Curious about buck 916

coolbreezy37

Gold Member
Hello everyone. I just saw that buck added the 916 on their website and I’m very intrigued by the beautiful “classic Bowie” lines of the knife. I have a couple of questions that hopefully you guys can answer. How durable is the knife? Like for everyday outdoor use? I don’t plan on doing any crazy abusive things like batoning or cutting cinder blocks. Just things like minor chopping, feathering and occasional rope cutting. Basically a camp, fishing and hunting knife. Also how thick is the blade? I can’t find any info on that. I have a buck 120 and 650 w/ the satin blade which both saw fairly heavy use and was pleased with their performance. I also have a 192 vanguard I’ve never used. All of them 20+ years old. The 916 seems like a collectors display knife and I plan on putting it to use. I just need a little reassurance before I pull the trigger on a $250 knife. Thanks Damien

I’ve never held or used one, but all Buck knives are meant to be used. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.

not a good pick for a user. the handle is so thin and short it isnt very useable for workin. could ya sure. especially if ya have teeny tiny hands, but its a display made knife.

there are othe posts all about this. search engine will find them and give ya pics in hand etc.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand why they’d make the handle so small. I have an old carbon V trail master and the handle on that is too small. This looks half the size of the trail master handle.

I really don’t understand why they’d make the handle so small. I have an old carbon V trail master and the handle on that is too small. This looks half the size of the trail master handle.
I asked once and got the answer from Jeff...

"This is what I got from our Special Projects Manager

"The knife was designed as replica of the original Bowie. I teamed it up the model 94 Winchester 30/30 for a 100 year anniversary. It just so happened that the Geronimo dagger we were doing had the same handle design as the Bowie. All I needed to do was change the front configuration of the blade. The guard also matched the Bowie I was replicating. Hope that helps."

Jeff"

here is the thread with pics in hand of mine...and I have tiny little girl sized hands. look how pic of other JB holding his with two fingers looks...shows it all.....

I stand corrected. I’d get the 124 instead. That definitely has a large handle.

I stand corrected. I’d get the 124 instead. That definitely has a large handle.
naw it is able to be used and lifetime warranty, you weren't wrong. just a poor choice. 124 is far better user and size handle.

sad part is Buck could fix that silly handle and it would be a great knife.....but they just don't seem to want to for some reason.

Back