Current military, EMS, Firefighters and Law enforcement what are you or did you carr

Status
Not open for further replies.
U want a hard use knife my grandfather has an old case slip joint older than me he carries everyday, that man uses that knife for everything in a new knifes paperwork it says NOT to use your blade for and it's held up fine. Bottom line , any folder can be hard use, and in the right hands any knife can be tactical just like the most tactical of tacticool knives is only a knife if the person with it has no clue what they are doing...Just saying

I tried to be practical and got an Endura to save on weight. However I burnt through two when the integrated FRN clips snapped off. So back to the Police. Lesson learned. Never looked at the Endura again even when they got steel clips.

That's very similar to what I did, only I did go back to the Endura quite a few years later. I would buy 5 at a time and have no problem tossing one to a team member in any situation without worrying what would happen to it. I would grind the point a bit so it sat somewhere between the Rescue profile and the original Endura. It retained plenty of point, but I could still get under belts, clothes, bandages, tourniquets....etc...safely. That's likely a different view than a lot of folks probably have though, as we looked at them as more of a disposable field item. Same way I looked at higher quality trauma shears.

Last edited:
I retired from the Army in 2004. For the last several years my EDC was a Boker 8288 pen.

Boker%25208828%2520Pen.jpg

I'm currently in Afghanistan and EDCing a Victorinox Farmer and a 50+year old Ulster 180/Craftsman 9507.

Bagram%2520Hat%2520and%2520Vic%2520Farmer.JPG

Ulster%2520180%2520-%2520Craftsman%25209507%2520Open.JPG

I read may forums on this site, certainly enjoy doing so. And since I am not allowed in one area, I do not post there. But outside that forum framework, I expect to see all types of post daily. And typically within 3-5 post I can determine if any thing tweaks my interest. The "mouse" is my gatekeeper, as with all on any site. Two Weeks ago I had a GAW in this same forum, GKD. Sure to form and to point the usual suspects appeared and ran through a "FREE" GAW, "FREE". Yet comments were still made. I do not know the OP , but I know he has the right to post within this area free of harassment, free of rude comments, and free of General Bull. I also know that as a forum, and yes I check my search engine often, many top knife dealers, Mfg, Collectors and Experts, DO NOT post on Bladeforums, because of this point. Anyone that can locate other sites, or forums will see them posting this fact on those sites. Why would they want the drama, the problems and the fact that it does cost them sales, real $$$$. Several recent threads on this site address this very issue. Sad but the very top shelf guys, many are not here, regardless of a gifted membership from a loyal customer, or supporter. Check for yourself and see how many Production, Custom, and specialty shops have addressed this issue within the last year. Some may have been at fault, but regardless, to supporters of that brand, communication was shutdown, because someone or a group chose to attack them outside "the Community" where heads turn the other way, Sometimes. Search again and see how many times a Mod has said "next" time. And within the last 6 months see that did not even stop the actions of violators. OP and others, just know that others still read your post, enjoy them and want open communication without the drama. And not everyone requires a group to help them understand the points of a conversation. I gain a lot of knowledge here in GKD, closing threads robs that opportunity. Thanks Josh for accepting your prize in my GAW, look forward to doing another soon. rb

I have in the past, placed 2 thread's in the WTB forum (seeking to buy a DD2000), but those thread's, mysteriously disappeared. If anyone here on the forum knows where I could find one of these, I would be eternally grateful.

View attachment 500845
Have you done a search in W&C ?

I tried to be practical and got an Endura to save on weight. However I burnt through two when the integrated FRN clips snapped off. So back to the Police. Lesson learned. Never looked at the Endura again even when they got steel clips.
I snapped one, boy that was a while ago.
I've been away from Spyderco for a while but haven't heard one negative thing about the revised clip Enduras.
Does anybody know when the integrated clips were d/ced ?

DC

I read may forums on this site, certainly enjoy doing so. And since I am not allowed in one area, I do not post there. But outside that forum framework, I expect to see all types of post daily. And typically within 3-5 post I can determine if any thing tweaks my interest. The "mouse" is my gatekeeper, as with all on any site. Two Weeks ago I had a GAW in this same forum, GKD. Sure to form and to point the usual suspects appeared and ran through a "FREE" GAW, "FREE". Yet comments were still made. I do not know the OP , but I know he has the right to post within this area free of harassment, free of rude comments, and free of General Bull. I also know that as a forum, and yes I check my search engine often, many top knife dealers, Mfg, Collectors and Experts, DO NOT post on Bladeforums, because of this point. Anyone that can locate other sites, or forums will see them posting this fact on those sites. Why would they want the drama, the problems and the fact that it does cost them sales, real $$$$. Several recent threads on this site address this very issue. Sad but the very top shelf guys, many are not here, regardless of a gifted membership from a loyal customer, or supporter. Check for yourself and see how many Production, Custom, and specialty shops have addressed this issue within the last year. Some may have been at fault, but regardless, to supporters of that brand, communication was shutdown, because someone or a group chose to attack them outside "the Community" where heads turn the other way, Sometimes. Search again and see how many times a Mod has said "next" time. And within the last 6 months see that did not even stop the actions of violators. OP and others, just know that others still read your post, enjoy them and want open communication without the drama. And not everyone requires a group to help them understand the points of a conversation. I gain a lot of knowledge here in GKD, closing threads robs that opportunity. Thanks Josh for accepting your prize in my GAW, look forward to doing another soon. rb

SPOT ON TREESHAKER!!!

I for one, am getting so sick & tired of seeing thread's like this, getting taken over by a bunch of insecure, overly sensitive, rude, jerks!

Mic77- Please know, that my earlier post in your thread (Death Dealer 2000), was not an attempt to take a jab for this thread that you started, rather, I could see the direction that a couple of the rude poster's were attempting to take your thread, & thought I would try to add a little humor to lighten things up a bit. I came on this when there were only 4 posts & didn't think twice about anything being out of line, or condescending in your initial post.

I left for a couple of hours, & just as I expected, it spiraled even more off topic (to the point that RevDevil had to come on here & tell the stupid idiot's to knock it off). WTF is wrong with you guys?!?!

& just to get back on topic.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Kelama,

The ferris wheel of death gets high marks from me for operator tactics. :D

Happy New Year to you and All, a happy and healthy 2015.

DC

Been in for four years. Have carried a Benchmade 810 Contego the majority of the time, along with an old Gerber multitool. I honestly carried the Contego because I wouldn't have to worry about sharpening as much as my other knifes with crappy steel. I am on a AD military budget, so not many knives are owned by this guy.

Last edited:
Been in the German army until 97. We fought with mortars mounted on a tank.
Never needed a knife in the field

except once to cut a rope for some survival exercise. Couldn't use our former East German AK bayonets since they weren't sharpened so a car key did the trick.
Seriously why would one need normally need a knife?
I like knives and carry one all the time but in the military they think of everything for me and there was always a proper tool at hand when needed. Could I tighten some screws on a machine gun mount with an SAK? Sure but probably not as tight as it should be. Could I pry dirt of my boots with a leek? Sure but stick works better and costs less. Could I dig a trench with a bayonet? Probably very very slowly but why do they make us carry this foldable shovel all the time?;)
I imagine American soldiers aren't babied so much with tons of preparation and much more self reliant and ready to improvise with whatever they've got so that a knife finds lot more uses.

How about me outside the army? Nothing glorious there either. Yeah, a knife can open camping food pouches better than my teeth. Cutting firewood? I never ran out of little sticks lying around. Cutting ropes? What for? Tents already have rope and if you still need a certain length why cut the rope and make it shorter , if later you might need the whole length? Just tie away the excess.
The only critical thing I ever really needed a knife for was digging out a big splinter from my daughters hand and even that could probably have waited a few hours until the nearest hospital.
For real survival, a knife probably would be more important. Carving fishing spears, building traps and so on. But who here really needed to survive and wasn't just playing around a bit?

Inside the house I need kitchen knives of course but my edc blade mostly only cuts boxes, zip ties and blister packages if I'm too lazy to get a better tool for that.
I have lots of knives but to be honest they are kind of useless to me. I guess that's why I'm so happy every time I find an excuse to actually use one.
Same for multi tools. All they are good for is saving me a trip to my proper tools in the garage. Still a good enough reason for me to keep 2 of them lying around. Almost forgot, once the multi tools weren't close enough so I had to cut some insulation of a copper wire with my edc. Man was I happy. :p

I met a guy who's a firefighter (yes it's not LE or military I know), and he chose to carry an Opinel No. 9. Sometimes he has to cut clothes off people or free a person from a jammed seatbelt and he says his Opinel does an excellent job at that. He once had to cut a motorbiker's leather pants off to get to a wound and he was extremely impressed with how his Opinel zipped through that leather

I have a few friends in the british marines, but they aren't really knife people so I'd imagine they'd use whatever they were issued or whatever works as a cutting tool when needed

I met a guy who's a firefighter (yes it's not LE or military I know), and he chose to carry an Opinel No. 9. Sometimes he has to cut clothes off people or free a person from a jammed seatbelt and he says his Opinel does an excellent job at that. He once had to cut a motorbiker's leather pants off to get to a wound and he was extremely impressed with how his Opinel zipped through that leather

I have a few friends in the british marines, but they aren't really knife people so I'd imagine they'd use whatever they were issued or whatever works as a cutting tool when needed

That's the truth. Most people, military, LEOs, or whoever, don't give a second thought to carrying something more than a cheap jarbenza type knife. Then they pound on it, pry with it, neglect the hell out of it, and then throw it in a drawer or trashcan and go buy another jarbenza.

This is what I expected to hear guys carrying. But wanted to hear it from them. EMS guys don't think I am not including you because your input is not important. A whole post could be dedicated to the knives and work you do. This was just a post about tactical knives and I don't see EMS as tactical. I Think I am wrong there in the sense that your knives work along side the law enforcement and military so I apologies for that. I will add you to the title.

SPOT ON TREESHAKER!!!

I for one, am getting so sick & tired of seeing thread's like this, getting taken over by a bunch of insecure, overly sensitive, rude, jerks!

Mic77- Please know, that my earlier post in your thread (Death Dealer 2000), was not an attempt to take a jab for this thread that you started, rather, I could see the direction that a couple of the rude poster's were attempting to take your thread, & thought I would try to add a little humor to lighten things up a bit. I came on this when there were only 4 posts & didn't think twice about anything being out of line, or condescending in your initial post.

I left for a couple of hours, & just as I expected, it spiraled even more off topic (to the point that RevDevil had to come on here & tell the stupid idiot's to knock it off). WTF is wrong with you guys?!?!

& just to get back on topic.

Happy New Year!

No worries that video was funny off topic but damn funny. If I run across one I will let you know first thing.

This is what I expected to hear guys carrying. But wanted to hear it from them. EMS guys don't think I am not including you because your input is not important. A whole post could be dedicated to the knives and work you do. This was just a post about tactical knives and I don't see EMS as tactical. I Think I am wrong there in the sense that your knives work along side the law enforcement and military so I apologies for that. I will add you to the title.

I would have thought EMS does exactly what you said earlier

I also did not assume we were talking killing people. I see tactical as a hard use knife one that can go in extreme environments and preform mundane and crazy tasks.

Were you asking about fighting knives?

I would have thought EMS does exactly what you said earlier

Were you asking about fighting knives?

No I was not asking about fighting knives. My aim for this post was to hear what the people who are tactical use. I hear enough on here from tactical makers and critics of knives on what there version of tactical is and should be.

I am surprised at the small amount of fixed blades as that seems to be the biggest tactical market.

As I discovered long ago, most cops are not "gun nuts" or even gun "buffs". Likewise, most aren't knife buffs either. I will concede that most/many cops start carrying them if they didn't already because of the job, but most still only go for "a knife"...not an "Emerson", a "Spyderco", a "Benchmade", etc. I work for a department of about 115 officers and most carry knives probably under the $30 range (guessing here). I'd say knives ABOVE $75 are rare...probably about 20% (?)

These are just guesses.

I see many lower-line Gerbers, a few Bucks, and several Chinese "surgical stainless" :jerkit: knives or (worse) knockoff knives. Kershaw has a good presence too-mostly Leeks/Chives/Scallions, etc. but a couple of Blurs.

In the department I know of one captain that always carries (at least one) an Emerson, a civil deputy who carries one (because I gave it to him!) and a patrol sergeant who carries a ZT0350 (because I gave it to him!). Before that he was a dedicated Kershaw Blur guy (nothing wrong with that.)

We have a few (less than 5) that carry MOD/Blackhawk knives as we has a connection with the makers a while back (2008?) and some of the guys picked one up at some excellent prices.

I carried a Microtech D/A Socom in my pocket and a Camillus/Cuda Dominator clipped on my armor next to a Surefire E2 Outdoorsman. This was 2003. I was infantry.

No I was not asking about fighting knives. My aim for this post was to hear what the people who are tactical use. I hear enough on here from tactical makers and critics of knives on what there version of tactical is and should be.

I am surprised at the small amount of fixed blades as that seems to be the biggest tactical market.

You seem to be confusing serving in miltary or law enforcement (still not sure why you are excluding EMS and Fire) with "tactical" marketing nonsense. (Very common...that is what marketing is supposed to do. They are good at it. They play on fantasy.)

I have never seen an LEO with a fixed blade. And it seems from what I have heard people say around here that many military who carry "tactical" fixed blades are often considered silly and "ninja" by fellow service people. I believe there is a term for it.

Again, from what I have read in probably hundreds of identical threads to this (not really identical...none started by insulting everybody) is that:

1) Being what you call "tactical" does not make you a knife expert. (Though some, of course are very into knives.)
2) "Military"'s most often used knives are multitools to open MREs and pass the boredom. May pry some stuff once in a while.

Edited, off topic.

Last edited:
TinMan just because you don't like me does not mean you need to harass this post with your dribble. I did say I sent a friend in the army who deployed to Afghanistan an Emerson to be specific a p-sark. And to be clear I have never served and regret it but it is what it is. I hold the men and woman who do and have in the highest regard and you could show them a little respect and keep you negativity to yourself. You sir define LBTS

This goes for the rest of you chuckle heads whose delicate little feelings have been hurt you don't have to like me but you can show some respect for these people who are posting they work to keep you clowns safe. You want to take shots at me go right ahead but leave the people who are posting there knives alone they put up with dips like you all day.

Are you really making a "Stop harrassing me and respect the TROOPS!" argument? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back