT

Back