Cult of the peanut , members

Recent convertee here...Been carrying this one for the last few months, now on the hunt for a damascus or a sloped bolster model.
F919A4A0-5499-4F5C-8006-E9410AF0C859_zpscxaz8t7d.jpg

I ran across a cool looking Pocket Worn Orange Peanut in a Shop. I really liked it, so I bought it. After carrying it for a while, I liked it more. So I bought a few more. They certainly are addictive. I am pretty sure this is not the end of the small little collection. The Butter Rum Corelon is a great looking knife. The pics do not do it justice. When it is out in the sunlight it is really cool looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Frank.
I found another post elsewhere that had detailed pics
of the photobucket process, and I got it to work once.
Using my "smartphone", so I will get some pics on it, and then
have to be on good wifi to upload to pb... then will get them here!

Although not a peanut, I was recently gifted a Case medium stockman for Christmas. Coming from a strictly tactical knife background it was my first traditional slipjoint. My work has a no weapon policy, so I thought what better to throw in my pocket? It's small, discreet, sheeple friendly, the exact opposite of what I usually carried. It gets used multiple times a days often having to cut through quite difficult material being that I work in a machine shop. It does the job exceptionally well, without complaint, and with under 3" of crappy, non-super steel. It is a humble knife that out performs knives many times its price. To make a long story short, it has made me completely rethink what I need in a knife. Now the only knives on my short list are traditional slipjoints. Thank you Case. I hope this qualifies me as an honorary member of the Cult.

Although not a peanut, I was recently gifted a Case medium stockman for Christmas. Coming from a strictly tactical knife background it was my first traditional slipjoint. My work has a no weapon policy, so I thought what better to throw in my pocket? It's small, discreet, sheeple friendly, the exact opposite of what I usually carried. It gets used multiple times a days often having to cut through quite difficult material being that I work in a machine shop. It does the job exceptionally well, without complaint, and with under 3" of crappy, non-super steel. It is a humble knife that out performs knives many times its price. To make a long story short, it has made me completely rethink what I need in a knife. Now the only knives on my short list are traditional slipjoints. Thank you Case. I hope this qualifies me as an honorary member of the Cult.

Congrats on discovering the wonderful old-fashioned slipjoint pocket knife. They really do get you through 99% of what a pocket knife could be expected to perform. Having more than one blade on tap is a great advantage too.

The Stockman is probably my favorite pattern. I have three of them and they dominate carry time in my RFP a large part of the time.

I've not missed modern knives at all. For a number of years I did carry them, but I never had any attachment to them in the least - they were just tools. Somehow old-fashioned traditional pocket knives have a personality to them sort of and they're very much a part of me.

I realize this will likely get me drummed out of the "Cult" but i recently bought a Northwoods Norfolk because it reminded me of a "nut," although a little longer and a Pen rather than a Jack ,the main blade opens easily, no half stop but still has some snap, the tiny pen blade at the other end is also easy to open, blade steel is 1095 so it will take a patina if you want. Of course i would never part with my much loved Chestnut Bone Peanut but i have to say the smooth opening and extra length is easier for my increasingly stiffening hands and means the Norfolk is getting more pocket time as backup to my primary EDC #66 Calf Roper. The only real downside i have found to the Norfolk is as far as i can tell it is intended as a whittler so is only really comfortable in the hand in the draw cut position, but as i did not get it as a heavy use knife that is not a problem.

bjwUgDPl.jpg

I realize this will likely get me drummed out of the "Cult" but i recently bought a Northwoods Norfolk because it reminded me of a "nut," although a little longer and a Pen rather than a Jack ,the main blade opens easily, no half stop but still has some snap, the tiny pen blade at the other end is also easy to open, blade steel is 1095 so it will take a patina if you want. Of course i would never part with my much loved Chestnut Bone Peanut but i have to say the smooth opening and extra length is easier for my increasingly stiffening hands and means the Norfolk is getting more pocket time as backup to my primary EDC #66 Calf Roper. The only real downside i have found to the Norfolk is as far as i can tell it is intended as a whittler so is only really comfortable in the hand in the draw cut position, but as i did not get it as a heavy use knife that is not a problem.

bjwUgDPl.jpg

That's a downright pretty knife no matter what it's called. And don't worry oldman, nobody is getting drummed out of The Cult. I know firsthand about age and stiffening fingers, and grieve about not b ring able to carry and use a peanut anymore. Besides, I think 3 inch knives are all cousins somewhere long the line. :thumbup:

That's a downright pretty knife no matter what it's called. And don't worry oldman, nobody is getting drummed out of The Cult. I know firsthand about age and stiffening fingers, and grieve about not b ring able to carry and use a peanut anymore. Besides, I think 3 inch knives are all cousins somewhere long the line. :thumbup:

Thank you for your understanding sir, i hope your fingers never get to stiff to type out your entertaining tales. I agree with you about all three inch knives being cousins but i do not think any of them can replace a well used peanut as a familiar in the hand like worry beads. Regards Bob...

I couldn't take it anymore...I ordered an Orange Synthetic / SS Peanut to replace my Yellow / CV one. Will post pics as soon as it comes in!

Last edited:
BrotherJim, I love your peanuts, too; nice trio! :thumbup::thumbup: Will you give us some details about the top one with the "dimpled" bolsters?
Welcome to BF, and to the Traditional subforum in particular! :)

- GT

Thanks for the extra pics/info, BrotherJim! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

Thanks 5k Qs !!! I like the worked bolsters particularly on the Peanut because of a likeness and texture to an actual peanut LoL. The stag and worked bolsters have a nice "hand" too.

Thanks Jackknife !!! It's a carry that may be in my pocket any given day although you're more likely to find me with the yellow handled one. The jigged brown delrin I use the least, probably because it is the best made of the three. I can't find anything wrong with it ... but it's still a carry too.

Back