Current military, EMS, Firefighters and Law enforcement what are you or did you carr

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I expected to hear guys carrying. But wanted to hear it from them. EMS guys don't think I am not including you because your input is not important. A whole post could be dedicated to the knives and work you do. This was just a post about tactical knives and I don't see EMS as tactical. I Think I am wrong there in the sense that your knives work along side the law enforcement and military so I apologies for that. I will add you to the title.

IMHO . I think their is a misconception that every thing a soldier is carrying .is or has to be tactical . this is not the case . platical is more to the point . that's why you will here more about folders and multi tools and SAK

I did mention at the beginning of the post the guys I know carry benchmade spyderco and cold steel but I suppose your feeling were so hurt you could not read that through the tears.

I also did not assume we were talking killing people. I see tactical as a hard use knife one that can go in extreme environments and preform mundane and crazy tasks. I talked to a guy in the store once who used his knife to pry open a file cabinet and another to kill and process a goat.

I never said you did not matter either just wanted to hear from the Military and Law enforcement not average knife users sorry if that bothers you.

So, what you're saying is that you yourself are one of the "so-called experts" you were referring to in your first post, correct? My experience then seems to be more relevant. All of the service members I know, am related to, work with, and have worked with all answered with primarily one response: Gerber multi-tool. On topic, awwwwww yeah.

This is what I expected to hear guys carrying. But wanted to hear it from them. EMS guys don't think I am not including you because your input is not important. A whole post could be dedicated to the knives and work you do. This was just a post about tactical knives and I don't see EMS as tactical. I Think I am wrong there in the sense that your knives work along side the law enforcement and military so I apologies for that. I will add you to the title.

Tell that to the FBI's Medic Team of agents with specialized pre-hospital medical skills who are imbedded with their SWAT teams, CIR group, and Hostage Rescue teams.

Are you really making a "Stop harrassing me and respect the TROOPS!" argument? Wow, that's sad.

That's a good point. I didn't see anybody disrespect the "tactical" people either. Other than to say that they are not de facto knife experts. :confused:

I was issued a Gerber multi part way through the deployment. Didn't like it. Traded to an Iraqi for cigarettes.

You seem to be confusing serving in miltary or law enforcement (still not sure why you are excluding EMS and Fire) with "tactical" marketing nonsense. (Very common...that is what marketing is supposed to do. They are good at it. They play on fantasy.)

I have never seen an LEO with a fixed blade. And it seems from what I have heard people say around here that many military who carry "tactical" fixed blades are often considered silly and "ninja" by fellow service people. I believe there is a term for it.

Again, from what I have read in probably hundreds of identical threads to this (not really identical...none started by insulting everybody) is that:

1) Being what you call "tactical" does not make you a knife expert. (Though some, of course are very into knives.)
2) "Military"'s most often used knives are multitools to open MREs and pass the boredom. May pry some stuff once in a while.

I think you missed my point. I Did not at any point give an opinion on what guys carry or what is or is not tactical.

I believe being the end user is far more important than a makers opinion. In this case people who most would consider in tactical line of work to be far more knowledgeable about what they use and how they use it. A maker may make a knife he consideres to be better but if the end user does not agree what good is the makers knife or opinion to the intended user.

I opened it up to EMS and Firefighters but in your haste to derail this thread again you must have missed that.

If my opening opinion offended you personally I don't no what to tell you except lighten up. And when you say everybody it only really seems to be a few that took offense but I guess that's evreybody who matters to you. But keep it up nothing will happen and you can run over to pirates cove where your buddies will prop up your feelings and let you know nothing will happen.

Please stick to the topic. I Have been warned by admin to keep to the topic so please let's do that.

Last edited:
I was issued a Gerber multi part way through the deployment. Didn't like it. Traded to an Iraqi for cigarettes.

A buddy of mine who's currently deployed has broken four of them (admittedly doing dumb things like trying to use the file as a prybar).

And when you say everybody it only really seems to be a few that took offense but I guess that's evreybody who matters to you.

I am pretty sure you did offend more members, they just didn't post.

But since you now include me, firefighter (volunteer) I can post.

For a long time I carried a ZT0301, now carry a Spyderco Military. Don't use them at 'work' since the tax payers give us a lot cooler toys to use.

I use them more on my day job as a plain old blue collar working guy.

I believe being the end user is far more important than a makers opinion. In this case people who most would consider in tactical line of work to be far more knowledgeable about what they use and how they use it. A maker may make a knife he consideres to be better but if the end user does not agree what good is the makers knife or opinion to the intended user.

Again, that assumption is incorrect. Of course you are free to believe it, but more than enough people in this thread have told you it is not the case.

Also you are assuming that the target audience for knives marketed as "tactical" is the people you are talking about. It isn't. The target audience is "civilians" who believe that those knives are used by high speed spec ops totally awesome operators and that having one themselves imbues upon them some of that awesomeness.

Its why there are women in bikinis in beer commercials.

If my opening opinion offended you personally I don't no what to tell you except lighten up. And when you say everybody it only really seems to be a few that took offense but I guess that's evreybody who matters to you. But keep it up nothing will happen and you can run over to pirates cove where your buddies will prop up your feelings and let you know nothing will happen.

You ARE partially correct. Only a few took offense when you insulted the expertise of every knife fan here who is not LEO/Military

Lately I see a lot of debate about what tactical knives should be. There seems to be some real opinionated so called experts around here. I for one want to here from guys with opinions that matter military and Law enforcement. Lets face it you guys and gals know better than anyone what works and what does not.

And what is this Pirate Cove that I am apparently a part of? Never been there or even heard of it.

I am closing this before it gets out of hand as I can see where this is going.Thanks to those who did post there knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back