Current Military and Law Enforcement Knives

I'm curious what the military is issuing the troops these days.
Folders more than than fixed, but I'd be interested in the latter, too.

The same goes for today's law enforcement personnel.
I'm primary concerned with the USA but welcome other countries representation.

Thanks to those serving out there :thumbsup:

The issue stuff now is normally a multitool.
Thanks, that's interesting.
Do you mean military or law enforcement? Maybe both?
Do you know what kind/brand? I guess what I'm trying to discern is if troops still get something with US stamped on it, or are they getting Leathermans or SOGs etc. complete with brand name? I'm curious if the military uses a current company's product, or whether they're having something produced to their specs.

Gerber multi-tool for the military.
Black finish. Not marked other than standard Gerber markings.
Different nylon sheath though.
Other brands may also be used but, all I saw were Gerber.

When my unit received multi-tools, they were being issued by your MOS. Very few people got them and you had to sign for them. Commo and some combat engineers got them,IIRC. My MOS did not qualify.

It’s my understanding that now pretty much everybody carries one.

Benchmade’s 551 Griptilian has a NSN# and is in the military’s supply system but, I don’t think it is standard issue. I have the number and can post it if you want.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll find it to be universal across the military, even within branches.

My days as a USAF Security Police/Forces trooper who did a lot of Air Base Defense, we got an M9, Leatherman and a Camillus "scout" knife. But you only got those if you were on the ABD team and that wasn't even consistent base to base.

I know you asked for current just sharing for some background.

I doubt you'll find it to be universal across the military, even within branches.

My days as a USAF Security Police/Forces trooper who did a lot of Air Base Defense, we got an M9, Leatherman and a Camillus "scout" knife. But you only got those if you were on the ABD team and that wasn't even consistent base to base.

I know you asked for current just sharing for some background.

I am assuming your “scout” knife is what we called a “demo” knife.
Basically the same thing as a Victorinox Pioneer.

No knife was ever issued to me as an LEO. I only carried a Gerber multi-tool that I bought myself on my belt.

The two I personally know carry gas station/flea market folding knives. o_O:(

That has been my experience also. One officer I know carries a Kershaw that he took away from some punk.

Also, my little experience with the military has been that most servicemembers carry the cheapest thing they can get their hands on. CRKT or whatever the exchange has to offer. Most of the guys don’t take care of them either.

I remember loaning out my folder to a guy in the Commo section. The knife came back looking like a cross cut saw.

I know a few police officers, and none of them have been issued any knife or multi-tool (one of 'em is SWAT, still no bladed tool), but they all carry a variety of stuff that they've purchased themselves. All of the military folks I know, same thing. The infantry/Marine guys I know were issued multi-tools, but any knives they carried were those they purchased themselves.

I heard a few years ago that the US Navy Seals were carrying the SOG seal pup fixed blades, also the US Marines used the Cold Steel SRK fixed blades in training. I can't personally say this is true though because it's only what I've read, but it would make sense to me with those 2 being very durable combat style survival knives.

My local police force does not issue knives to their officers. Many officers do not carry a knife on them. Many others do but cheap crappy knives that would fail under just about any work besides cutting a piece of tape that they bought at a hardware store for $3...
Police departments rarely equip their officers with much needed gear - they are given the bare minimum and anything beyond that is on the officer to buy.

My guess is an officer who doesn’t make too much money doesn’t want to spend a bunch of money on a knife that is getting thrashed at work, like popping windows and doors. So whatever the cheapest thing that can get the job done will do for most. Just a guess.

You should remember that some of the military gear that is issued may come from a special purchase by a unit or command.

Even if it has a national stock number it may fall in the above category. This can explain why some companies are claiming that their gear is military issue.

Back